Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego Doctor Who?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Lego Doctor Who?

Postby mikado » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm

ok i want the daleks
mikado

Postby Marty » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Although I don't really like the figures in these sets, as to me they look a bit chunky, they're not bad, and the idea is there, I only wish Lego had got the license as they could have done a far better job.
The range of figures is quite extensive and they're selling them in single packs with 10 different figures to collect.
Also there is a new range coming every 2-3 months which is interesting. You can also buy army building sets of Daleks, Cybermen & Angels. (Again, why couldn't Lego do this?)

I have already ordered 2 of the sets as I wanted to see how they compare with the Lego sets in general, one being the Tardis and the other being a small Dalek set, time will tell if these are as good as Lego.
I'm just annoyed that Lego takes too long to act sometimes and by the time they do, the hype is gone.
The new series of Doctor who should have been a wakeup call of them to look into, but instead they missed the boat, here's a link to some examples of sets that may just change they're minds and look at doing something like this, Marty

http://www.activedad.co.uk/2011/01/26/d ... on-photos/
Marty

Postby JamesBenjamin » Sun May 01, 2011 6:15 am

I don't think Lego would want the license because its really only sellable in the UK.

Yes, I realize that Doctor Who is aired in other countries (and is getting more popular in the USA) but its not a HUGE property like their others (Pirates, Toy Story, STAR WARS) and its likely just not worth the investment.

Though, I'd love for them to get it...
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby Flynn » Sun May 01, 2011 2:06 pm

JamesBenjamin wrote:Yes, I realize that Doctor Who is aired in other countries (and is getting more popular in the USA) but its not a HUGE property like their others (Pirates, Toy Story, STAR WARS) and its likely just not worth the investment.

As of now, that's certainly true, but I think if you give it just a little more time, it'll get to that level. I'm starting to see the latest season get a lot more attention here in the US (More kids at my high school are watching it, I saw an article in the local paper about it, advertisements are everywhere, etc.), so in a few months to a year, it might be at the level of some of LEGO's other licensed themes.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Boyfromvalley » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:16 pm

This is the Dalek Progenitor Room set from the new Doctor Who Character Building. It is £9.99, 118 pieces and only comes with the Supreme Dalek Figure; all the other figures are sold separately. The bricks surprisingly are comparable with Lego bricks and feature types that I doubt Lego has made itself.

This isn't a bad set, my only complaint is the box is somewhat misleading by having the Doctor featured on it when the figure itself isn't included, another thing I dislike is the fact you have stickers to apply.

Dalek Progenitor Room Set 01 by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

Dalek Progenitor Room Set 03 by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr
Boyfromvalley

Postby Marty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:01 am

In news just in, forbidden planet is taking orders for the 11 minifig Doctors, I for one think this is an excellent set, as I've been so looking forward to getting Tom Baker as doctor who.
Also in November they are releasing the Tardis Console set, along with Riversong, the set has change design somewhat but it's still heaps better than what I expected, will post pictures when I get it, Marty
Marty

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:31 am

"Building figures" - Make no mistake, these aren't minifigures, and based on the EE pictures, they look like MB junk. The pictures of the Daleks above don't look bad, but it's still not LEGO.

And, like many others, I'll make the case that it never will be. No matter how much love it gets, the show is still a niche product in world markets, and even in the UK, it's not in the target demographic for LEGO sets. The exact same logic applies to things like HALO (to old), World of Warcraft (to adult), and whatever other trends pop up for people to use.

More than that, Doctor Who wouldn't have a good blend of products to offer, and the understanding of the series isn't there for kids. Most would only know about the newer series, even in the UK, since everyone in the target demographic was born after the show left the air before it's revival. And in that, you have only a handful of ships and sets that could make their place, and a whole ton of characters.

LEGO is already affected too much with actionfigureitis, and you can see that suffering in the Star Wars line, where glorified battle packs range up to the $120 range now. Who wouldn't even have all the flashy ships to fall back on in a line. It'd have the Tardis and all the playsets it would spawn and... I don't know, maybe a Dalek ship? Does anyone ever remember what other ships look like?
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Boyfromvalley » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Boyfromvalley

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Sorry if this should be posted in the review Thread but since it isn't officially Lego I'm not sure it should.

Doctor Who Character Building Set “The Time of Angels”.

Time of Angels by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

The set here is one of three Doctor Who Character Building sets released; the other two being the Tardis and Progenitor Room. Each are sold at £9.99 or sold less on Amazon. Now with the release of the Dalek Production Factory and the Cyberman Conversion Station it is now one of five sets.

This particular one is based on the Season 5 two part story “Time of Angels” and “Flesh and Stone”. It sees the return of the Weeping Angel, the setting is set on a planet called Alfava Metraxis where the Doctor accompanied by Amy Pond, River Song and some Clergy Soldiers hunt for an escaped Weeping Angel among the stone ruins of the planet. Hence the reason for this sets ruin theme.

The set comes with only one minifigure; a Weeping Angel. It is available also as one of the ten separately sold minifigure; each £1.99. And also as an army builder pack sold at £9.99 and composing of five figures.

Weeping Angel by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

Weeping Angel Back by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

The Angel is nicely designed and has some fine printing done on its head and chest and is made up of four parts; these being its legs, head, torso and arms, and wings.

Pieces by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

Although the legs will connect with Lego studs none of the minifigure parts are compatible with any Lego figure, though the wings will fit on a Skeleton figure.

Lego minifigure heads will however fit on to its body

Weeping Angel Aura by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

As for the stone ruins, not to bad considering though its really just a set piece, but above all it features some interesting rock terrain bricks which as I mentioned above are compatible with Lego. So should you decide to build something with a rocky terrain or simply a Castle Moc these along with the Angel figures would be a nice addition to whatever you make.

Stone Bricks 1a by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

Stone Brick 2a by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

Finally the last thing included is a brick built command console with a monitor. The monitor is really a sticker of a Weeping Angel you place on a slope brick, interestingly you get two of these stickers in this set should the first one be ruined

Control Console by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

Final Thoughts
I'll be honest, this set may not be the best of the lot, it lacks any excitement or playability. But is neat for setting up photo shot scenes involving any minifigure you wish to use as I've done. And if really all you wish to acquire is the minifigure itself you'll have an easier time purchasing it separate or obtaining five for the price of this.

7/10
Boyfromvalley

Postby Iare Tosevite » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:36 pm

Interesting. So much blob of parts, but fig is pretty cool.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 am

dWhisper wrote:"I don't know, maybe a Dalek ship? Does anyone ever remember what other ships look like?

Something like this...?

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co. ... eship-set/
Boyfromvalley

Postby Iare Tosevite » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:15 am

HMM

Just noticed that legs also has "neck rod". It means you could fit head on legs.

Leggy head? lol
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Flynn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 pm

If anyone's interested, I wrote a post on my blog discussing the feasibility of a Doctor Who line.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes