Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Architecture Set 21011 Brandenburg Gate

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

New Architecture Set 21011 Brandenburg Gate

Postby Staff » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Been meaning to post this since I saw it on Brickset sometime ago, but it slipped my mind. I blame Comic Con.

The latest addition the LEGO Architecture series is 21011 Brandenburg Gate. The above photo was taken by a Brickset user who obtained the set at LDC? LEGO Discovery Center? Not entirely sure, but I am sure that it was obtained somewhere in Europe. You can follow the discussion already in progress to find out more. No word yet on US availability or pricing, but will post something as soon as I know.

I welcome non-US landmarks to the Architecture series. I had no idea what the Gate was until I googled it and learned something new. Comparing the set to the original structure, it's not a complete joke like that Burj Khalifa. I just wish it was a slightly larger scale, though, so it can capture a bit more detail. Imagine how much more impressive the set would be if those main columns used the 2x2 round bricks with grille in tan. Anyway, here's a pic (via Wikipedia) of the Brandenburg Gate for comparison.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/08/05/new-architecture-set-21011-brandenburg-gate/
Staff

Re: New Architecture Set 21011 Brandenburg Gate

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Very cool! This looks like one of the better offerings from the Architecture line, and it's great to see more world landmarks. I actually visited Berlin a few years ago and went to the Brandenburg Gate, so this definitely appeals to me.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Blacknight » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:59 pm

[quote=staff] Comparing the set to the original structure, it's not a complete joke like that Burj Khalifa. I just wish it was a slightly larger scale, though, so it can capture a bit more detail.

Can we call it almost a complete joke then? It still suffers from overuse of 1x1 round bricks and no defining detail. I agree that a larger scaled version with the new 2x2 column pieces from the Atlantis set would have been exponentially better. Or even 4x4 columns with a minifig scale chariot and horses.
Blacknight

Postby onions » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Blacknight wrote:[quote=staff] Comparing the set to the original structure, it's not a complete joke like that Burj Khalifa. I just wish it was a slightly larger scale, though, so it can capture a bit more detail.

Can we call it almost a complete joke then? It still suffers from overuse of 1x1 round bricks and no defining detail. I agree that a larger scaled version with the new 2x2 column pieces from the Atlantis set would have been exponentially better. Or even 4x4 columns with a minifig scale chariot and horses.

completely agree with you there. minifig chariot and horses would be mind boggling.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Andi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:49 am

[quote=staff]I had no idea what the Gate was until I googled it and learned something new.

You must be born after 1989.
The Brandenburger Tor is such an iconic and historic landmark in Germany. For many, many years it was not possible to walk through because of the wall which parted Germany into West and East.

The set looks nice. I guess, in that scale it is not possible to give the statue a bit more detail
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Return to Licensed Themes