Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO lifts off with NASA

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Re: LEGO lifts off with NASA

Postby Aharown » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:21 pm

I wonder if that nifty set in the header will be one of the four? It certainly looks detailed enough.

(Russian space station that NASA sent astronauts to, isn't it?)
<><
Aharown

Postby Draykov » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:01 pm

MrCRskater wrote:I had immediately assumed that that was what you were referencing in the first place. Was it not?

Actually, the thread came before the news post and the title for the latter was Ace's handywork...but yeah, I assumed the same thing.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Draykov » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Robert Pearlman, editor of collectSPACE was dropping science about the new NASA/LEGO partnership over in the Eurobricks forums.

Robert Pearlman wrote:Hi, I'm the editor of collectSPACE and author of the recent article about the LEGO and NASA partnership. I'm glad to see our photos have been of interest.

With regards to the "another two images," those were from earlier LEGO stories we posted and are unrelated to this new NASA partnership.

The space shuttle flying on STS-133, space shuttle Discovery's final flight, has been correctly pointed out as the shuttle depicted at the top of our article: LEGO space shuttle launching on NASA's 'flying brick' Discovery.

The larger space shuttle, which will be built aboard the International Space Station after being delivered there by STS-134, space shuttle Endeavour's final mission, can be seen here: NASA and LEGO partnership: Bricks in space (scroll down and click on the image to enlarge).

Also at that page is a larger image of the new International Space Station set, which will also launch with Endeavour next year.

According to LEGO and NASA, the space shuttle and space station flying on STS-134 will become part of the LEGO City line.

There are other new sets planned, including a "Satellites" set and exclusive to NASA sets -- not to be sold to the public -- that create interior scenes to the International Space Station.

Unlike the 2003 Discovery series of NASA-theme sets, these new NASA partnership LEGO sets will not include minifigures with the NASA logo, but NASA-provided educational information will be included with each set sold to the public.

I hope that helps clarify what is flying. We have a few more articles/features planned about the LEGO and NASA partnership, which we'll be publishing over the next few weeks and months.

--
Robert Pearlman, Editor
collectSPACE - The Source for Space History & Artifacts
http://www.collectspace.com/

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Not as exciting as I'd thought with the initial announcement. That shuttle is a nifty little set, I guess, but doesn't really try too hard to approach accuracy, even aside from the lack of official logos, and yet doesn't have the "fun factor" of a lot of LEGO's usual space themed sets. And given the lack of any official NASA tie for the sets, I expect any others to be more of the same...
Mister Ed

Postby meeotch » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:29 pm

It seems like a bit of a missed opportunity for NASA to be branded with a wildly popular toy. Let's be honest, NASA's not doing so hot right now as far as public perception goes (whether warranted or not), and it wouldn't hurt for them to try to capture the hearts of tomorrows future engineers a little bit more.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby vynsane » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:03 am

meeotch wrote:It seems like a bit of a missed opportunity for NASA to be branded with a wildly popular toy.

QFT. I wonder who made the decision not to cross-brand?
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Previous

Return to General LEGO Discussions