Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack

Postby Staff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:34 am

cbp1

I've never been a big fan of the Clone Wars style figures, so it's hard to believe this is my favorite battle pack so far. Apart from one real gripe (and my typical hatred of the unbearably ugly clone face) this almost qualifies as "perfect".

First, lets get a good look at the figures... because honestly, that's why we buy battle packs:
cbp2

Starting on the left is a pair of Bomb Squad Troopers, showing off just how good orange looks on clone armor (and why I prefer to leave the helmets on). They remind me of the Utapau Troopers from Revenge of the Sith which I always liked, and they'll definitely stand out from the crowd of white helmets in anyone's collection. Next to them is a sand green highlighted Clone Trooper, with a unique paint scheme on the helmet torso and legs. Excellent for variety. On the right is the ARF Trooper in his slick proto-BikerScout helmet with asymmetric markings and more sand green highlights. A little disappointing that the torso is generic white armor and more so that the legs aren't even printed, but it's still a very respectable trooper in my book. The weapon selection is also very nice: two rifles, a standard sized blaster, and two sidearms. All your bases are covered. So that's the meat of the battle pack, what's left is some trivial vehicle to build just so Lego can still sell it as a construction toy right?

cbp4

Wrong. Instead of some awkward walker or generic spindly speeder bike & rock to hide behind, you get a solid, well designed BARC Speeder. So well designed in fact that they included one in another current set (I can only assume to make up for the lack of any other redeeming factors in that one, but that's for a different review).

cbp5

The green highlights look nice and use basic elements to easily swap out to better match with your favorite squad. Parts wise I don't see a lot of alt model possibilities, but it's a nice spread to add to your collection for future models.

cbp6

All together it's a well proportioned little speeder, and I genuinely have no complaints about it. You really get your $12 worth here. The only change to the set I would have pushed for would have been four unique new troopers instead of three with a stunt double. These things are meant to be bought several times over, and really, how many Bomb Squad Troopers do you need to have? Are they that bad at their job?

Price/Parts ratio: 10/10
Parts Selection: 10/10
Minifigs: 9/10
Construction: 10/10
Design: 10/10
Swoosh Factor: 10/10
Reviewer’s Tilt: 9/10
Final Score: 9.7

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/01/26/review-7913-clone-trooper-battle-pack/
Staff

Re: Review: 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack

Postby deco_droid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:53 am

[quote=staff]The weapon selection is also very nice: two riffles, a standard sized blaster, and two sidearms. All your bases are covered.

i'm really glad it comes with "riffles". i know i can always use extra "riffles"...

"this isn't a signature, but it sure looks like one..."
deco_droid

Postby Drock » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am

[quote=staff]how many Bomb Squad Troopers do you need to have? Are they that bad at their job?

A lot. Especially when a heavily-accented, producers-were-trying-too-hard mad scientist has dozens of bombs ready to release a deadly wirus at the touch of a button.

Just kidding...nice review.
Drock

Postby Solo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am

deco_droid wrote:[quote=staff]The weapon selection is also very nice: two riffles, a standard sized blaster, and two sidearms. All your bases are covered.

i'm really glad it comes with "riffles". i know i can always use extra "riffles"...

Haha, thanks Deco. Leave it to a Texan to lend a hand on that one when spellcheck failed me. :lol:

edit: Today I learned what a riffle is! And there sure aren't any in this battle pack...
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Am I the only one who hates the BARC?
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Solo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Probably not, what don't you like about it?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mofo Jones » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Somewhere in a aquatic-beast infested sea, a scuba diver is missing his spear gun. Still, good review. I'll get a couple of these before the year is out, but I'll probably wait for a sale unless I'm feeling flush with cash sometime when I'm at Target.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Solo wrote:Probably not, what don't you like about it?

Too blocky, white, ect. I like the use of bars in BARCs at least.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby mandalorian_marshall » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:50 pm

These things are meant to be bought several times over...

I know that that is still the intent of the battle packs, but (correct me if I'm wrong) these are the first battle packs that don't have a little logo on the front saying, "Build Your Army!". I wonder why they removed that.

Oh, and another great review. Thanks!
mandalorian_marshall

Postby Aharown » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:00 pm

This is a nice battle pack. The green trooper makes a nice sergeant, and I use the bomb troopers as ARC troopers, so extras are OK (although I would have preferred a pilot instead).

The speeder is much more accurate than the previous one - nice job, Lego.

I like the new, scoped pistols Lego has come out with now, too. More variety from the scope-less Captain Rex style.
<><
Aharown

Return to Reviews