A long time ago, before there was My Nintendo, there was Club Nintendo. You got codes inside physical games and were able to redeem those codes for points. Then you can spend those points for Nintendo-branded merch like shirts and bags and stuff. They retired Club Nintendo back in 2015, and all physical rewards disappeared with it. Then My Nintendo came around and offered some, to be honest, really lame rewards. I’m talking 3DS themes, wallpaper, and 30% discounts to digital games. The best thing to redeem for a long time was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Picross. It probably still is the best thing to get right now but, but, but hear me out on this, there may be something better on the horizon because you can now redeem points for physical goods.
The selection is pretty small right now. You have your choice between a Xenoblade Chronicles phone ring, Xenoblade Chronicles stickers, and a Splatoon 2 Postcard Set. A meager beginning but it’s a good sign of things to come.
How To Redeem My Nintendo Points For Physical Rewards
Here’s an outline of the steps you’ll need to take to get your goods.
- Log into your My Nintendo account.
- Go to the Rewards Categories page and click on Nintendo Store rewards.
- Click on the item you want. For me, the Splatoon 2 Postcard set was a no brainer.
- Assuming you have enough points, click on Redeem. A code will be generated for you on that page. Copy the code.
- Click on the Access Now button that appears. It will take you to the store’s product page.
- Add the item to your cart. You’ll then be prompted to enter the code that was generated for you.
- Mentally prepare yourself to pay for shipping and then proceed to checkout.
- Shipping and taxes came out to $5.48 cents total. Maybe I’m spoiled by just about every online purchase I make offering free shipping, but honestly, shipping should be free. I still paid for it cause I didn’t want my soon-to-be-expiring points to expire.
I liked a lot of the physical goods from the Club Nintendo days, so I’m excited to see what the future holds. I had a lot of points expire because getting wallpaper or discounts to sucky games weren’t appealing. But hey, if I can get a t-shirt, a pencil case, or some other kind of cool merch, I’m all for it. Maybe no one else was redeeming any points either so The Big N is starting to go down this route.
Time to start hoarding coins!