Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Official FBTB Parts Draft: PoP Edition!

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Re: Official FBTB Parts Draft: PoP Edition!

Postby Jargon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Those sound like solid suggestions. Another idea might be to have one live, official Google Doc Spreadsheet (or something of the like) and update it before everyone's eyes in order to compensate for dunderheads like me.
Jargon

Postby Chief » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 pm

But would that be in addition to your own ranked inventory? That sounds like one inventory too many.
Chief

Postby Jargon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Perhaps. It would keep everyone on top of what was taken so far.
Jargon

Postby onions » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 am

i could put the spreadsheet i was updating on google docs for public viewing, but that's still a lot of inventories to keep track of.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Andi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 am

Sorry, that I had to be the proxy one. But there was no way that I could be on a computer at 4am...
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 am

No one is upset at you, Andi. :) Nothing to apologize for.
Chief

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 am

Those are great points chief and I think they'll make it a bit easier on everyone. Regardless, I think it went swimmingly with only a few minor hiccups.
I'm not sure it's fair to pin out the possible proxy drafters without more consideration. What if a third party stepped in to pick on thier behalf? Either a FBTB staffer (other than the hands on drafter) or a volunteer who's not actually in the draft could go through the list for them. Chances are I won't be in the next draft either due to bringing in all new blood or just crapping out in the luck department, but if I was available I wouldn't mind covering someones list if need be.
That being said, It probably wouldn't make sense to have too many proxy participant's in the same draft.
I hope to be involved again in one way or another soon!
buriedbybricks

Postby Chief » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:09 am

More suggestions: ship sooner.
All 6 of the domestic US packages will finally be going out tomorrow. The 4 international packages will be going out Monday. I can't put all the blame on the baby with pnemonia. Sorry guys. Life just gets busy sometimes.

Other things we will be doing differently next time:
-presorting the draft before the draft is open to participants. When we make the announcement for the next draft, it will be full steam ahead. We want to make as quick a turnaround as possible on this thing so we can move on to the next big thing occupying staff attention.

-buy all shipping materials ahead of time. I didn't have the right size boxes for 10 different orders, and when I did finally get boxes and started packaging them up, I quickly ran out of tape.

-speaking of materials, future drafts will have a flat-rate shipping and handling fee that includes the cost of materials like boxes, tape, and ziplocks. The first round kids got lucky: i had/have a couple hundred ziplocks on hand from several years of heavy bricklink ordering, but this first draft completely wiped me out of the smallest baggies.

More teasing: the next two draft sets are lined up. One will be North American, the other Europe. Both will be sets bought on clearance. Both are not necessarily licensed themes. When will the next one take place? Before Toy Fair.
Chief

Postby doodguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:06 am

Chief wrote:future drafts will have a flat-rate shipping and handling fee that includes the cost of materials like boxes, tape, and ziplocks. The first round kids got lucky

Yep, I think that is a decent idea. I can see that packing, driving to post office, and shipping 10 boxes is not only time consuming, but expensive. Since it sounds like FBTB is planning to use discounted sets for future drafts I think participants would be more than willing to pay a nominal extra S&H fee.
doodguy

Postby J30spiff » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:01 am

There are a lot of logistics involved and I agree, the extra fee for shipping and handling is necessary.
J30spiff

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:35 am

Chief wrote:-speaking of materials, future drafts will have a flat-rate shipping and handling fee that includes the cost of materials like boxes, tape, and ziplocks.

This is totally reasonable. Just a necessary evil of doing a remote parts draft, but it seems that the FBTB community is greatly interested in doing this, so a $5-$10 shipping fee is a no-brainer, IMO.

Chief wrote:More teasing: the next two draft sets are lined up. One will be North American, the other Europe. Both will be sets bought on clearance. Both are not necessarily licensed themes. When will the next one take place? Before Toy Fair.

YAY!!!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby JamesBenjamin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 pm

On shipping, etc: through paypal you can pre-pay shipping for anything domestic, and pre-print a label. I'm sure anyone with a bricklink/ebay selling account knows this, but it will greatly cut down on drive time (as you can hand to your mailman) and you also save about 10% on postage.

I was following this thing and it looks pretty neat. The only reason I didn't jump in was because I already have at least 2-3 of each PoP set already (from clearances, lol).

Good work guys
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby Chief » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:37 am

I printed all the postage online, so dropping off the packages at the post office wasn't a big hassle; it's on my way home from work so that was good.

All the participants in the US who I shipped to last Friday should have gotten an email with a delivery notification number. Checking all the numbers it looks like pretty much everyone should be getting their packages today :)
Chief

Postby Jargon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:19 pm

Just checking in to say that I just received my package and everything looks great! :D
Jargon

Postby J30spiff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Received my package today as well. Everything was packed nice and snug.
J30spiff

Postby mr_joshua » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Got mine today as well. Thanks again Ryan.
mr_joshua

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 am

Another suggestion based on today's missing-lot problem:
-have at least two people recording who picked which lot on the spreadsheet. We thought we had an FBTB copy, but that appears not to be the case. Also, the chat transcript I have cut off after a certain point, though it verifies at least one issue with this draft. Not a perfect alternative to a diligently-recorded spreadsheet. I was too busy on the physical end to note every person's choice. Next time we have at least two people dedicated to the job, preferably impartial non-participants.
Chief

Previous

Return to Community Features