Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

End of an Era: Star Tours Closing July 27

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

End of an Era: Star Tours Closing July 27

Postby Staff » Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm

It's the end of an era: the Star Tours ride is going to be closing its doors for good on July 27th at Disneyland and September 8th for Disney World. I remember going on Star Tours a long time ago when I first moved here to L.A. It was AWESOME. And every time after that whenever I went to Disneyland, I made sure it was the first ride we went on. The ride is being replaced with a Podracing ride which is just not epic enough in my opinion. I'm going to try and go one last time. Too bad LEGO didn't make a Starspeeder 3000 set. Wouldn't that have been awesome?

Anyways, if you've never been on it, you can enjoy it through the magic of Youtube. There's a bunch of videos of the ride on there, one is embedded below.

Source: Gizmodo.com
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/05/20/end-of-an-era-star-tours-closing-july-27/
Staff

Re: End of an Era: Star Tours Closing July 27

Postby Andi » Thu May 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Why??
It looks awesome
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby CommanderKeller » Thu May 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Wow I am officially sad...I used to go on that ride every time I went to Disneyland. Even walking in was cool. There were all kinds of droids walking around.

How long has it been around?
A wise old man once told me, "Remember kid, there are heroes and there are legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid and you will never go wrong". Cookies for the reference.
CommanderKeller

Postby Cradok » Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 pm

21 years. I went on it the year it opened, I was only 7 and it was the best thing ever. Still really good now. It's a shame they have to get rid of it rather than use lot space to put in a second ride.
Cradok

Postby enchantedknight56 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:38 pm

I am deeply sad. This was my favorite ride at Disney Hollywood Studios in Disney World. I'm happy I'm going there in a few days. I'll get to enjoy it one last time...
enchantedknight56

Postby SIMAFOL » Thu May 20, 2010 2:07 pm

I'll be taking my 2.5 year old on it for her first and last time on Sunday for SW Weekends. If anyone else is in the FL area and attending, feel free to meet up with us. I MIGHT be wearing my LEGO Fett costume and meet ALL the Fetts to get a photo.
-S-
SIMAFOL

Postby Diaaabo » Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 pm

That was made of pure awesome. I remember when I was 8, at Disneyland Paris... along with Space Mountain, the Western and Indiana Jones roller-coasters they're my favorite park amusement :D
Diaaabo

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Thu May 20, 2010 3:27 pm

I, for one, am not sad at all. But then again, I practically live around the corner to Disneyland and have had an annual pass for like three years now, so as awesome as the current ride is, it gets boring after a while. I think it had a good run, and now it's time for something new. And how can you get more epic than podracers?! Besides, I think I read somewhere that it wont be just podracing, but a couple of scenes from the PT. I could be wrong though.
I'm not even sad that we haven't gotten a set of the starspeeder yet. Its shape is really quite unimpressive in my opinion. Not even the idea of getting a minifig of that pilot droid excites me. I hate that little droid so much because he always says it's his "first flight" and because he never manages to get me to Endor! >:( :lol:

@ CommanderKeller: I don't think they are changing the entrance area, just the ride itself. Or at least not much. We'll see.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby MouseketeerCole » Thu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm

'A podrace ride' isn't quite right! Star Tours 2 will be the first ever simulator with random event sequences in it. Rather than fly to Endor every time like at the moment, in Star Tours 2 you might fly to Tatooine on one trip and get caught up in a podrace, the next time you go on you might fly to Bespin and get chased by Boba Fett, and the next time you might fly to Hoth and run rings around AT-ATs.

Coupled with brand new 3D, don't worry about it being "just not epic enough" - it's gonna blow people away!
MouseketeerCole

Postby banthafodder » Thu May 20, 2010 4:37 pm

I, too, remember when it first opened and waiting in line for hours. It was awesome then. However I do think it is time for a change. I don't think podracing is the way to go though. Maybe battle over Corresant would be more epic. Or they could finally bring back the journey through inner space ride. I loved that one as a kid theough I was always worried that I would remain permanently shrunken. Now I wish I could permanently shrink my gut.
banthafodder

Postby twentythree » Thu May 20, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm going to ride the one at Disney World all summer (starting this Saturday) and am tempted to buy a ticket to the Star Tours night party that is happening during Celebration V this August.
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby starwarslegoguru » Thu May 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Being an offical Disneyland nerd, allow me to clarify some points. Star Tours isn't going away, it's merely getting updated. IT IS NOT GETTING REPLACED WITH A PODRACING RIDE! From what I know, It will feature many different ride sceniaros, one of them is visiting a podrace. Don't get your hopes up too soon folks, it ain't going away forever..yet ;)
starwarslegoguru

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Thu May 20, 2010 9:37 pm

@ MouseketeerCole: Yes, I think that's what I read too. I really hope that's true, because in my opinion, they should have had alternate rides from the beginning. I'm really excited for this! :D
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby CommanderKeller » Thu May 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Thank God they are keeping the entrance(fingers crossed). Epic ideas about those different themes mouseketeer. I have no problem with the change, just wish they could keep it around star tours....so many memories.
A wise old man once told me, "Remember kid, there are heroes and there are legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid and you will never go wrong". Cookies for the reference.
CommanderKeller

Postby Big C » Fri May 21, 2010 7:09 am

Any other oldbies out there remember that German kid Kris who was a member here? Think he got banned, but dude was OBSESSED with Star Tours. Like, to the point of no return. It was crazy.
Big C

Postby MisterFubar » Fri May 21, 2010 7:54 am

While it was a fun ride, I do think it's a little dated.

I remember riding it at MGM shortly after it opened and it was just about the coolest ride I'd ever been on. Each time I rode it throughout the years it became less exciting as other rides got better. The last time I rode it was about 4 years ago and I remember thinking it was about time to update it.
MisterFubar

Postby scandell » Fri May 21, 2010 9:59 am

I remember waiting in line for this rid for over an hour....now the average wait time is 15 minutes
scandell

Postby Legopino » Fri May 21, 2010 11:55 am

I remember that ride! It was pretty cool, and it's a pity they're closing it.
Legopino

Postby Inzane » Fri May 21, 2010 4:00 pm

MisterFubar wrote:While it was a fun ride, I do think it's a little dated.

Agreed. It was cool when I first experienced in Florida back in '89. But more recently my wife and I have been to both parks, WDW in 2005 and DL in 2009 and Star Tours is way behind the technology curve today.

It doesn't hold a candle to some of the vastly superior motion theme rides now. The Simpsons at Universal LA is a prime example.

I would be curious if they completely redid a Star Wars themed ride. And I'm sure they will.
Inzane

Postby thepatient » Sat May 22, 2010 12:45 pm

banthafodder wrote:...Or they could finally bring back the journey through inner space ride. I loved that one as a kid theough I was always worried that I would remain permanently shrunken. Now I wish I could permanently shrink my gut.

That was my favorite as a kid. At first I was bummed when the inner space was gone, but Star Tours easily made up for it. It's the one ride I have to ride when I go to the park. My son turns 5 this year and we will be taking him to DL for the first time. I might have to do a couple of repeats for old times sake.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Next

Return to Star Wars