Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Images of 4184 Black Pearl

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

New Images of 4184 Black Pearl

Postby Staff » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:01 pm

4184 Black Pearl

Thanks to Exoneit.de, a German online toy store, we can finally have a good look at the upcoming 4184 Black Pearl set sans offical watermarks (though they added their own)! Choice of minifigs is a bit odd. I guess they're not planning on doing a Flying Dutchman. If they do, maybe it'll have some of the Black Pearl Crew included.

Click each picture for a larger version or see the whole gallery HERE.

Black Pearl 2 Black Pearl 3 Black Pearl 4 Black Pearl 5 Black Pearl 6 Black Pearl 7

Originally found by Brickset.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/07/17/new-images-of-4184-black-pearl/
Staff

Re: New Images of 4184 Black Pearl

Postby Sarge » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Wow...I was was looking forward to this and am so underwhelmed and disappointed. Not getting it.
Sarge

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Yeah, this does not look nearly as impressive as I had hoped. It looks a bit like the designers just threw together a generic pirate ship, just built in black. I may still get it, as I've never in my life had a pirate ship set. But then again, maybe I won't. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby crazybirdman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:37 pm

yeah, this is THE ship from the movies, and I'm not impressed.
Does this mean there won't be a Flying Dutchman? Or worse, no Pintel and Ragetti mini-figures?
crazybirdman

Postby theone » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 pm

after the impressive queen anne revenge this is a disappointment
theone

Postby Marty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 am

Okay first, let me say to all involved in putting up the pictures, great work! Secondly, I'm not the only one that expected a lot more from Lego on this model. It should have been the crown in the POTC sets but instead it was... to put it simply, an add-on to the series. I was so annoyed I went down a bought the 10210 Imperial flagship, at least it's a decent ship, unlike this dinky, I got it on sale too!
As stated above, the figures are all wrong, where's Captain Barbosa, Jack the monkey, and the crew of the damned?
Also why are there figures from the flying dutchman, it doesn't make sense, when there is no dutchman?
Not that I'm complaining about the figures, they're great addition to the series, just the ship, it's all wrong, and needs to be looked at. Mind you, I'll probably get it, as I want the figures, I was hoping that Lego would have done something special with this set, but it was not to be, oh well...maybe when they remake it, Marty.
Marty

Postby twentythree » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:08 am

I completely agree with all of the previous comments. Disappointingly plain and underwhelming are the best way I can describe my grief. The Pearl is a black ship with black sails but I expected some sort of markings and a proper crew. This is even more upsetting because Lego made us wait to see it for so long (and it still isn't available yet) which greatly built up my anticipation. It was a must have for my collection but now the polybag version will be the only one I'll be pointing my compass to locate. :(
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby majortom » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm afraid I can't add anything new to ths thread, only echo what has been said before.

I had high expectations for this set, looking forward to it's releases since the line was first launched. But alas LEGO has really failed to impress on this one. We get a nice Davey Jones, although this was an inevitable addition, I suppose.
It looks as though LEGO has indeed just "thrown together a generic pirate ship". There is nothing characteristic about the design. The only likeness with its silverscreen counterpart is the colour. They haven't even bothered with tattered sails.

I won't subject you to a rant.

BUT-I would like to say that it's not the first time this year that LEGO has left me underwhelmed by such an anticipated release; I'm thinking Ki-adi Mundi and the new Millennium Falcon to name just a couple. :facepalm:
majortom

Postby Walter Boy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:01 pm

majortom wrote:They haven't even bothered with tattered sails.

Or printed patch work, which would be more accurate due to this being the Black Pearl from Dead Man's Chest.
Heck, why not give us an extra set of tattered sails that we could swap out? That would've been pretty nifty. :cool:

However I'm honestly suprised we didn't get printed sails. I mean, they did it with the Queen Ann right?
Walter Boy

Postby skyline » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:45 pm

While I agree with pretty much what every one said maybe its possible it will change a bit before it's released? I've seen the picture of the box on the internet for awhile now and I could be wrong but I remember seeing some pics of the QAR well before it was released and there were a few(not many)differences from the final product(most notably the sails).

What the heck were they thinking when they choose the minifigs, unless this series flops(which I hope doesnt happen, some of the best pirate sets I've seen)I'm pretty sure we will see a dutchman in the next year or two. I know the lego potc game has been selling like crazy so I think this series has some staying power.
skyline

Postby shoggoth666 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Yea really, whats up with the mini figs? I was really hoping they'd make the Flying Dutchman. Looks like a rush job to make a deadline, did the set designer watch the films I wonder...
shoggoth666

Postby twentythree » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:22 pm

majortom wrote:They haven't even bothered with tattered sails.

I think this a big part of the problem. It should be worn and have figures from "Curse of the Black Pearl".
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:49 am

I dunno, just sorta feels like the Skull's Eye Schooner to what should've been the Black Sea's Barracuda.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 am

Much like the QAR before it, I'll buy this, and then take some pictures, then dismantle it and build a real ship. The entire Pirates line has been an underwhelming disappointment, and this just continues that. They made Brickbeard's ship more bland and painted it black.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Return to Licensed Themes