Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The Hybridfighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing The Hybridfighter Contest

Postby Solo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:30 pm

re: MrAnderson
1) Correct sir. Two existing ships mashed together to make a hybrid. Imagine, if you will, a mad mechanic in a junkyard without a single functioning ship... but workable parts from two, and as much scrap as needed to merge them into something that flies. That's this contest. We thought about calling them Frankenfighters but we didn't want to wait until October to host the contest.
2) "Transition" type models will indeed be automatically disqualified. We ran a similar contest like that before (X-Wing Evolution) and we may do something like it again... but that's not this contest.

re: Boyfromvalley
No. No no no. Please read all the rules, that was explicitly addressed. If nothing else see the one kyphur quoted.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:24 am

Solo wrote:re: Boyfromvalley
No. No no no. Please read all the rules, that was explicitly addressed. If nothing else see the one kyphur quoted.

Not that I'm arguing or being awkward but I don't think that's what I asked. I understand that you cannot simply combine two sets together in that way, but I just wanted to be sure in terms of designing the cockpit. Because I've seen on Wookieepedia other examples of Uglies where for most the cockpit from one ship is still intact.

I wanted to know if the original cockpit with a few alterations was allowed to be included but would have to brick built our selves, or do we have to completely design a new one?

Hope this makes clear what I was enquiring.
Boyfromvalley

Postby Blackninjatom » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:30 am

As someone who won't be able to enter this contest and is merely a free vote, XD I would be much more inclined to vote for a model if everything was scratch built. Whether or not what you are asking is allowed I leave to the staff, but my way of thinking is why limit yourself to an official set?
Blackninjatom

Postby LegoHead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Does the end result have to resemble an existing starfighter? Or can it be its own (new) fighter-like vehicle?
LegoHead

Postby 77legokid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Could I mash a space vehicle with a land transport, such as an AT-AT or AT-ST?
77legokid

Postby Solo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Boyfromvalley wrote:I wanted to know if the original cockpit with a few alterations was allowed to be included but would have to brick built our selves, or do we have to completely design a new one?

Hope this makes clear what I was enquiring.
OK, your first question sounded like you were talking about using official Lego sets in your model, which I will reiterate for every one is not allowed. I think I get what you're asking now. You can use as much or as little of your source ships as you want, as long as the end result is clearly two different ones combined. You can use a pure cockpit/fuselage of a Y-wing as long as the back end of your model came from something other than a Y-wing. You're on the right track looking to the Wookieepedia examples for guidance.

LegoHead wrote:Does the end result have to resemble an existing starfighter? Or can it be its own (new) fighter-like vehicle?
You are making your own new starfighter that resembles two existing vehicles.

77legokid wrote:Could I mash a space vehicle with a land transport, such as an AT-AT or AT-ST?
I answered that one yesterday.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Moodswim » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Okay, here's a (I hope) less-than-stupid question: say, I'm combining a ship with an ETA Jedi Starfighter. Does the fighter have to be one of the official set colors (yellow, dark red, dark blue) or can it be, say, black? Perhaps, my lonely tinkerer found remains of a lime green JSF?
Moodswim

Postby Solo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 am

Alternate color schemes are fine.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Pepper » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:55 am

Does the pilot have to be a pilot of one of the ships, or can it be custom? Also, say that I want to use the dark blue 2x4 tiles from the Droid Tri-Fighter, but I applied the stickers already, can I use a piece with the official sticker applied?
Pepper

Postby Joedward » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 am

The rules say no modded parts or stickers, so as long as you don't cut the stickers, and they're as they were when you took them off the sticker sheet, then it should be fine.
And now I'm no mod, so couldn't answer this for definite, but as the new ship you're making won't have one definitive affiliation, then as long as your minifig doesn't use any cut, custom or third party parts then it shouldn't really matter what the look like.
Last edited by Joedward on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Joedward » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:52 am

Okay, sorry for the double post, can't edit. In the first line I meant modded, not added with regards to stickers, I don't know why my phone made that change.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Knobby Plastic » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:57 pm

The Mechanic's Mistake

It is a hybrid between half of a Cloud Car and a TIE Defender.
Believe it or not a minifigure can be (and is) placed in the cockpit. :)

See full set on Flickr
Last edited by Knobby Plastic on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
View my photostream on flickr
__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic
Knobby Plastic

Postby Solo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Knobby Plastic: nice entry, but you need to remove the border you added to your photos.

Pepper: custom pilots are fine so long as there are no unofficial or modified parts. I'm not sure I follow the second question... stickered parts are fine (again, as long as they are unmodified).
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:42 am

OK, here's a slightly different question than has been asked before.

I know that you can't use more than two ships, but what if you used PARTS from only two TYPES of ships, but would obviously require parts from more than one copy to pull it off. For example what if you made a mash-up of a Droid Tri-fighter and a Twin-Pod Cloud Car that contained obvious parts of three Pods, meaning it would have required parts from two Twin-Pod Cloud Cars to construct? Is that still kosher, or is the idea strictly that you start out with physically TWO SHIPS, and make one out of nothing more than the parts of those two?
Mister Ed

Postby Knobby Plastic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 am

OK I finally figured it out! My entry is fixed now.
View my photostream on flickr
__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic
Knobby Plastic

Postby kyphur » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:54 am

onions wrote:Clarifications from page 1: All Star Wars vehicles that have been made by Lego (walkers, speeders, starships, etc - no playsets), from any faction (Republic, CIS, Rebels, Empire, etc - mix and match at will), are allowed as inspiration for your mashup (pick only two though) - but the end result must be a starfighter.

Sorry but I need to ask for a further clarification:

Does the LEGO Model that serves as source inspiration have to have been made in MiniFig Scale. For example if it was only made as UCS or MINI can we still use it as inspiration as long as our entry IS MINIFIG SCALE.

Please clarify "All Star Wars vehicles that have been made by Lego". Is this limited to only the Primary Model associated with a set number or would Official Alternate Models published by LEGO in their magazine(s) count. For example the published alternates for the T-6 Jedi Shuttle and current General Grevious' Starfighter.
kyphur

Postby SuperDave » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:31 am

Or the Outrider or the mini Snowspeeder?
SuperDave

Postby kyphur » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:35 am

The outrider is a good example of my question but the MINI Snowspeeder is irrelevant as there are 4 official MiniFig scale versions.
kyphur

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 am

Mister Ed: Two ships and as much scrap as needed to merge them into something that flies.

kyphur: Hasn't every Mini and UCS vehicle had a minifig scale counterpart? I don't see the point of this question, but as long as it's an official set in any scale you can recreate it at minifig scale and use it in your entry. Alt models are not included however as they are not official sets.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:49 am

Solo wrote:Mister Ed: Two ships and as much scrap as needed to merge them into something that flies.

Gotcha'. There goes my Tri-Pod Droid Fighter. ;)
Mister Ed

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds