Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO lifts off with NASA

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

LEGO lifts off with NASA

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:14 am

Spotted this over at Brothers-Brick:

Josh wrote:NASA issued a press release today stating that they have signed a Space Act agreement with LEGO. The partnership will focus on promoting interest in science, technology, engineering and math. At the launch event, NASA will actually be launching a shuttle built from LEGO bricks. It will be aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery, on what is Discovery’s last scheduled mission.

“Partnering with The LEGO Group is a perfect fit. We have taken the excitement of NASA’s missions and coupled that with kids’ love of creating things with the iconic LEGO bricks,” said Leland Melvin, NASA’s associate administrator for Education. “These projects not only foster creativity but also instill in the young builders a real sense of the engineering and design principles that NASA uses every day. Fun learning activities like these can help inspire kids to become the next generation of explorers.”

Also our readers may be excited to hear that 4 NASA sets will be included in LEGO’s City line as a part of this partnership.

See the entire NASA press release here.

Many thanks to Vinny for the heads up!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: LEGO lifts off with NASA

Postby Joedward » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Awesome
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby that guy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm curious what will become of the current shuttle set (if anything)??? Will it possibly get re-branded or eliminated in lieu of a replacement?
that guy

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:07 pm

10213? I don't think there's any reason to expect it to do anything other than run it's production/consumer availability course and then retire. The set was most likely designed well before this arrangement with NASA was anywhere near complete.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby that guy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Yeah that's why I was curious. It seems that set would put them in an awkward position by having a non-NASA shuttle and then all these cool NASA sets next to it. Maybe it's just me?? Then again, by the time the NASA sets roll out it could be a while so that shuttle set may be ended by then.
that guy

Postby Alm » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Hasn't Lego had such partnerships with NASA before? I seem to recall the whole release of the Saturn V, lunar module, and Spirit/Opportunity rover sets way back in 2003. There was also that program in which two Lego astronaut minifigures (Biff and Sandy?) were sent along with a rover or probe and Lego released little mini-diaries of their adventures.
I think TRON-based Lego sets would be awesome!
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
Alm

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Not sure what the details were on the Discovery theme in that regard, but the official NASA logo was used in the stickers, so it seems legal departments were involved. I don't remember seeing any press-releases back then though, so this one seems to have a bit more gravity (pun totally intended). Regardless of the IP mumbo-jumbo, I get a distinct feeling though that there's always been a mutual sense of respect and affection between the two parties.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:41 pm

that guy wrote:I'm curious what will become of the current shuttle set (if anything)??? Will it possibly get re-branded or eliminated in lieu of a replacement?

My guess is "no." If not for reasons Draykov stated, then for the fact that the NASA Space Shuttle program will be terminated early in 2011 and it's unlikely that any NASA-themed sets will be released until Summer 2011 (if not until 2012). Of course, 10213 was offered to commemorate the final year of the NASA Space Shuttle program, and likely will be gone by the end of 2011, at which point it probably wouldn't make any business sense to either offer a NASA version of 10213 or a redesign.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:20 am

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby vynsane » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Do the new sets have NASA branding on them? All pre-pro shots I've seen thus far actually have the same neo-classic space style logo that 10213 sports.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby Draykov » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:29 am

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:08 am

Well that article makes it clear that the first NASA sets in the City line will be released in 2011, and WILL include a shuttle, so there may very well be a period where NASA and non-NASA branded shuttle sets are available at the same time...
Mister Ed

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Well that article makes it clear that the first NASA sets in the City line will be released in 2011, and WILL include a shuttle, so there may very well be a period where NASA and non-NASA branded shuttle sets are available at the same time...

Well, not quite. While it does say that the shuttle and ISS models going on flight STS-134 in Feb. 2011 will be released for public consumption in 2011, it does not specify whether or not those sets will be branded (i.e. featuring the NASA logo). Further, it merely states that the shuttle model going on STS-134 is larger than the one going on STS-133 (my guess is the one in Leland Melvin's hand in the bottom picture is the one that will be released in the City line next year), but it's doubtful that this shuttle model will be as impressive as the 10213 Shuttle Adventure. By the looks of that photo, it'll probably carry the updated classic space logo. So yes, there will probably be two shuttles on the shelf at once. But I doubt that one will be an official NASA model.

The ISS could have potential, but we'll have to see how that turns out. That model is also unlikely to have any NASA branding as its construction hasn't really been a NASA project. Yes, NASA has been almost exclusively responsible for putting it in orbit and putting it together, but most of the modules, solar arrays, etc., have been built by other parties.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Firespray » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:32 am

Bonus points for the "IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!" on the front page link :lol:
Firespray

Postby Isaac5 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:23 pm

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!

THEY STOLE THAT TITLE FROM ME!!!

http://www.brickcomicnetwork.com/forum/ ... f=14&t=630
Isaac5

Postby onions » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:03 pm

no, i'm pretty sure i stole that from firespray.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Firespray » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Firespray

Postby Isaac5 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:55 pm

when did he make that joke?
Isaac5

Postby Draykov » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:49 am

Isaac5 wrote:OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!

THEY STOLE THAT TITLE FROM ME!!!

http://www.brickcomicnetwork.com/forum/ ... f=14&t=630

Untwist your underpants, sir. That is an old bit that's been around at least as long as the Muppet Show...
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby MrCRskater » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 am

Draykov wrote:That is an old bit that's been around at least as long as the Muppet Show...

I had immediately assumed that that was what you were referencing in the first place. Was it not?
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Next

Return to General LEGO Discussions