Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

What needs a MOC to get answers?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Re: What needs a MOC to get answers?

Postby Skafte » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 am

bdc wrote:Maybe there should be a MOC of the week or the month or more MOC contests?

And when there are contests, perhaps reveal the winners? The tension built in th "Forums Are Down, Contest Is Up!" Thread is unbearable! XD
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby Honger » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:13 am

Most people, like me, are lazy. And although we may want to take the time to slap you in the face or give you a pat on the back for your creation. We don't want to spent a whole 10 seconds to come up with a clever response to do so. On top of that we are also afraid of all the "your comment is useless" and "you are mean" responses. So why don't you make it easy for us kind of people and include a poll with your MOC presentation. So we can anonymously praise or insult you with just one click.

The poll be as specific as you want, eg:

- Hate it
- Love it
- Needs more stromtroopers.
Honger

Postby Andi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:22 am

What a lovely idea with the poll :lol:
Only problem is that only Mods or Admins can set up a poll.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby fredjh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 am

I do like giving congratulatory pats on the back, but I guess I'm just not that easily impressed. If it's good, the creator knows it's good. If they don't see critiques, then few people are spotting any problems with it, or ways to make it better.

Maybe it is laziness... if something blows me away, I say so... but if it's just "good," then I don't feel like responding to every single MOC posting, but really, they're mostly at least good.
fredjh

Postby SuperDave » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:38 am

JPCJedi wrote:...the tragedy is that there has been so much ludicrous excellence in space building that even something ...awesome ...doesn't stand out. It's awesome clearly, but we've all seen things like it before. And to this, I have no solution. Bummer. :(

Alright, you over there, and you, and you- ok, all of you! Start building worse.
SuperDave

Postby Anio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:42 pm

What an interesting thread ! :)

Actually, the reason why I subscribed to FBTB is the MOC section (I mean that I can get the news somewhere else, contrary to the MOCs).
But now, I have to say that I do not browse the forum anymore... There is no answer. At the moment, number of replies on the 10 first threads : 6, 2, 8, 4, 3, 2, 6, 6, 5, 8. That's just frightening ! Image

Nevertheless, I keep on presenting a MOC, when I do one, hoping that people will answer. :roll:

Besides, I also think that members have to show pictures and writte some words about their MOC.

PS : I should present a MOC soon...
Anio

Postby Larry Lars » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:10 am

It's easy. If you want some response on your MOC:s you post them on Flickr!

I'm a devoted fan of the FBTB and for me the MOC Showcase Forum is the most important part of it. As an adult fan of Lego the creativity in building is the whole point of the hobby for me. Checking out the news once in a while is more a way of keeping up with the development in set design and what new pieces to expect.

FBTB is always going to have a place in my heart, but when it comes to showing your work and view others for inspiration the FBTB forum has lost it's value for me.

I don't know how much members have listened to and therefore follows the "rules" explained by the staff in the constructive criticism threads.
The new thread

..and the one from the old forums

But I think that one of the problems, together with pure lazyness when it comes to writing our brief posts, is this staff attitude of this being a "getting help with bad or difficult building forum".
If you don't think you need help, don't post! and if you don't think you can help, don't post!

This is not the place if you just want to show your work to "show off" and inspire others and not the place to be inspired by the work of others. Every place has it's function and I guess it's no big deal since there is other locations that works better for all of the facets of showing and viewing MOC's

If you haven't figured it out yet, the whole "Don't write at all if you just want to write; AWSOME" -deal means that you have to dig deep to find the gems.
On top you'll find the ones that need help, but only the ones that you can help with a brief post without sounding that you think you're better than them. If you don't visit the MOC thread on a dayly basis you're going to miss most of the interesting stuff that makes yo feel proud to be part of such a strong SW LEGO community.

This was my humble opinion.
Larry Lars

Previous

Return to General LEGO Discussions