Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Ben 10 Found On Amazon.com

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Ben 10 Found On Amazon.com

Postby Staff » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:37 am

I almost don't want to report this, but apparently Amazon.com wants to be the leader in leaked LEGO set information as you can see most if not all of the new LEGO Ben 10 line:

One can't help but draw comparisons to the failed Galidor line when viewing these. Though Humongousaur might warrant a purchase for the name alone.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/10/09/lego-ben-10-found-on-amazon-com/
Staff

Re: LEGO Ben 10 Found On Amazon.com

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:19 am

Is it just me, or is the only thing "LEGO" about these the logo on the box? Though I admit to feeling the same way about Bionicle, so maybe I'm just prejudiced against things that don't look like they use any standard pieces.
Mister Ed

Postby OOM-9 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:45 am

Good lord it Galidor all over again! :roll:
OOM-9

Postby etcknight » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:06 am

OOM-9 wrote:Good lord it Galidor all over again! :roll:

Seriously! >8( Good call Lego Co with "Toy Story." Bad call with "Ben 10." A big "P-A-S-S" for this AFOL. :S
etcknight

Postby Andi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:10 am

ugh. Horrible.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Skafte » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:36 am

Oh dear. There is no LEGO in them. Fail.
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby Draykov » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:49 am

[quote=staff]
One can't help but draw comparisons to the failed Galidor line when viewing these.

Amen to that. Personally, I hope they die a quick and quiet death. I don't wish any ill-will on the stakeholders of this line...I just get very bad Galidorious vibes and I think this is crossing a line LEGO crossed once before with horrific results.
Last edited by Draykov on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Solo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:50 am

What are you talking about? It's ALL LEGO in them. Just not "system" parts.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:55 am

Well, yes. Technically it is LEGO, since it is made by LEGO. As I said, I can tell because of the logo on the box.
It just doesn't look like anything that I have previously associated with LEGO, and if that logo were absent, I wouldn't guess that it was.
I mean, even the ice cube trays they sell are technically LEGO, right? (Though at least they are recognizable as such without benefit of the logo. ;) )
Mister Ed

Postby Robzula » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:38 pm

I really don't see the point in complaining about these. They're not targeted at most of the people on this forum, they're targeted at little kids. Honestly, these look more fun than some of the action figures I had growing up, so for kids it's a good enough idea.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:53 pm

You are right, of course. I have no interest in them, and likely wouldn't even if they were system sets, so commenting on them at all is kind of silly. I guess I'm a silly guy- my kids could tell you that. :D

Does seem like an odd choice to devote resources to, though. Unless I am mistaken, they already have a line of action figures for this property, and the way these are designed, they seem like they will compete directly with that. In that competition, I would tend to expect the action figures to come out ahead, since they are likely more accurate reditions of the characters (and cheaper to boot). I'm just not sure how much of a desire there would be to customize characters from bits of the ones on the show.

But LEGO has presumably done market research, so I'll just go back to ignoring this line entirely.
Mister Ed

Postby Robzula » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:08 pm

From what I've seen of the current Ben 10 "action figures," they're just little plastic statuettes that can change out arms and legs to make new aliens but have no real articulation, so the LEGO ones are definately a step up.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Well, they'd better be, since they seem to cost three times as much. ;)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. Shutting up now.)
Mister Ed

Postby Flynn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm

All these basically are are liscensed Bionicle figures with slightly larger new peices. It's not going to get any of my money, but I don't see why everyone is hating on it so much.

It's certaintly no Galidor (though, I'll come right out and say it, Galidor on its own merits as a toy wasn't very bad at all, in fact, I think it was pretty dang good. It just failed immensly as a LEGO theme).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby CaptainPike » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Ben 10 is actually a really well written show that kids and adult SF fans can enjoy. That said, what morons launch a toy line on Jan 1st instead of, I don't know, before xmas?
CaptainPike

Postby onions » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:35 pm

haha, historically, the LEGO january assortment is available jan 1 in terms of marketing, but they've always been found at or near christmas time in time for the holiday rush.

i remember many many years ago when boba fett's slave i, the first version, was released for the next year's january assortment i went to tru on christmas eve and found the last one on the shelf. i was a happy man that night.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Blacknight » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Why does Lego bother with this junk? I thought they learned their lesson the first, second and third time already...
Blacknight

Postby OOM-9 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Robzula wrote:I really don't see the point in complaining about these. They're not targeted at most of the people on this forum, they're targeted at little kids. Honestly, these look more fun than some of the action figures I had growing up, so for kids it's a good enough idea.

Yes. I have to keep reminding myself that its not all about me but its for the children.
OOM-9

Postby irmasturcheeflol » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:53 am

who said they wouldn't make that galidore mistake again!
Series 1: Cowboy, Indian, Clown, Diver, Spaceman, Zombie, Robot, Forestman, Skater.
irmasturcheeflol

Postby Draykov » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:19 am

Robzula wrote:I really don't see the point in complaining about these.

The point of complaining about anything is to express discontent. The point of these forums is to share/express opinions. While some people complain about unreasonable expectations like "it doesn't have 40 new uniquely molded figs and cost $9.99," I can totally see why people who lived through the Galidor days would find this trend disconcerting. Is this the future of LEGO. No. Will it effect other LEGO themes. No, probably not. Does it pain me to see LEGO release crappy sets for any theme regardless of the intended target audience? Yes, it does...and these look crappy to me. If "only the best is good enough" then these fall short of the mark in my eyes.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Next

Return to Licensed Themes