Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 4736 Freeing Dobby

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 4736 Freeing Dobby

Postby Krataka » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Remember those good times when every set, licensed or not, had yellow skin? Remember a time when a certain theme had lots of rare stuff you just had to get your grubby little hands on? Remember when you could get more pieces in a set for less cash? Well, I'm sorry to say that those days are over, but this set might just bring you back to those good times. Here is Freeing Dobby.

Contents:
We start off with a few small bags that contain the parts you need to make your set. Altogether, its 73 pieces, although mine came with an extra flame piece and a gold stud (I use that as Harry's Snitch he gets in Deathly Hallows: you need to read the book to understand). The instruction booklet is not very special except that it helps you build the tiny little set and that it advertizes the new Harry Potter game.

Build:
I don't actually have much to say about the build, although that it is pretty straight-forward, and that it is actually a little fun.

Minifigures/Pieces:
I understand that this set was released back in 2002 for the Chamber of Secrets movie that was out. I had that set as well, but now the only remains of it is Dobby's sad little non-painted head. Oh, how I was such a stupid child back then.
When it comes to minifigures and minifigure adaptation, this set beats the old one by so much. Lucius Malfoy is probably my favorite minifigure in this set, and at the moment is an exclusive to this (Until 2011 when Diagon Alley comes along...). Lucius can turn his head around to show his Death Eater Mask and boy, do I love it. and his normal face I think was inspired by old Draco Malfoy's face. No wonder they are father and son. Harry and Dobby are also improvements: Both have double-printed torsos, Harry has a double printed head, and Dobby's head is...well, just depressing, but thats actually a compliment. Now onto pieces: The only thing I wished they could've kept was Tom Riddle's Diary's design from back in '02. The new one is just pitch black and bland and all it does is hold Harry's dirty grey sock, while the '02 version can hold Harry's dirty grey sock while looking fashionably dashing. This new set also comes with a broom and a black spider. Although I don't know why the broom is needed, and although the spider actually might have some sense in the story (Read the book or watch the movie), They actually give off a nice touch. Now I can have Harry and Lucius or maybe even Dobby zip past everything in my lovely room while being a bit too small to not knock over anything. It comes with two (or three) flame pieces, and bricks in a variety of colors, varrying from teal to grey to tan to light grey to a touch of brown and red.

Gimmick(s)/Play Experience:
Basicly, here's what you do: You put Lucius on that brown tile with just that one stud (It's first introduced in a Prince of Persia set called the "Sands of Time", I think). For fun, I like to put Dobby there right on top of that axle rod so he can be ready to do his little burst of whimsicle magic. You grab hold of the axle with that red piece and you push it as hard as you can, and watch as Lucius flies like a water bottle at a Justin Bieber concert.

Results:
Pieces: 9.5/10
Minifigures: 10/10
Build: 6.5/10
Gimmick(s)/Play Experience: 8.5/10
Overall: 9/10

The Verdict:
If you're looking for a completely exhausting but challenging build, you might want to get something else. But if you're looking for a relatively fun little set with a good gimmick and absolutely great characters and a good source of laundry, books, and parts, you should get this set. Honestly, just get it for Harry and Lucius, if you want. Dobby is just there so he could go all magical on Lucius's pureblood behind. I hope you will enjoy this set as much as I did.
- Sincerely,
Krataka
Last edited by Krataka on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krataka

Re: Review: 4736 Freeing Dobby

Postby The Brain » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Krataka wrote:fly like a water bottle at a Justin Bieber concert.

Best part of the review. Period.

That said, very detailed review for such a small set! I'm not such a fan of Harry Potter anymore, but I will enjoy the movie when it comes out. I can remember getting this little set back in '02 as a party favor from a birthday party, and boy was I excited (mostly because LEGO gifts at parties are just awesome).

Good first review!
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby GrayMattR » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:35 pm

Awesome review for such a tiny set. I've got the original but this is great on it's own merit. I agree that Riddle's diary with the printed blood on the '02 set is better but everything else here is cool.
GrayMattR

Postby Logo08 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Nicely done!
If I have the spare cash, I might get it.

I think (and kinda hope) the afore-mentioned water bottle was aimed at Bieber himself. Doubtful.
Logo08

Postby Chief » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 am

4736 Freeing Dobby: Overall (1)

Join me as I contemplate whether Dobby should ever be free.

4736 Freeing Dobby: Minifigs

When I first bought this set, I felt like it was a little overpriced. But you know what? The Collectible Minifigs (and the minifig magnet packs) have put things into perspective for me. If I'm willing to put down $15 for 3 minifigs and their accompanying magnets, or umpteen collectible figs for $2 or $3 a pop, $10.99 for 3 fantastic minifigures and the best play feature ever is a STEAL.

I dare you to come up with a matchup that isn't hilarious. The "Dobby magically launches Lucius" function is one of the most compact, enjoyable action functions I've seen in a set.

Dobby is one of my favorite licensed minifigs to come along in quite a while. Simply by adding paint to what I believe is the original head mold, they've made a Dobby that absolutely teems with life. Lucius is the best version yet, and Harry, well, is Harry. He feels like mostly a retread (BEGONE, you awful hairpiece!)

All said, this set with its 3 solid minifigs and way-too-fun play feature is a worthy addition to the Lego Harry Potter lineup.

See the full set of photos here on Flickr!

Value: 10/10
Yep!
Build Quality: 10/10
The model doesn't break when I launch figures!
Accuracy: 6/10
This ain't no hallway, and what's with the broom?
Swoosh Factor: 9/10
Watch the figs fly!
Play Features: 10/10
Yes!
Minifigs: 8/10
Strong!
Reviewer's Tilt: 9/10
Way better than I thought it would be!
Final Score (Average): 8.9

Chief

Postby GrayMattR » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Chief wrote:I dare you to come up with a matchup that isn't hilarious. The "Dobby magically launches Lucius" function is one of the most compact, enjoyable action functions I've seen in a set.

Sawfish vs crocodile FTW!
GrayMattR

Return to Reviews