Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Why Toys'R'Us Sucks

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Why Toys'R'Us Sucks

Postby Staff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:12 pm

It's no big secret that the site makes money from our affiliate links to Amazon, LEGO Shop@Home, Target, etc. And believe me when I say that every click that leads to a penny is fully appreciated. So it should come to no surprise that I prefer linking to products and deals from our affiliates before non-affiliated companies. Toys'R'Us is an exception in that FBTB.net does not have an affiliate relationship with them yet I will still report sales and deals regardless. I believe by not doing so, it would be a disservice to our readers. I have applied to their affiliate program many times. Try as I might, and as often as I apply, I have always been rejected. Now before you think I'm just whining, okay, so maybe I am a little bit, allow me to state why Toy'R'Us sucks. The reasons they give me, EVERY SINGLE TIME, why I am not approved for their affiliate program are as follows, and this is copied directly from their rejection email:

* inability to access Web site
* Web site not yet live
* traffic levels too low
* inappropriate material on site

Allow me to deconstruct each point.

* inability to access Web site - I'm on the site every day and every night, pretty much every chance I get, monitoring the forums, checking messages, coding features, etc. Our uptime hasn't been better. Sure there are a few hiccups now and then, but I find it hard to believe that someone from the affiliate approval department would not be able to access the site.

* Web site not yet live - Hello? If you're reading this, I'm pretty sure we're live.

* traffic levels too low - FBTB's traffic may not compare to some other heavy hitters, but hey, we get pretty good statistics according to Google Analytics.

* inappropriate material on site - Now that's a first. LEGO Star Wars is inappropriate? Better warn the parents. Sarcasm aside, how would they be able to make that judgement if a) they are unable to access the site and b) they believe the site is not yet live?

I have a feeling Toys'R'Us just rejects every applicant and checks off every reason why without really bothering looking at applications. That right there is a sign of incompetence. Providing reasons that not only contradict each other but also contradicts the truth is proof that no effort is made in reviewing applications. And if that's the case, then TRU has no real intent on approving any applications. If TRU does not allow affiliates, they should just cancel their program and withdraw from Linkshare completely. 'Cause seriously, what's the point?

Regardless of the above rant, I will continue to report sales and deals from Toys'R'Us as I believe it will benefit our readers.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/11/04/why-toysrus-sucks/
Staff

Re: Why Toys'R'Us Sucks

Postby Bulls_Eye » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Sorry to hear that Ace. Although considering how rare it is for them to have Lego at even MSRP, I don't think we're missing much.
Bulls_Eye

Postby meeotch » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Give us a good feedback link, Ace. I'll fire them off an e-mail the likes of which they've never seen. Their shields won't be able to repel stern language of this magnitude. >:)
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Yeah! Suck it, TRU!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Firespray » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:09 pm

So when does FBTB go live?
Firespray

Postby Iare Tosevite » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 pm

In -8 years approx.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby hmillington » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:33 am

Ace, I have the same problem. I've applied for Brickset.com a couple of times and have been rejected both times and despite asking I've never received a reason why. Perhaps together we could apply pressure/complain to LinkShare about their shoddy behaviour.
hmillington

Postby onions » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:18 am

heh, andrew sent me an email stating the same thing. looks like TRU just flat out denies all requests. i'm curious, did you get the same lame reasons why you were denied?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Andi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:38 am

sounds like they are only in this program because it sounds cool or something. But reject everyone who dares to ask.
That's crap.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Nash » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:01 am

I only know what the TRU in my area is like... and it's terrible. Everything is always over priced. The sales reps are a joke. There's always a fair amount of merch. out and in bad condition (that the reps are playing with). They literally laugh at you when you ask them questions. There's a target across the street that has most (but not all) the sets the TRU has for less; I'll shop the Target. At least they're respectful.
Nash

Postby Inzane » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 am

Toys R Us sucks anyways, being one of a few retailers that frequently marks UP Lego sets to prices ABOVE Lego's own MSRP.
>:( >8(
Inzane

Postby BlueDragonZ » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 am

Inzane wrote:Toys R Us sucks anyways, being one of a few retailers that frequently marks UP Lego sets to prices ABOVE Lego's own MSRP.

They are just making money from parents who don't know the "actual" retail cost. Marking up a few $ and they gain a little bit more profit. When they put it on sale, it goes back to msrp and parents buying for their kids think its actually a "sale".

Toysrus has been struggling most likely as they are having difficulty competing with wal mart. On wikipedia, it says toysrus is the 2nd largest toy chain despite that they tottally specialize in toys. However, wal mart does not specialize in toys, but is the #1 toy selling giant... But they really shouldn't overprice most of their lego sets. They also like to change their regular prices quite often as well.
BlueDragonZ

Postby Jabba the Taff » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:18 am

TRS suck in Britain too. As one of the few toyshop chains left I think they play off that a bit and like BlueDragonZ said they rely on parents. The store closest to me couldn't be less welcoming if it tried. It just feels like a warehouse.
Last edited by Jabba the Taff on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabba the Taff

Postby hatcher » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Their Canadian Division isn't too bright either. Case in point, all the other major toy retailers (Walmart and Zellers in particular) got all the new Star Wars and Indy sets a full month before TRU did. So, after being a month behind the others, what did they do? They jacked up the prices on sets that were readily available at other stores FOR LOWER PRICES! :facepalm: I'd quote Red from "That 70's show", but the board censor write's "genius" instead of what Red really said. :)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:35 pm

BlueDragonZ wrote:On wikipedia, it says toysrus is the 2nd largest toy chain despite that they tottally specialize in toys. However, wal mart does not specialize in toys, but is the #1 toy selling giant.

That's because WalMart has so many more stores than TRU. You can be driving through the lowest-populated cow town around and find a WalMart but TRU only has stores in high populations.

I wonder why TRU even participates in Link Share if they're going to blow everyone off. You'd think they'd take any opportunity to draw customers to their site. The claim that there's inappropriate material on FBTB is $#%@&^*#!
GrayMattR

Postby The Brain » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:29 pm

Man, I could go on and on about how much TRU sucks--and not just from my personal experiences!

Before my brother started college, he worked for one summer at TRU and HATEDit (ironically, they loved him there...). I could go on a long rant, but it'll suffice for me to just state my concordance with the above posts, and stick my tongue out at TRU alongside you all.

:p
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby clonefactory » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Who have they affiliated with? Just curious.
clonefactory

Postby Kyle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:41 am

Collin's mom. :p
Kyle

Postby Big C » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:11 am

It's true.
Big C

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:28 am

You see Kyle, your post fits exactly into Toys 'R' Us' category of "inappropriate material on site". In short, you're the reason Ace isn't getting anything from them...

XD ;)

Seriously though, that's a great example of bad marketing on the part of TRU.

We have an old addage in corporate communication : a satisfied customer will tell one or two person about his good experience, but an unsatisfied one will tell ten or even more. Ace has just given us a great example of that here.

Add to that the snowball effect (everyone here chiming in with their bad experiences with TRU), and the company ends up leaving a really bad impression, when all of it could have been avoided by a few dollars.

Really, how much would it have cost TRU to satisfy Ace here? How much would it cost to honestly and diligently handle their affiliate program? Less than a thousand bucks, maybe? Not a whole lot to keep a bad situation from becoming a bad reputation if you ask me.
Daz Hoo

Next

Return to Community Features