Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 8092 Luke's Landspeeder

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 8092 Luke's Landspeeder

Postby Staff » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 pm

ls02
Ah, the iconic vehicles of Star Wars... Will you ever stop being redesigned?

Ha! Don't count on it. So far we've seen four versions of Luke's Landspeeder, although maybe my inclusion of the 2008 Key Chain/Bag Charm is a bit too generous. I know it's hard to come up with new set ideas for Star Wars since all the well known ships have been done (repeatedly) but I'd love to see some more Expanded Universe ships that aren't from the pre-ANH era. Even so, I don't mind this redesign too much. It's a decent mix of the better aspects of the two previous sets and it has plenty of appropriate characters included to make it almost feel like a playset instead of just a vehicle.
ls03
This one retails for $24.99 and comes with 163 pieces, and for that you get the Landspeeder itself and 6* minifigs (*if you consider the brick built Sentry Droid a minifig at least, to me that doesn't count but I think I'm in the minority with that opinion). The ratio clocks in at 15.3 cents per part, but the figs really skew that so it's more reasonable than it appears. Considering minifigs cost at minimum around $2.50 each on their own, that's more than half the set price in figs, leaving you with the speeder itself and a close to 1:1 ratio. I'd say it's a good deal.
ls10
The build is nothing special, but come on. It's a Landspeeder. What do you expect. No need to reinvent the wheel wait there are no wheels on it now are there...
ls08
Good ol' boat tiles. Structural support and smooth sliding goodness. Swooshing doesn't seem very fitting for a Landspeeder, but I have to say that underside array makes this quite scootable.
ls05
By the way, I'm about 95% certain that the only reason this set was created was to incorporate the curved Speed Racer windscreen. Seriously. Back when those sets started showing up the first thing I thought was "Man, that would look great on a Landspeeder". And it does!
ls06
This set also mixes the color scheme from the '99 first edition (tan is technically less accurate than sand red if you've seen the actual prop Landspeeder, but it just feels more right, right?) with the size of the '03 revision, with a few more improvements. The top/center engine nacelle is incorporated better in this build than the other two, but sadly the rear of it and the side nacelle transitions aren't quite as good as they could be. Guess they had to save something to change in the next version. The rear vents are a  nice touch though.
ls11
You can really see what I mean about it being a mix between the two previous styles, right? I'd like to say I appreciate the idea of the stripped down left nacelle, but to be honest this seems like overkill. I hate to say it, but a sticker to simulate the missing panel might be better (maybe not better... but more accurate at least).
ls09Also, just like before, the rear pops off to handily store contraband.

So, what more is there to say? It's a nice sized set and the price feels reasonable considering the lineup of minifigures though they missed an opportunity to toss in the Dewback again (you can never have too many Dewbacks), and it's the top of the line for official Landspeeder designs. I'd say if you had to buy one Landspeeder set, this is the one to get. Too bad I didn't know that when the others came out.

Price/Parts ratio: 9/10
Parts Selection: 8/10
Minifigs: 10/10
Construction: 7/10
Design: 8/10
Scoot Factor: 10/10
Reviewer's Tilt: 8/10
Final Score: 8.6

Full gallery on flickr:

8092 Luke's Landspeeder 8092 Luke's Landspeeder 8092 Luke's Landspeeder 8092 Luke's Landspeeder 8092 Luke's Landspeeder
8092 Luke's Landspeeder 8092 Luke's Landspeeder 8092 Luke's Landspeeder 8092 Luke's Landspeeder 8092 Luke's Landspeeder

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/12/31/review-8092-luke%e2%80%99s-landspeeder/
Staff

Re: Review: 8092 Luke's Landspeeder

Postby kojote » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:13 am

I love the new set, didn't knew that there where two sets before but the new one looks great
kojote

Postby Lich_Barrister » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:17 am

Recall, though, just how affordable the first Sandspeeder was... if you were the least bit interested in LEGO or getting gifts of it then, you'd have gotten it. What was it, $10, $12 CDN for two minifigs and a solid vehicle (when compared to sets of its day).

