Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Gold c3-p0?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Gold c3-p0?

Postby Legohno » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am

Hi all I'm new here, not much of a "forum" type of person. I've been a Lego fan for years, but I just recently started collecting... I guess buying Lego's for my kids sparked the old flame back up :lol: Anyway I recently came across this and I'm not sure about buying it so I figured I should join a forum and ask the experts.

It's not an official "Lego" but do you guys think it's worth adding to a collection? I think it's pretty cool :cool: And certainly more obtainable than the real deal!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/102587562/2 ... h_type=all
Legohno

Re: Gold c3-p0?

Postby sstoroe » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:10 pm

I would spend my money on one of these.

better investment. This will not go up in value and it is not really collectible.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sw158
sstoroe

Postby sparkart » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:58 am

i think the handmade item is cool, but it smacks a bit of recasting, http://theclubhouse1.net/museum/RECAST.htm

Back in my scale modeling/garage kit days, I'd often read and discuss intellectual property and copying of other people's work. it was eye opening, it got me to stop taking the easy cheap route of downloading music and movies, and make more effort to reward the actual producers of the material I enjoyed. it's complicated, too. I mean every time I whistle the tune of a popular song, should I pay the writer of that song a penny? a ridiculous example, but when you talk about intellectual property and how thought is translated into the tangible experience you have to define such boundaries.

You understand more when you move from being a pure consumer to being a producer. I'm pretty sure the Etsy maker isn't paying any license fees to use Star Wars and LEGO IP. Does it really matter? He's not damaging or diluting the value of either.

But back on topic, should you collect it or not? in the end you have to value the item for you purposes. if you're looking to sell your collection someday, then this item will probably be nigh worthless, but to you, if you can never get another like it, it's priceless. thanks for the link, it's nice to see interesting trinkets being made from some of my favorite stuff. and sorry about the meandering post, I'm not quite lucid.
sparkart

Postby Rook » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:16 am

I’m not an expert but I know gold pretty well and the looks like 8-12K. This might be because of being plated over plastic. But I’m willing to guess you’ll not be happy with product.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:56 am

It's neat, but not $100 neat. I think the gold looks like that because it's plated over pewter. Also, the torso detail looks like it's scratched in by hand and varies from passable to terrible. I don't see this as highly collectable.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Return to Star Wars