Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ten More Years! LEGO Officially Renews Star Wars License

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Ten More Years! LEGO Officially Renews Star Wars License

Postby JediJeff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 am

Here is my theory, for what's it worth: Lucas has publicly stated he is NOT going to make making any more Star Wars movies. Talk about a SW live action TV show is stalled because of 'cost'. CW animated TV series is rumored to end after season 5. Yet there is going to be 10 more years of licensed SW Lego sets and probably other toy lines?!? Can only mean one thing. Lucas is secretly developing new SW movies to be Ep. VII, VIII & IX! His statement no more movies because the fans trash him is just a red herring (remember Blue Harvest?). So we have this to look forward to IF I am correct:

2012 Episode I re-release in 3D
2013 Episode II re-release in 3D
2014 Episode III re-release in 3D
2015 Episode IV re-release in 3D
2016 Episode V re-release in 3D
2017 Episode VI re-release in 3D
2018 Episode VII release in 3D (first new movie!)
2019 Episode VIII release in 3D
2020 Episode IX release in 3D

Pretty much covers a 10 year license of new product! :D
JediJeff

Postby cas » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 am

JediJeff wrote:CW animated TV series is rumored to end after season 5.

Actually, from what I understand, they are past season 5 in the pre- and production stage. If I can find it, there was an interview with Dave Filoni in which he indicated they have some sort of plan that would allow the series to extend to a 10th season.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby RancorRider8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Thank you Lego! I am SO happy about this!
Rancors are neither cuddly, nor cute. But it's one heck of a riding experience!
(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
RancorRider8

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Yeah... I don't see them ending the Clone Wars series just yet. I'd bet money against that. As far as more movies, I somewhat doubt they'll happen, especially one per year, but Lucas loves to change his mind.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Inzane » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:16 pm

JediJeff wrote:Lucas is secretly developing new SW movies to be Ep. VII, VIII & IX!

Too bad he's ~ 20 years too late for that. The best imaginable sequel series has already been written, by a fellow named Timothy Zahn.

If Lucas were to try to make a follow up series now, he'd have to either re-cast all the OT characters or go with entirely new characters since the original actors are too old now. And if he did write something new, he'd probably stick it to his licensed authors again by over-writing their previously established EU-semi-canon material. He's already got a proven track record on doing that.

IMHO, Lucas should move on and prove he's still got the chops to create something totally new and fresh, something completely non-star wars.
Inzane

Postby Brickweiser » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Inzane wrote:IMHO, Lucas should move on and prove he's still got the chops to create something totally new and fresh, something completely non-star wars.

Lucas has done other stuff outside Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Only other big ones were American Graffiti, and perhaps the sequel to that one. But Star Wars and Indiana Jones are his cash cows and for good reason: those movies spark infinite imagination in a world outside of our own tangible experiences. Those franchises are too well-entrenched to move on to something else.
Brickweiser

Postby darthius » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 pm

cas wrote:
JediJeff wrote:CW animated TV series is rumored to end after season 5.

Actually, from what I understand, they are past season 5 in the pre- and production stage. If I can find it, there was an interview with Dave Filoni in which he indicated they have some sort of plan that would allow the series to extend to a 10th season.

As much as I am a fan of Star wars I do sincerely hope that that statement is not true or never happens. 10 seasons of Clone Wars are going to be absolutely boring and will destroy the reputation of Star wars.
darthius

Postby darthius » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Inzane wrote:
JediJeff wrote:Lucas is secretly developing new SW movies to be Ep. VII, VIII & IX!

Too bad he's ~ 20 years too late for that. The best imaginable sequel series has already been written, by a fellow named Timothy Zahn.

If Lucas were to try to make a follow up series now, he'd have to either re-cast all the OT characters or go with entirely new characters since the original actors are too old now. And if he did write something new, he'd probably stick it to his licensed authors again by over-writing their previously established EU-semi-canon material. He's already got a proven track record on doing that.

I fully agree with your statement. And, in addition if Lucas clashed with his licensed authors again it would truly be the end of Star Wars forever because I can't see any authors bothering to write for SW again or any fans bothering to buy the books anymore.

Personally, I think that Lucas should make a SW film which is about 500 years after Episode VI. That way he isn't going to clash with anyone and furthermore is going to provide a guidance for the path of the SW universe in the future writings.
darthius

Postby cas » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:04 pm

darthius wrote:That way he isn't going to clash with anyone and furthermore is going to provide a guidance for the path of the SW universe in the future writings.

You're assuming he cares about clashing. He doesn't. But there won't be anymore new Star Wars films anyway. I believe him when he says he's done making big films (his children may be another story, but it looks like they've inherited their father's post-RotJ sensibilities). The Clone Wars will run their course, the 3D conversions will play out, and the live-action show will continue the brand (I bet it ramps up in the second half of this decade).
cas
Staff Writer

Re: Ten More Years! LEGO Officially Renews Star Wars Licence

Postby darthius » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:32 pm

madLEGOman wrote:i'm gonna need a bigger wall....

You and me both... ;)

darthius

Postby Tyrant » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Hopefully this will mean we will see a few more bits of the EU (maybe some KotoR characters finally) and other things we have none of yet (like the Rancor). And we know remakes will continue, so hopefully they will be ones we haven't got multiple remakes of already or that are needed (like the Cantina, the TIE Interceptor and Bomber, and maybe the B Wing). Who knows, maybe we will see Death Star/Naval Troopers in a set cheaper than $50. I know someone joked about a Jawa and Tusken battle pack, but honestly I would buy a few of those.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby MrCRskater » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am

Tyrant wrote:I know someone joked about a Jawa and Tusken battle pack, but honestly I would buy a few of those.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE. I would be all over a Jawa/Tusken-centric set.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 am

Mofo Jones wrote:Look for the Sand People/Jawa Battlepack by the end of the decade, as the ideas run out...

But...that's a good idea.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby dWhisper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm

I would LOVE me some Jawas. I never bothered with the Sandcrawler, but would love to get the figs from it. Maybe redo them with a better shaped hood...

Then it's only a matter of time until I can act-out the desert procession scene from Spaceballs, and life will be complete...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Mofo Jones » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:19 am

Draykov wrote:
Mofo Jones wrote:Look for the Sand People/Jawa Battlepack by the end of the decade, as the ideas run out...

But...that's a good idea.

I wasn't joking - ok...maybe a little..because it's a good idea but LEGO won't get around to it until the end of the line, with various CW BP sets for the next few years. :roll:

I remember a thread a while back that was asking about future sets and I brainstormed a bunch of ideas for battlepacks. I would love to see more of a variety of BPs per year, even if they had to do limited runs of them to minimize costs.

dWhisper, you still need a big giant LEGO hair pick for the infamous "We ain't found ___! " scene, starring TIm Russ.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby dman7529 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:59 am

dWhisper wrote:I would LOVE me some Jawas. I never bothered with the Sandcrawler, but would love to get the figs from it. Maybe redo them with a better shaped hood...

Then it's only a matter of time until I can act-out the desert procession scene from Spaceballs, and life will be complete...

The Dinks approve of this!

:)
dman7529

Previous

Return to Star Wars