Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW] Star Tours Starspeeder 3000

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SW] Star Tours Starspeeder 3000

Postby HJR » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:39 am

Dear all,

I would like to present you my version of the Starspeeder 3000 from the Star Tours ride at the Disney parks. I made this vehicl for the Lowlug Star wars MOC competition.

Star Tours is a ride at virtually all Disneyland parks and is based on Star Wars, where you make a flight through the universe in a flight simulator similar to the ones' professional pilots use.

A prototype from Lucasarts:

When you walk towards the ride you pass a lifesize model of a Starspeeder 3000, with on it's side quite some damage.

I based my MOC on this version:

Naturally the side doors open. The speeder has room for 16 travellers:

When you take a good look, you can see the driver of the vehicle, RX-24 (aka Rex):

What a lot of people do not know, however, is that the vehicle is actually piloted by someone else! Let's take a look...
It's George Lucas himself!

I also made the background setting of the model in the parks:
In the front you can see all the figures included in this MOC: George Lucas, two Star Tours employees, DL-X2 (security), RX-24 ('pilot'), G2-9T (repair droid), C-3PO (coordinator) and R2-D2 (navigation)

I made the sticker of the control panel myself. You can see a blueprint of the Starspeeder 3000:

A few more images of the background setting:

Well, everyone is ready to receive new passengers for the next flight!
From left to right: Vilmarh Grahrk (aka 'Villie'), Astraal Vao, Wall-E, EVE, Chewbacca (what a Wookie!), Boba Fett (Just escaped from the Sarlacc pit and now looking for a new ride) and a skieer who seems to be on his way to Hoth :wink:

More / all photo's are to be found here
Feedback is always welcome!
HJR

Re: [SW] Star Tours Starspeeder 3000

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:43 pm

THIS IS GORGEOUS!!! I love all of the different building techniques you used, all to great effect. Having attempted such a model a couple times myself, I can say that the nose/cockpit section is especially impressive. This seems the most difficult part to do accurately and have it fit up with the rest of the body, and you did a great job of achieving the recessed windscreen and angle while still getting it to match up fairly well with the body. Your hinge idea is a good one, I think. Of the few Starspeeder 3000 MOC's I've come across, this lands closest in terms of both A) accuracy and B) something that LEGO could/would actually produce. Also, props on a sweet diorama to display it in.

Do you have instructions for this? In all seriousness, I would love to buy them from you if you had such a thing. I would LOVE to recreate this for my own display!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby vynsane » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Impressive... Most impressive...

Pretty cool to see the 'official' version in LEGO form after Fat Tony's "bounty hunter-ized" version from the Bounty Hunter MOC Madness contest!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby timwiede » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:30 pm

O...M...G...
You know it's a good MOC when it conjures up all sorts of memories. Awesome job, HJR. I love how you didn't just stop with the starspeeder, but did the whole background scene as well. And the robots are perfect!
timwiede

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:44 pm

I agree with timwiede, all the great memories start flowing back. The best part is how much detail you've put into it, it's very lovingly done. No better way to describe it. When compared with the actual ride vehicle and the prototypes, your MOC version pretty much matches 100 %. The little touch of the shutter that covers the screen before the ride begins...genius. I think I like the docking bay just as much as the actual vehicle. You even have Lucas himself and all the Star Tours staffers! Amazing decals as well, this is a very professional piece of work. I have to say that I would buy this if it was released as an official set! And, with Star Tours 2 just around the corner, I wonder what the new vehicle will look like - and look forward to a similarly brilliant MOC of it from you.
Jedd the Jedi

Re: [SW] Star Tours Starspeeder 3000 - now on Cuusoo

Postby HJR » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:07 am

Hello all,

I'd like to inform you all let everyone know that I have added this MOC to the LEGO Cuusoo website

Feel free to visit the site, and of course, to vote :wink:

In order to keep interest going, I've set myself the following goal if I get enough supporters for this project:

1000 supporters: I will make the Air Alderaan Starspeeder (red / white)
2000 supporters: I will make the Dantooine Express Starspeeder (red / white)
4000 supporters: I will make the Bespin Direct Starspeeder (orange / white)
6000 supporters: I will make the Star Tours Starspeeder (dark red / white)
8000 supporters: I will make the Tatooine Transit Starspeeder (blue / white)
10000 supporters: I will make the Naboo Spacelines Starspeeder (yellow / red)

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
HJR

Postby DocBlock » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 am

I love this!

Great job. Did you make the Star Tours decal and laser scorch marks yourself?
DocBlock

Postby HJR » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:52 am

Great job. Did you make the Star Tours decal and laser scorch marks yourself?

Thanks for the compliments. Some of the stickers I made myself, others come from existing LEGO sets. The laser scorch marks actually come from a sticker sheet

But all the other stickers are home-made indeed :-)
HJR

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase