Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Are there plans for more LEGO stores?

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Re: Are there plans for more LEGO stores?

Postby BrickSith206 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:58 am

Disclaimer: I'm a very recent former LEGO Brand Retail Employee with various contacts at various positions throughout the organization. I wanted to work there because I thought it would a fun way to get some social interaction and to be around something I love...

Having said that, I've watched this thread with great interest until the day I would not be a LBR employee.

Yes, it can be difficult to get a job at a LEGO store. However, it can be done. If you're a huge fan, save yourself the heartache, I can honestly say that the discount IS NOT worth working there. Also, having personally seen the order sheets, even at 50% discount, LEGO is still making a 30% margin at the store level.

1. Australia Stores are in the works.

2. Someone claimed that LBR up until last year was an experiment....I beg to differ. I would hardly consider opening almost a dozen stores in less than 12 months experimental. LBR stores are CASH machines, same store sales increase on average 10% year over year, new stores set sales records and continue to climb. The store I worked in was roughly a 4-5 million dollar a year store, and it's run out of approximately 1500 sq feet. It was once experimental, but now it would appear that the FDA has approved the drug and manufacture has begun. (obvious metaphor)

3. TLG could care less about Walmart, Target, etc. Those big box chains purchase the product as a loss-leader, or to simply have variety at their locations. I always buy some LEGO with my milk... :roll: If you need proof of this, walk through your local Walmart and see the shelves full, or sparse with no new product ordered in months, or just browse the 'Find Deals' forum on this site. Sure, there is the occasional S&H sale or store special, but NEVER have I seen a B2G1, B1G1, or discounts as large as 40-75% at a LEGO branded store. However, they seem to exist endlessly for all these other big-box retailers. While they are surely TLG's largest customers, they probably take the biggest hits just to turn the product in this economy.

4. LBR stores are found in affluent area high-end malls, or in the suburban sprawl. LEGO knows their demographic. There are a few exceptions to the current model they are following, and those are the first 5 stores they opened in the US. Yes, I can say this because I have been to almost all of them, with exception for a few of the newest ones.

Ugh, I had more points but I need to handle a few things. I will add them later.

EDIT: I've been asked not to write my other points due to the private information contained there-in.

I will close with this: I'm definitely not trying to deter anyone from wanting to work for TLG, as they somewhat try to take care of their employees. Just realize that it is only a job, you will be yelled at by someone who knows nothing about it, you will work with people who could care less about it, and you will be paid minimum wage to do it, regardless of your knowledge of the product and history of the company.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby legodavee123 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:31 am

BrickSith206 wrote:Yes, it can be difficult to get a job at a LEGO store. However, it can be done. If you're a huge fan, save yourself the heartache, I can honestly say that the discount IS NOT worth working there.

Huh-- I know of at least 3 hobbyists in my local area (Massachusetts) that have gotten jobs at the LBR stores and have had very positive experiences. But I did hear from one employee (I forget where from-- not sure if it was New England), who said they didn't enjoy their experience. I guess it's a mixed bag.

BrickSith206 wrote:Also, having personally seen the order sheets, even at 50% discount, LEGO is still making a 30% margin at the store level.

Well, apart from the fact that they're paying you :) And possibly employee benefits, insurance, rental space, etc. :)

BrickSith206 wrote:Someone claimed that LBR up until last year was an experiment....I beg to differ.

I dunno-- they started in, what? 2003? So last year was 2008, so a 5-year experiment? I could see that perhaps they deemed it a 5-year experiment at the outset, and declared it a success pretty early on.

BrickSith206 wrote:TLG could care less about Walmart, Target, etc. Those big box chains purchase the product as a loss-leader, or to simply have variety at their locations.

The way I've heard it, the large retailers in the USA are really about brand placement for LEGO, not as much for profit. I wouldn't say that they couldn't care less about them... which... I think is what you meant to say.

BrickSith206 wrote:LBR stores are found in affluent area high-end malls, or in the suburban sprawl.

Definitely true. One thing I had wondered about was the quantity of stores in these areas. According to one report we heard, the ruling monopoly on malls in our area is Simon malls, who flatly refused LEGO to have only ONE store in their chain of malls. Instead, Simon insisted that they have 2 or more locations at their area malls, so LEGO was forced to accommodate. Do you know if that's true elsewhere?

BrickSith206 wrote:I'm definitely not trying to deter anyone from wanting to work for TLG, as they somewhat try to take care of their employees. Just realize that it is only a job, you will be yelled at by someone who knows nothing about it, you will work with people who could care less about it, and you will be paid minimum wage to do it, regardless of your knowledge of the product and history of the company.

I dunno, sounds to me like you're trying to deter other AFOLs from working there-- probably better to say instead that your experience there wasn't a good one (or so it sounds) if your intentions are to expound on your experience rather than to discourage others.

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby BrickSith206 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 am

DaveE, I PM'ed you to help this thread stay OT.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby meeotch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:10 am

This thread was started back in March and is pretty much dead other than the occaisional necro-bump from someone with a new gripe that their area doesn't have a LEGO store, only to be greeted with the same general response that when LEGO is going to open a new store, they'll know about it when LEGO is ready to make the announcement, and not before. The information you have been sharing, on the other hand, I have found to be most interesting. I'd personally like to hear more about that, and less "Wahhh, I want a LEGO store too" junk.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Andi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:29 am

^I second that. But if you are not allowed to talk more about your experience, I understand.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby BrickSith206 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:44 am

I'm always available through PM if you have questions about my personal experiences. Please keep in mind that I will not be able to answer all of them due to legal ramifications.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby onions » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:35 pm

BrickSith206 wrote:I'm always available through PM if you have questions about my personal experiences. Please keep in mind that I will not be able to answer all of them due to legal ramifications.

what legal ramifications? did you sign an NDA?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby BrickSith206 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:16 am

onions wrote:
BrickSith206 wrote:I'm always available through PM if you have questions about my personal experiences. Please keep in mind that I will not be able to answer all of them due to legal ramifications.

what legal ramifications? did you sign an NDA?

Absolutely, it's a requirement to take a position. Standard practice. I make full time employees working for me sign a 3 year non-compete in addition to an NDA. Contract labor just gets the NDA.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby onions » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 am

legally speaking then, you can't really share anything over PM anyway if it falls under the NDA.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby BrickSith206 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:13 am

onions wrote:legally speaking then, you can't really share anything over PM anyway if it falls under the NDA.

Well, considering I only said I would share my personal experiences, and not Private LEGO Information, my eagle tells me I will be fine.

Notwithstanding, it was a specific NDA with regards to exact private information like new releases, products, etc. Also, anything I created while there is TLG's property.

My personal experiences are all my own and contain no information that would constitute a breach of that NDA.

BTW, this post just cost me $50.00 (20 min conversation with said eagle).
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby bigospedros » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:04 am

BrickSith206 wrote:TLG could care less

you will work with people who could care less about it

Man ... this grammatical error really bugs me ... the phrase is "couldn't care less". Saying someone "could care less" means they do care to start with. Saying someone "couldn't care less" means just that, they don't care in anyway now and therefore caring less will make no difference. That is what the phrase is meant for .... unless I am very much mistaken!

[/random grammatical rant over]

:P
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 am

BrickSith206 wrote:
onions wrote:legally speaking then, you can't really share anything over PM anyway if it falls under the NDA.

Well, considering I only said I would share my personal experiences, and not Private LEGO Information, my eagle tells me I will be fine.

Notwithstanding, it was a specific NDA with regards to exact private information like new releases, products, etc. Also, anything I created while there is TLG's property.

My personal experiences are all my own and contain no information that would constitute a breach of that NDA.

BTW, this post just cost me $50.00 (20 min conversation with said eagle).

me reading your post costs me 3 times that plus a little bit of my sanity, and there's no price tag for that.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby meeotch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:24 pm

bigospedros wrote:sniparoony

You are somewhat mistaken. While what you say is true in a literal reading, things don't always evolve linearly.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-i-cou ... s-mean.htm
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby The Brain » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:52 pm

onions wrote:me reading your post costs me 3 times that plus a little bit of my sanity, and there's no price tag for that.

Aww...I was hoping to buy some of yours so I could FINALLY have some of my own. :p
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby BrickSith206 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:55 am

bigospedros wrote:
BrickSith206 wrote:TLG could care less

you will work with people who could care less about it

Man ... this grammatical error really bugs me ... the phrase is "couldn't care less". Saying someone "could care less" means they do care to start with. Saying someone "couldn't care less" means just that, they don't care in anyway now and therefore caring less will make no difference. That is what the phrase is meant for .... unless I am very much mistaken!

[/random grammatical rant over]

:P

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxcouldc.html

Maybe that is how it goes down in England... I think implication that one could care less but doesn't makes a more bold statement. I guess I could raise my hand and display my index and middle fingers pressed together as a hand signal insult, but here in America just one finger is sufficient. :)

This thread is all over the place and I'm honestly surprised it has not seen a padlock yet.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:25 am

Those links are weak...they simply rationalize the lazy/incorrect expression ("I could care less") which makes no sense at all. If You Could Care Less About Common Errors in English ...

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Greg F » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:20 pm

As I watch the cranes at work and buildings rise in the Downtown Salt Lake City "City Creek" project, I can't help but think it would be a perfect location for a LEGO store. There are A LOT of kids in Utah.

I've been to the LEGO stores in Orlando and Denver, both experiences (especially the pick-a-brick wall) were fun.

G
Greg F

Postby imaginebrickzone » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:36 pm

This has been interesting to read through. I moved from Hawaii to Colorado this summer, but was still on Oahu when the new, very first Hawaii Lego store, opened a couple years ago. I'm a teenager, but even I noticed how many people were always in that store. Since there are always a lot of Japanese tourists on Oahu, it seemed there were plenty buying all the time. Seems like the Hawaii store was kind of a test for Lego seeing how much of the Asian market they would get on vacation from Japan and even China. So maybe some more stores might be built out that way in the future...just my guess.
imaginebrickzone

Previous

Return to Ask LEGO