Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

So, you wanna to build a podracer? [Building Tips Thread]

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

So, you wanna to build a podracer? [Building Tips Thread]

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:31 am

Building Tips Thread

What is a legal entry for the contest?
Stick to the standard 2 pod design with a single energy binder. You saw what happened to Ben Quadinaros at the Boonta Eve Classic. They're not banned from the competition, but they will be judged very harshly and unless you pour your soul into it you probably will crash and burn. Also, no "concept" pods where the parts are physically connected, or there is no cockpit, or it only has one engine... those styles are banned because they aren't true pods.

Power couplings/energy binders requirement:
That's right, these are REQUIRED and should be the only thing connecting your two engine pods together. How they look is up to you, but try and stick to these suggestions:
- the "beam" itself should be the only thing connecting both engines
- it should be made from transparent elements to properly simulate the look
There are many ways to accomplish this and you still have room to play, so try out everything you can think of. We wouldn't be surprised to see a "How to build energy binders" thread pop up, and we encourage that. Or you can post ideas here.

Clarification: your entry must be built with an actual energy binder of some sort, but you can replace it with a glowing beam effect with a photo editor in some of your pictures.

Now since this is a model, you're welcome to add a base to support them just like the official pod race sets, but make sure it's clearly a base and not part of the MOC. The less obvious the better, and if possible it should be photoshopped out of the entry picture.

Weapons note:
Now, just like the real podraces - weapons are not technically "allowed" but so long as they are concealable they can be on your model. Think of the pop out buzz saws and hidden flame throwers like Sabulba had. This is a nice bit of playability you can add that can really give your pod some character, especially if you work it into a great theme.

The purpose of this thread is to a) give the rule clarifications & answer your questions, and b) brainstorm/share tips for alternate ideas on power couplinks (energy binders) and the long connecting cables that probably not everyone has...

Further clarification: You are only allowed to enter one racer in the competition, but you can build as many as you want. Only submit the one you want people to vote for in the other thread... if you submit multiples they will be disqualified.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: So, you wanna to build a podracer? [Building Tips Thread]

Postby GIR3691 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 am

So, are we required to build physical energy beams, or can they be 'shopped in, like in the contest image?

EDIT: Nevermind.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Classicsmiley » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:21 am

I'm assuming that LifeLites products (www.lifelites.com) are not allowed, due to the fact that the wires, LEDs, and circuit boards aren't official, even though they use official parts like half-pins and plates. Am I correct?
Classicsmiley

Postby strider406 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:26 am

When you say brick-built or minifig pilot does that mean I can't use a troll.
strider406

Postby Chuck » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:35 am

Are we to assume something like this is not fair game?

-Chuck
Chuck

Postby Big C » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:56 am

Classicsmiley wrote:I'm assuming that LifeLites products (http://www.lifelites.com) are not allowed, due to the fact that the wires, LEDs, and circuit boards aren't official, even though they use official parts like half-pins and plates. Am I correct?

You are correct, but if you want to make a "legal" entry, then mod it after the contest, I would love to see what you do. :)

Chuck wrote:Are we to assume something like this is not fair game?

Don made it clear in the rules what a legal entry is, Chuck. :)

strider406 wrote:When you say brick-built or minifig pilot does that mean I can't use a troll.

Trolls are constructed of LEGO parts, so I say they're fair game... :)
Big C

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 am

AlternativeRadio wrote:Wow! This looks really great! Can't wait to start building this thing. One question, can we use GIMP or some other tool to create the lightning effect between the engines, such as the ones in the poster?

Emperor wrote:Question, can we photoshop in the sustaining field between the pods for our entry picture?

Absolutely.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Chief » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: binders: i used 1x1 round bricks on technic tubing for mine, the real fun part is shopping some cool binders in a photo. That's going to be the fun part when this is all over: putting the entries together for a family photo with the binders all aglow and engines rumbling.
Chief

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Talon Karrde wrote:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Podracer - I had a look at the 'notable models' which provides quite a lot of inspiration. ;)

Good source for inspiration there, but remember: don't just go copying one, make you're own! ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Chief » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, why couldn't they copy one? Why not remake one of those? There's tons of good stuff there. We never actually talked about this, now that I think about it.
Chief

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:36 pm

The whole idea here was to make new pods... you can make a similar design and all, just don't make one for a known character. I'd like to think our members have a bit more imagination than to need to just reproduce a design.

On the flip side, I don't know many by memory, so someone could have easily copied one and not pointed it out and it would have easily made it through.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Chuck » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Big C wrote:
Chuck wrote:Are we to assume something like this is not fair game?

Don made it clear in the rules what a legal entry is, Chuck. :)

I just like to be difficult ;)

-Chuck
Chuck

Postby donneyboy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Is there a size limit on the pods? also since we are allowed weapons, is there a number? this seams like a fun contest!
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:30 pm

No size limit or limit on number of weapons. But keep it reasonably sized for a minifig scale racer, and make sure the weapons are not obvious or it'll be disqualified.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:50 pm

don i think you need to clarify the energy bindings. the rules state that they must be brickbuilt, but in one of your responses above you say it's okay if an entry has photoshopped bindings.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:52 pm

I re-read the rules a couple times and don't think this was mentioned, but I blame snow-on-the-brain if it was... Are you limiting it to one entry per person, or are multiples kosher?

don i think you need to clarify the energy bindings. the rules state that they must be brickbuilt, but in one of your responses above you say it's okay if an entry has photoshopped bindings.

I was wondering the same thing.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:57 pm

The model must have brick built energy binder between the two pods, but you are welcome to use special effects to dress up the pictures. I'll edit that in there for clarification.

And I forgot to put it in there, but it's one entry per person.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Chief » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Solo wrote:And I forgot to put it in there, but it's one entry per person.

One *submitted* model per person. Don't let this rule stop you from building as many as you like, and submitting your best to the contest. Mine doesn't even count, and I'm still planning to build another :D
Chief

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Yes, exactly... you're welcome to build as many as you want, but you can only enter one in the race.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Veers » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Would frogscale be acceptable?
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds