Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Sticker? Hardly know her...

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Re: Sticker? Hardly know her...

Postby kelano28 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:49 pm

if they stuck to printed bricks none of this would be an issue :|

i would take a printed brick over 10 more bricks and stickers any day
kelano28

Postby Solo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Tell that to the average parent wondering why their kids's Legos are getting smaller and more expensive at the same time.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby kelano28 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:29 pm

smaller and more expensive is going to happen no matter what...

might as well not sacrifice quality too
kelano28

Postby bigospedros » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:47 am

i think most of us would prefer printed bricks, but it's not gonna happen ... so, that's why I am asking all these questions to make the best of the current situation.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby natelite » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:24 pm

hmm, i think the most elegant solution so far: include 2-3 sticker sheets per each set and release older sticker sheets to the public just like the downloadable instruction booklets! XD

we can always go to kinko fedex for good quality sticker paper and get a laser printer.
natelite

Postby banthafodder » Wed May 12, 2010 2:26 pm

I've noticed that the two new limited TS3 sets (pizza truck and garbage truck) have all printed pieces with no stickers while the other TS3 sets are stickered. What gives? Are the stores that contract for the exclusive sets demanding printed pieces? It kind of throughs a big fat wrench into all of our arguments over why TLG is putting stickers in the sets in the first place. Both these sets seemed fairly popular in the forums and it seems that many of the members are willing to pay for them. Bring back printed pieces in all sets.
banthafodder

Postby MisterFubar » Wed May 12, 2010 3:57 pm

I've got some 30 year old pieces with stickers on them, so it's not like this is some new thing for Lego.

Do I like stickers? Meh, not really but I've always got the option of not using them.
MisterFubar

Postby legofett » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:57 am

The people here that are defending sticlers can lie to themselves all they want. But lets get REAL. EVERBODY HATES stickers. As for pricing its inflation on the worlds economy as a whole. Don't tell me its to expensive to print a brick. Mass producing sticker sheets should be just as high if not higher. This crap started in 2005 and what happen in the 1970's sets went away for about 1980's-2004. No excuse!
legofett

Postby meeotch » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:38 am

Those are some strong words purporting to know my own thoughts on sticker use. I'm of two minds, and it really depends on the situation. For example, I recently built the Death Star Playset, and that set is rife with stickers. I didn't put any on (as I pretty much never do now) and I kind of wish that the pieces were printed. I don't remember off-hand, and I don't feel like going downstairs to check, but I think some of the stickers may have been intended to cover multiple pieces at once, which would make having it look good be much more difficult than just the singular sticker. But for the vast majority of them, at least, I wish the pieces were printed.

On the other hand, I got Construct-a-Zurg mostly to have the purple parts. The cone for the bottom of Zurg's head is printed with his yellow frown. I've never wished that a piece was intended for sticker rather than printing so badly. I understand that applying a sticker to a curved piece may be much more difficult than a flat piece, but now I've got to do the whole Brasso process to get that goofy-looking mouth off my purple cone.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 am

legofett wrote:EVERBODY HATES stickers.
This, like all generalizations, is simply wrong.

Mass producing sticker sheets should be just as high if not higher.
You have no idea what you're talking about good sir.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm still waiting for my 1000 piece bucket of these. Image Do it LEGO! You know you want to!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby possum » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm known to have a tremor sometimes & decalling a 2x4 slope for a control panel can be troublesome. The other pieces I noticed were difficult to do correctly were the hatches on the ARC180. By the same token, some of the new tricks they build into these sets make me not care about stickers at all. The Republic Attack Shuttle comes to mind. Maybe it's because I'm new on the scene, but when I built the bomb drop/armor/wing assembly I was blown away. For me that's the stuff that really makes this a fun hobby.

My #1 beef with the stickers is that if I'm watching a game, having a beer & putting a set together I rarely look ahead to see that a sticker is going to be used. My centering skills when it comes to stickers is much nicer if the piece isn't already on the assembly.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!
possum

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:52 am

possum wrote:My #1 beef with the stickers is that if I'm watching a game, having a beer & putting a set together I rarely look ahead to see that a sticker is going to be used. My centering skills when it comes to stickers is much nicer if the piece isn't already on the assembly.

Not only that, but if you are REassembling a set that includes stickers, it would be nice to know, in the step that a piece goes on, that it has a sticker...not four pages later.
Mister Ed

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:59 am

To the note of stickered minifigs, yes, they've done that in the Ferrari sets. :facepalm:
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby legodavee123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:22 am

I like it when LEGO uses stickers for patterns that I think are stupid, because then I don't have to use them. I don't want a Spongebob-style cartoony porthole sticker on my 1x4x3 panel, thank you. If LEGO used a printed element for that instead, I'd never use it. But since they use a sticker, now I can use that part! Hooray!

However, other parts like computer terminals and racing stripes and things are pretty generic, and are handy to have-- So I'd prefer prints in those cases.

But in general, this is pretty accurate, I think-- is there anyone out there that actually would prefer to have a stickered part rather than a printed part, assuming that they actually were going to USE the sticker/print?

legofett wrote:As for pricing its inflation on the worlds economy as a whole. Don't tell me its to expensive to print a brick. Mass producing sticker sheets should be just as high if not higher. This crap started in 2005 and what happen in the 1970's sets went away for about 1980's-2004. No excuse!

That's just silly. For LEGO, printed parts cost more than stickers, and I defy you to show evidence to the contrary. And no, "they did it in 1986" is not evidence.

As for the timeframe, I don't understand what you're talking about by "2005". It sounds like you're implying that stickers didn't exist from 1980-2004, and suddenly started reappearing in 2005? But that's obviously not true. 6685 had stickers in 1982. 4030 had stickers in 1987. 8856 had stickers in 1991. The list goes on. I can't even FIND a year after 1971 during which there were no stickers.

That does potentially make for an interesting experiment, though-- what percentage of sets have had sticker sheets for each year, say from 1970-2010? If we only count sets for which there are inventories on BrickLink, it should be a manageable investigation.

I don't think there's a hard-and-fast line in the sand when stickers suddenly started becoming "too frequent". I think it's been pretty gradual. But if someone wants to go through and find out that percentage, I'll be interested to see if there's a bona fide "jump" in any given year.

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:47 am

legofett wrote:The people here that are defending sticlers can lie to themselves all they want. But lets get REAL. EVERBODY HATES stickers. As for pricing its inflation on the worlds economy as a whole. Don't tell me its to expensive to print a brick. Mass producing sticker sheets should be just as high if not higher. This crap started in 2005 and what happen in the 1970's sets went away for about 1980's-2004. No excuse!

Indeed this is a very "rant-y" POV. I really don't mind stickers that much. I mean, so it's not as convenient or high-quality, your whining isn't going to change TLC's mind. You really are starting to tick me off. So if TLC started using printings, that means that piece would only be useful for that particular set (most likely). Now TLC would have to make a whole different production line for that piece. It wastes a lot of time and money to do that. It is almost as expensive as making new molds. In your timeframe, TLC only seemed totally devout about printing for LSW. As it seems, LSW is always the last to fall to new methods (flesh-tones, white pupils). You should just be thankful that TLG often treats LSW with more care.
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Robzula » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:25 pm

legodavee123 wrote:

But in general, this is pretty accurate, I think-- is there anyone out there that actually would prefer to have a stickered part rather than a printed part, assuming that they actually were going to USE the sticker/print?

Not neccesarily, there's a huge difference between hating something and preferring a different method.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby legodavee123 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Robzula wrote:Not neccesarily, there's a huge difference between hating something and preferring a different method.

Agree-- I think it was too vicious of a rant given its assuming nature. But when I think about it, the underlying sentiment seems accurate, if overstated.

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby bigospedros » Tue May 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Having just looked at a review for one of the new Cars sets, I note that (to my great surprise) most of the parts that make the actual cars are printed, rather than relying on stickers.

I'm just wondering (nay, hoping!) if this is the start of Lego returning to printed parts for other themes in the future!?
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue May 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Another thing about stickers, it that they can bring a lot to MOCs. For example, you couldn't have bullet holes or japanese characters on a mech or ship without stickers! I mostly dislike stickers in SW. But now I've actually realized how useful they are.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

PreviousNext

Return to Ask LEGO