Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

It Was Just a Joke

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

It Was Just a Joke

Postby Staff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 am

Well, another year's gone by, and another prank is in the can.

Come on, now, the datestamp on the article should have been your first hint. If not, my one and only post on TBB being about knock-off Hello Kitty Duplo was another clue. And finally, all the people posting comments about it being April Fools' Day should have been a dead giveaway.

To set the record straight: I am not leaving. I have not nor intend to sell the domain. My wife and I are not pregnant with our second child. Don really is waiting for his mail order bride, but from Japan. It's rare I get to flex any creative muscle, and the prank post was just an exercise in writing.

I'd like to thank my staff for the brainstorming session on this year's prank and a big thanks to Andrew over at The Brothers Brick for being my partner in crime.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/04/02/it-was-just-a-joke/
Staff

Re: It Was Just a Joke

Postby Solo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:01 am

Also, I just want to say this to everyone deeply offended and crying foul: relax. Maybe next year spend the day offline. It will save you a lot of strife. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby JuanBlase » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:07 am

I hate you all, seriously, I hate you all!
But I am so glad I could cry.
JuanBlase

Postby zithy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 am

At first reading I was bummer, as were many others. So even though a little joke, it should be nice to know that the site would be missed had it been true. Your work is greatly appreciated for the information it provides!

Thanks guys!
zithy

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:05 am

I actually have to say, this is probably your best prank yet. You guys actually had me going for a bit until I realized the date. I logged a little after midnight last night, so I wasn't really in April Fools mode just yet. The only question I have at this point is: How can you possible top this?

In other news, I thought it was kind of sad that there were so many people early on who felt like being spoilsports by announcing "April Fools Prank." If it's so obvious to you, why not join in the fun and play along (like I did). It says alot about how unimaginative/uncreative you are. Are you so insecure about being "made a fool" that you can't stop for a second and think about how ridiculous that is? To be honest, I'm much more embarrassed for the spoilsport tattletails than for anyone who was actually fooled by this. I'd rather be naive/gullible than an insecure wanker. Now how 'bout you make like Brett Favre and pull your pants up already?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Solo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 am

BTW Jude, out of curiosity... what was up with all those insanely juvenile pot-shots you took at the random other sites?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:06 am

They were meant as jokes, and should be regarded as such. I've never really spent much (or any) time at CABG, Eurobricks, or the Brothers Brick, so I have no idea what they are actually like. I just felt like making plays on their names. As for Classic Space, which arguably was the weakest of the bunch; I actually enjoy the site and all the great MOCs found there.

So no, none of that was meant seriously. Juvenile? Oh, probably... but isn't that what April Fools is all about anyways? Besides, was it really any more "insanely" juvenile than your prank?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Jabba the Taff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:06 am

Ahhh, you gave it up to quickly. Not quite the balls of last year's week-long prank! But well played!
Jabba the Taff

Postby OOM-9 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:36 am

Figures!... and I just finished packing all my stuff! last years prank was great and the fact it lasted a week drove a lot of people here nuts. :lol:
OOM-9

Postby meeotch » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:24 am

hyuk hyuk
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Garbageman13 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:02 am

I remember lurking around here last year and reading the "From Bombs To Boulders" topic. It was so insanely funny, I couldn't wait to see what you guys would do this year.

You did not disappoint! Very well played! :D
Garbageman13

Postby thepatient » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:27 am

At first I was in shock, but the date of the post suddenly hit me. For about five seconds I was scrampling, "What will be my new homepage?" The other clue was how much work a 3 month baby is. As a parent the easiest time was the early time in my kids life. They don't much, except eat, cry, sleep and poop. The most trouble is they keep you up at night and all the stuff you have you bring with you any time you leave the house with the baby. Kids become a handful when they take their first steps. That's when the trouble begins, that's when we will get the real farewell.

I started a post roasting all the staff, but then I thought it wouldn't translate well. A good roast as to be funny and mean. I figured come the 2nd of April, someone would think it's just mean. Maybe an idea for a contest? Exercise the old writing muscles?

This was the most effective April Fool's Day joke yet. I give it a 10, at first that front page... it did worry me.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Firespray » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:13 am

Solo wrote:Also, I just want to say this to everyone deeply offended and crying foul: relax. Maybe next year spend the day offline. It will save you a lot of strife. ;)

QFE :lol:

Also you know this site is doing something right when you've got a lot of it's community freaking the hell out (see last year also) :lol:
Firespray

Postby KarolRabalski » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 am

Hahahahahaha....
good stuff guys. You had me fooled. :D
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby Jargon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:14 am

Eh. It was a bit too gloomy for my tastes, but you certainly pulled it off well.
Jargon

Postby Gooker1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:48 am

Dangit, ya'll are back. I was hoping it was true. :) How was the day off? haha
Gooker1

Postby dWhisper » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:39 pm

I never even got to use my whole "I never would participate in a joke like this" line. Some of the responses were funny, some heartfelt, but the best were over on Eurobricks. It's a site hat never even enters my mind mos of the time, but I found it quite odd how many "former members" were over there because of our jokes. It makes me wonder if they stopped using Google after yesterday too.

I'm glad so many could take, and understand, the joke. We certainly enjoyed the day catching up on our reading and knitting.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Draykov » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 pm

:shock: ...my muffins!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Darth Kooku » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:00 pm

Well played. Like my post said, I was a bit disheartened at least until I caught on. I enjoy this site, it would be a loss if this site went down. I guess last year's joke went for a week to make the joke seem authentic. April 1st comes around only once a year and is appropriate for pranks. April 2-7, well... Anyway, nicely played not overdone.
Darth Kooku

Postby RfAurora » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:52 pm

And a well played joke it was. Had me laughing after I figured it out.
RfAurora

Next

Return to Community Features