Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

First SW Miniland Models Arrive at LLCA!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

First SW Miniland Models Arrive at LLCA!

Postby Staff » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:31 pm

The first Star Wars models have begun to arrive for installation at Legoland California!

Love the shot of the Falcon flying over Washington DC :)
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/01/19/first-sw-miniland-models-arrive-at-llca/
Staff

Re: First SW Miniland Models Arrive at LLCA!

Postby brandobond » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Ultimate ultimate collector's edition!
Want.
brandobond

Postby onions » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:48 pm

that snowspeeder..... yeah...... :|
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby rocao » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:16 am

onions wrote:that snowspeeder..... yeah...... :|

I thought the same thing. The scale doesn't even look that much different than the UCS Snowspeeder which already looks much better. My only guess is maybe they wanted to use more elementary bricks than 10129, but 10129 really doesn't use that many specialized bricks, either.
rocao

Postby mr_joshua » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:05 pm

I thought the same about the Landspeeder....lamespeeder. I guess they have to stay within the constraints of the typical miniland building options/scale/look. It will still be fun to see in person...SW days here I come.
mr_joshua

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 pm

I don't want to say too much, but I'm not impressed, either.
Chief

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:17 pm

Even the Falcon seemed like it could have looked better, but they intentionally chose to forgo using pieces that better fit the shape. Along the edges of the mandibles, it SEEMS they could have gotten a better look using angled plates. The Falcon model is huge enough that such decisions don't seriously compromise the overall look, but for a smaller model limiting the types of parts one uses really results in an inferior looking model...
Mister Ed

Postby Brickplumber » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Chief wrote:I don't want to say too much, but I'm not impressed, either.

Oh, come on Ryan, you know you are over there on your break everyday checking it out or maybe even giving Gary a hand. You are probably the one filming it, just kidding.
Brickplumber

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Since I don't work there, I'm not really one to say for sure but it seems in Miniland they mainly use bricks and plates and very few special pieces. I think the Falcon is cool.

Does Gary get extra pay to drive the forklift?
GrayMattR

Postby ka.lego » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:01 pm

For some reason, LegoLand never seemed appealing enough for me to make the trip. However, this does definitely pique my interest. I agree with some of the sentiment above that the models at the park's scale, with their apparent preference for bricks rather than plates, etc., aren't my favorite, but a whole SW section? It's sorta like when the prequels came out...or better yet...when Episode III was released and, despite being lukewarm about the first two, I still had to go to the Thursday midnight showing. Will I ever learn my lesson? Ha. I guess I did, and that's just to enjoy it for what it is. So yeah, if I'm in socal, I may just make the trip.
ka.lego

Postby UOldPirate » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:02 am

Besides the obvious fact they are built from Lego bricks, aren't weather and durability a factor in the blocky nature of the models? I would think their uber-UCS Falcon or Snow Speeder take a lot more abuse than ours. Therefore you would need more bricks and plates to make a more rigid model as opposed to curved pieces which would offer less area to lock together. Maybe?

Regardless, any Lego model that requires a forklift to move is still impressive in my book.
UOldPirate

Postby bobalego » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:41 am

Cool to see not one, but two of the 2006 LEGOland master builder search contestants working there now, and working on StarWars models. I knew Gary scored a job a while back but congrats out to Ryan Z, for making the cut recently. I wonder if the original winner that year still works there...
bobalego

Postby Flynn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:26 pm

I honestly don't think the Falcon is that bad (Although it's lacking of a lot of details on the main hull that will hopefully be added before the miniland premiers), but the Snowspeeder and X-Wing...yeah, not so hot on those. I suppose I understand the need and/or desire for standard bricks and plates, but I still think they could've done better with those.

On the other hand, the walkers are looking pretty dang nice, so hopefully the others are the exceptions to the rule and not the trendsetters.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Return to Star Wars