Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby Staff » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:13 am


21012 Sydney Opera House


LEGO sent over the official press release and a nice hi-res render of their newest Architecture set, 21012 Sydney Opera House. Slated for a March 1 release, 21012 contains 270 pieces and will set you back $39.99 USD / $49.99 CAD / €39.99 EURO.


Sydney’s revered opera house immortalized in LEGO® bricks

BILLUND, Denmark – The Sydney Opera House™, a masterpiece of late-modernist architecture that is admired internationally and treasured by the people of Australia, has had its famous sculpted curves recreated by LEGO® Architecture.

Sydney Opera House was created by Jørn Utzon, a young Danish architect who understood the potential provided by the site against the stunning backdrop of Sydney Harbour. The massive concrete sculptural shells that form the Sydney Opera House’s roof appear like billowing sails filled by the sea winds. Utzon envisaged it as a Gothic cathedral that people would never tire of and ‘never be finished with’.

The LEGO version of the Sydney Opera House seeks to capture the essence of this grand building in a small scale. The LEGO Architecture range, which now features 13 models, uses the iconic LEGO brick to interpret the designs of iconic architecture around the world. Like the other models in the range it was created by Adam Reed-Tucker

Sydney Opera House is not only a building with great beauty but it has also become known throughout the world as a symbol for not only a city, but a whole country. “For us it was an obvious choice to include it in our collection, both because of its significance in the architectural world and its importance within Danish Architecture,” says Daiva Staneikaite Naldal, Senior Business Manager LEGO Architecture.

Since its opening in 1973 over 45 million people have attended more than 100 000 performances and it is estimated that well over 100 million people have visited the site. It is one of Australia's most visited tourist attractions.

“Sydney Opera House is thrilled to partner with one of the world’s leading toy manufacturers to produce the Sydney Opera House LEGO Architecture set,” says Sydney Opera House’s Commercial Development Director, Andy Lown.

“Sydney Opera House strives to take people on a journey from the ordinary to the extraordinary, whoever and wherever they are, and this licensed range is a great example of how we can deliver our brand to a global audience. We’re delighted people from around the world can now build a LEGO brick replica of the House.”

LEGO Architecture products features well-known buildings, and the work of important architects Aimed at inspiring future architects, engineers and designers as well as architecture fans around the world, the range contains a booklet featuring step-by-step building instructions that is prefaced by exclusive, archival history, information and photographs of each iconic building, its design origin, its architect and its architectural features.

For more information about LEGO Architecture visit http://architecture.lego.com/

The LEGO Sydney Opera House™ is available for purchase from March 1 in LEGO brand retail stores, LEGOLAND Stores and online at http://shop.lego.com/. The product is designed for ages 12+ and will include a content-rich booklet with facts and history of Sydney Opera House™. Recommended retail price is $39.99 or €39.99

###

ABOUT THE LEGO GROUP

The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company, based in Billund, Denmark. It was founded in 1932 and today the group is one of the world's leading manufacturers of play materials for children, employing approximately 10,000 people globally. The LEGO Group is committed to the development of children's creative and imaginative abilities. LEGO products can be purchased in more than 130 countries.

LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2012 the LEGO Group.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/02/21/21012-sydney-opera-house-revealed/
Staff
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:22 am

Very professional how you simply stated the facts and left out any opinions, like how this is a turd that looks nothing like the intended source. Well done!
buriedbybricks
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby Brainslugged » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:25 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:Very professional how you simply stated the facts and left out any opinions, like how this is a turd that looks nothing like the intended source. Well done!


Bravo, Sir.
Brainslugged
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:41 am

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby michealwillard » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Is that a Krayt Dragon Skeleton?
michealwillard
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Seattle,WA

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Kind of reminds me of Spikeweed from Plants vs. Zombies...

Image
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby renesisx » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:30 pm

And the architecture sets are frustrating too, because the price means you can't even buy them for the bricks.
renesisx
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:40 am

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby cas » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Well, these aren't designed with that in mind. These sets are more souvenirs than actual Lego sets, like something you'd pick up at the Sydney Opera House gift shop (or Space Needle, etc). Build once and done; display it, put it on your desk. There's no real point to buy the Architecture sets for pieces, since they're designed to be more than that. These are casual sets designed to appeal to a broader, non-Lego enthusiast audience. Most people here are not that audience, and thus complain [too much, methinks.]
buriedbybricks wrote:like how this is a turd that looks nothing like the intended source.

I think it captures the source remarkably well considering it's constructed out of a limited selection of parts and its relative size.
cas
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: ID

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby Blacknight » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:11 pm

cas wrote:I think it captures the source remarkably well considering it's constructed out of a limited selection of parts and its relative size.


