Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Toys R Us] Bricktober Minifig Magnets Appear Online

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

[Toys R Us] Bricktober Minifig Magnets Appear Online

Postby Staff » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:11 am

castle minifig forest minifig
space minifig ninja minifig

It's just about October, and that means Bricktober over at Toys R Us. Once again they have a series of four exclusive minifigure magnets, this go around representing Classic Castle, Forest, Space, and Ninja themes. Promotion runs the month of October, but you can look at them online. You can't get them yet, but they are in stock.

They are each free with $75 purchase, or you can buy them individually for $4.99. If you order online, a $75 order gets free shipping. I get the sinking feeling that these will be glued this time, sucking most of the appeal out of them. But hey! We may get lucky. They're confirmed as glued.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/09/29/toys-r-us-bricktober-minifig-magnets-appear-online/
Staff

Re: [Toys R Us] Bricktober Minifig Magnets Appear Online

Postby SH1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:09 am

no need to wonder/hope. at the TRU page linked above they give clear warning that they are glued:
The LEGO Bricktober Retro MiniFigure Magnet - Knight (2856225) - Gift With Purchase features:
* Authentic Knight MiniFigure on a 2x4 brick magnet
* MiniFigures are not detachable from 2x4 bricks.
* Makes a perfect gift for LEGO MiniFigure fans

and with the glue, goes my desire to participate in Bricktober this year.
SH1

Postby cas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 am

Wait, so what is the point of gluing them? I'm still not sure I understand why Lego decided to glue the magnet sets. Product differentiation? To encourage their use as actual magnets and discourage people from buying them for the minifigs?

"Makes a perfect gift for LEGO MiniFigure fans"

Right, more like "Makes a perfect insult for LEGO MiniFigure fans"

And to think I was considering visiting Toy R Us.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby ufjason » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 am

This really is too bad. I was going to go crazy buying all four but now I don't want one. Are the Torsos glued to the legs as well? I guess leg swaps would make these somewhat desirable.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby wyldjedi » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Glued magnets are fairly easy to detach. I boil a pyrex glass measuring cup of water in the microwave. Make sure it is ultra bubbly so you know it's super hot. You can either dip the entire magnet and figure in the water, or just be carefull and dunk the lower half in. The hot water does not wear away paint or other parts of the minifig. Make sure it sits for at least a few minutes. Pull out the figure using tongs so you don't burn yourself.

Most minifigs are glued using pegs into the back part of the legs. Wiggle the legs from the magnet a little (carefull not to break the leg hinges). I also use a sharp razor blade or exacto knife to wedge in between the legs and the magnet. Twist it just a little. Don't force it or you might cut yourself or damage the minifig. You will probably have to reheat the water and dunk the minifig at least 1 more time to continue softening the glue. Keep wiggling the legs and it should eventually come free. I have done this to at least 30 magnets and at worst you will see a little marring from the glued connection at the back of the legs. The peg holes on the minifig legs should still work ok.

Detaching the legs from the torso is much more difficult and honestly I wouldn't advise it. The torso and legs are tight enough together that the hot water usually can't get in to soften the glue.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who is interested in the magnet minifigs
wyldjedi

Postby Kevblee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Glued!? Count me out. It was great to collect them last October but forget it if the're glued. Who
thought gluing minifigs to stands was great for Minifig fans???? Totally Lame.
www.brickstruct.com
Kevblee

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't get why they glue everything now. I understand that the licensed stuff was glued because of issues with the specifics of figure licensing, but I can't fathom why LEGO went and glued everything. It's got to cost them more, AND most likely reduces sales. Seems like a lose-lose situation for LEGO and the customer...
Mister Ed

Postby b4p » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:00 pm

b4p

Postby Tyrant » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Perhaps a letter writing campaign to LEGO (and maybe TRU, who knows they may listen or at least notice that Bricktober doesn't go over as well) is in order to express our displeasure at the glue spree. I know I haven't bought a single magnet since they started gluing them and the only way I will bother trying to get any of these is if I can remove the torsos. Even then, there will have to be a sale or something to get me in the store in the first place.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby VonCork » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Booo on glue! :|
VonCork

Postby rainstorm26 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Hey, I really think 4.99 x 4 would be money well spent to get some worthless magnets. Or maybe I'll spend $300 on over priced TRU lego to get these wonderful magnets. What a joke.
rainstorm26

Postby doodlebird » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 am

according to the fine print on this page...

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... d=12101940

actually, it's not fine print. it's in BOLD at the end of the product description.

"This item is only available as part of a promotion and is not available for individual sale."

i probably would get them just for collecting purposes at $5 each,
but i don't need to spend a bazillion for a lil freebie like this one.
doodlebird

Return to Finds/Deals