Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Comic Con Recap

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Comic Con Recap

Postby Staff » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 pm

The San Diego Comic Con came and went and I had a blast this year, more so than any other time I've gone. This year, 2010, marks the fourth year that LEGO has had a presence at the Con and it just keeps getting better and better.

I got to meet the father of the Cube Dude movement, Angus MacLane, and got him to sign an exclusive with a special message:

Angus Professing His Love For FBTB

Greg Hyland was also there doing sketches and signing autographs. He was there for three days staying past his allotted time slot making sure each everyone who was in line got a sketch and an autographed print:

Greg Hyland Signing/Sketching

In addition to the exclusive, LEGO was selling Star Wars and Toy Story sets except for the summer wave, so if you needed a fix for some brick you needn't travel far. It was surprising to see they had stacks of the LEGO Harry Potter game available:

Harry Potter Game

Finally, LEGO was giving away one of these bad boys:

Boba Fett Prize Boba Fett Prize Closeup

A nicely framed trio of the original Boba Fett figure: a white one, a 14 karat gold one, and a solid sterling silver one. The gold and silver ones are limited 1 of 2, the other of which will be given away at Star Wars Celebration. Sadly, I don't think I won.

I met a lot of cool people who were fans of the site; even ran into Mos_Eisley from our forums doing his duty of helping out fellow members by not only picking up the exclusive set, but also getting them signed by Angus. All that being said, the greatest con moment was arranging a meeting between our very own Chief and the inspiration behind his 'net persona: Aaron Douglas a.k.a. Chief Tyrol from Battlestar Galactica:

This Magic Moment

Just Epic.

If you're interested in some of the other sights of the con, take a look at my flickr set.

Another year, another con in the books. Can't wait for next year.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/07/28/comic-con-recap/
Staff

Re: Comic Con Recap

Postby drdavewatford » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 am

Looks fantastic...... My only prior 'experience' of Comic Con was the notorious Entourage episode, so nice to see what it's really like....

LEGO does like it's special editions - Cube Dudes, Boba presentation set. Actually the Boba set is limited editions within a limited edition..... All carefully devised to send us completist collectors into a frenzy of desire and frustration. Still, I know I won't be able to get my hands on the 3 Bobas so I can rest easy. Maybe the white Boba is within reach, however...

Dr. D.
Love Lego ? Visit my blog at http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com
drdavewatford

Postby Andi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:38 am

Awesome Recap Ace!
Any idea when ticket selling for 2011 starts?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby theJudeAbides » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:40 am

Chief, are you sure you two weren't separated at birth? The similarities are uncanny.

Oh, and I look forward to seeing those Boba sets being auctioned off on Ebay for more than Google's net worth. :roll:

How come all these con's always take place either on the west coast or east coast, but never in the mid-west, where us normal people could actually attend them?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:51 am

Wow, you guys went to Hooters? :shock: And some of those shots from behind are very questionable :lol: .
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Return to Community Features