But I should probably get this one before it's gone...
Lich_Barrister

Postby Solo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:46 pm

That's true, the original was cheaper, but as you can see it was pretty small and left a lot to be desired accuracy wise. For a first wave set from a decade ago it was alright, but something like that today would be very impressive.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:47 pm

I just picked this set up myself with some Christmas money and gotta say, I generally agree with this review. This was my first Landspeeder, though, and filled a badly gaping hole in my collection (although there are a few more holes I still need to fill).

I agree that the color scheme feels right, and I saw the real prop version at the Science Museum when they had the Star Wars collection on display. I don't know, perhaps it was covered in sand/dust during filming, but it feels much more movie-accurate, which to me is much more important than "real-life"-accurate. (This is the same reason I agree that Star Destroyers should be grey, despite being white in real life, as well as the striping being gray on the various TIEs, despite being more bluish in real life.)

This figs are pretty great as well. This is my first time getting the new R2-D2, although I think I liked the older "white-head" version better. This was also my first "old Ben" Kenobi, which filled another gaping hole in my minifig collection. I also liked the long-haired Luke as well. The Stormtrooper and C-3PO were old news but welcome additions to round out the set. The little droid was OK and helped spruce up the set as well.

I do agree that the $24.99 price point was "fair", but still think this set would have been better priced at $19.99. It's not even about price/part ratio either. I just think the $20 mark is a much better price than $25 because it makes people wonder what that extra $5 is getting them (even if it is getting them an extra minifig or two) and thus makes them question whether or not to buy the set. This could lead to reduced sales, which LEGO will then construe (falsely, of course) as people not wanting to buy classic sets, and that'll lead to fewer classic sets (see: the first half of 2011). There's power in evenly priced sets, and LEGO should know that.

Anyways, I give the set an overall 9/10. Had this set been $19.99, that would have been a 10/10, but the price point leaves room for improvement. Everything else was perfect, except for that.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby GrayMattR » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Great review. The '99 version of the Landspeeder and the Speeder Bikes set were the first LEGO sets I bought since around 1982. Although I really liked the sizing and model of the '03 version, I didn't like the color as well. This new set is definitely the best. The color is back to the way it should be and the curved windshield completes the realism.
GrayMattR

Postby Puddleglum » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:22 am

GrayMattR wrote:Great review. The '99 version of the Landspeeder and the Speeder Bikes set were the first LEGO sets I bought since around 1982.

Same for me, the '99 Landspeeder is what got me back into LEGO in college, bought it on a whim wandering through Wal-Mart one evening.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:19 am

Personally, I still think the '99 version is the best simply because of it's size that looks more accurate.

But, than again, I too got back into LEGO when my wife bought me that '99 version, so it does hold a special place in my heart, hence why I might not be totally objective on the subject.

I've recently acquired the 8092, but did have the chance to build it yet. This review did spark my interest, so I might give it a go this weekend.
Daz Hoo

Postby combattank » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 am

Does anyone know why the left nacelle on the landspeeder is damaged or different from the right nacelle? Does it get damaged during Episode IV (tusken raiders?) or is there another back story behind it?
combattank

Postby onions » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:42 pm

i think it was damaged from the beginning with no story behind it. but i'm not a EU fan so i'm sure there is some obscure reference about it.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby HoboBob1138 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm

I think its because Luke was always tinkering with it and never covered it back up. There was something about it in the Essential Guide To Vehicles.
No matter the distance, no matter how far
HoboBob1138

Postby ted @ndes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:59 pm

I came back to read this review again (BTW - I really appreciate seeing the multiple views). As I'm still building my part collection coming out of my "dark age", this set has really good part variety IMO; grilled cheese, dark red tiles/slopes/cheese, tubes, dishes, saber handles, curved windscreen, wall tiles, boat tiles, engines, etc. Those parts, in those colors, will fill a lot of gaps for me... not to mention it would be my first Star Wars LEGO set :O , so I wouldn't mind paying the "premium" to get the figs too.

I've been looking through the Pharaoh’s Quest sets for dark red and tan parts too. Despite the potential for more "value" in an unlicensed set, the variety in the 8092 landspeeder set is what can scratch my immediate parts itch. Just wanted to add that point of view (since the main focus of the review was on accuracy, build, and playability).
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Return to Reviews