Now you be trollin'.
Blacknight
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 pm

I'm with cas. At that scale, you'd be hard-pressed to make it any more detailed or accurate. It's a fair representation for being one of the smaller Architecture sets - but I agree it's definitely not one of the best. To make it really spot-on, they probably would've had to scale it up to be on par with the Robie House.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:44 am

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:06 am

And that's the problem, IMHO. They seem to pick a scale first, then decide what building they are going to try to do. I'm of the opinion that if you can't do the building justice at that scale, you should either scale it up or not do it at all.

That said, this actually isn't THAT bad. You can easily tell what it is supposed to be, unlike a couple of the other sets. The Guggenheim was abysmal, IMHO, totally failing to capture the actual shape of the building, and I still can't figure out how they could have approved the John Hancock Building (easily the worst Architecture set to date, unrecognizable, without the basic shape, or the most obvious architectural features).
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby emmtwosix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Nothing is worse than the Burj Khalifa. I still firmly believe that someone at LEGO said "So, what are we supposed to do with all of these extra 1 x 1 light bley cylinders we have laying around?" and the rest was history.
emmtwosix
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:22 am
Location: Center of the continental United States

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:36 pm

emmtwosix wrote:Nothing is worse than the Burj Khalifa. I still firmly believe that someone at LEGO said "So, what are we supposed to do with all of these extra 1 x 1 light bley cylinders we have laying around?" and the rest was history.


I disagree. That model may be a lame build, but it at least looks SOMEWHAT like the building. The John Hancock I find hard to believe ANYBODY would identify from looking at the model.
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby cas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:52 pm

emmtwosix wrote:someone at LEGO

Keep in mind that these sets aren't designed by Lego, but Adam Reed Tucker.

Blacknight wrote:
cas wrote:I think it captures the source remarkably well considering it's constructed out of a limited selection of parts and its relative size.

Now you be trollin'.

Nope. :) I also never said it was a good representation of the opera house, because it's the definition of "meh." It is what it is and given the constraints placed upon it's design, it works well enough, but only to the point I'd have to be a hardcore fan of the structure to consider purchasing it, or any of the sets in this series.
cas
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: ID

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:00 pm

cas wrote: It is what it is and given the constraints placed upon it's design, it works well enough, but only to the point I'd have to be a hardcore fan of the structure to consider purchasing it, or any of the sets in this series.


The only sets I even briefly considered buying were Fallingwater and the Robie House, both because I am a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and because they constructed these on a large enough scale to do a decent job. Ultimately it was the price that decided me against them- I felt those WERE good models.

EDIT: I forgot, I also considered the Space Needle set, just because it seemed like a very clever and effective build, representing the subject matter well with very few pieces. Then I saw the price on THAT, and laughed and never considered it again.
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby Whovian Zorker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
cas wrote: It is what it is and given the constraints placed upon it's design, it works well enough, but only to the point I'd have to be a hardcore fan of the structure to consider purchasing it, or any of the sets in this series.


The only sets I even briefly considered buying were Fallingwater and the Robie House, both because I am a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and because they constructed these on a large enough scale to do a decent job. Ultimately it was the price that decided me against them- I felt those WERE good models.

EDIT: I forgot, I also considered the Space Needle set, just because it seemed like a very clever and effective build, representing the subject matter well with very few pieces. Then I saw the price on THAT, and laughed and never considered it again.


I bought the three Wright buildings...all at Barnes & Noble with really good coupons, plus my 10% membership discount, plus my 5% B&N MasterCard discount. (Otherwise, I probably would have only bought Fallingwater.)

The Guggenheim was...an artistic representation of the building, although not entirely accurate. It was good enough that I eventually bought Fallingwater (which is my favorite of the three). The puzzlebox assembly adds an unexpectedly fun additional aspect to it, although the very top piece isn't as securely placed as it might be.

Finally, I bought the Robie House. Fun build except for the tedium of trying to stack 1x1 plates squarely on top of one another. One design flaw (or perhaps "implementation flaw" is more accurate): Mr. Tucker suggests lighting it up from the inside. Neat idea, but there is an opaque piece right in back of the front row of windows that would have to be replaced to avoid a rather dark area. Maybe the curtains are always drawn in that room? Nice large scale, nice "sunken" garden, nice details. I'm hoping we eventually get Architecture set this big.

I don't consider the small ones detailed enough to be worth buying. The White House looks a bit fragile, and the glass house (Farnsworth) looks a bit odd. I might get Rockefeller Center or the Brandenburg Gate, or maybe even the Opera House...at steep discount. Maybe. I think the Opera House, like the Guggenheim, is a slightly abstractly artistic representation of the structure.
Whovian Zorker
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: 21012 Sydney Opera House Revealed

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:42 am

The Opera House isn't just a building, it's a work of art. There is nothing remarkable about a bunch of white slopes sticking out of a tan block. This captures none of the lyrical flow of the building that combines engineering and award winning artistic beauty.

This is a turd, which shape would only further the real buildings already terrible acoustics.

As for scale...

Image
buriedbybricks
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 am
Location: The Great White North


Return to Licensed Themes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests