Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

My account won't stay logged in

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

My account won't stay logged in

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:18 am

Am I doing something wrong? I visit a number of sites regularly, and always use the "automatically log-in" option so I don't have to keep entering a password. However for some reason, only on THIS site, that doesn't work reliably. More than half the time, when I come here, I have to log-in again, and once I even had it log me out in the middle of a session while I was typing out a post.
Mister Ed

Re: My account won't stay logged in

Postby Joedward » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:20 am

Might have something to do with the browser you're using, and the settings you have on it.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:31 am

I'm using Safari. What settings might cause such a problem? I don't have it anywhere else, so I'm wondering what I can do to fix the problem here, if anything.
Mister Ed

Postby Swoosh Factor » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:12 pm

Try deleting any cookies related to fbtb.net and log in again. I had the same problem on the old forums and deleting the cookies fixed it.
Swoosh Factor

Postby Draykov » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 pm

You might also try using the "delete all board cookies" link at the bottom of your screen while in the Forums area on FBTB as well.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Mister Ed » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:15 am

Tried deleting cookies, it seemed to work, but by the next day, it was at it again, even to the point of losing my logged in status in the middle of the session, so when I tried to go "back" to my unread posts list, it told me I would have to log in to do so. I guess I'll just keep logging in over and over, but it is baffling that this is the only site this happens on.
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:27 am

do you have any javascript blocking software enabled? adblock? are you running the latest version of safari (5.0.2)?
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mister Ed » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:37 am

Yeah, it is 5.0.2. I am not aware of any blocking software. I didn't put any on, but I am not the first owner of this laptop. Didn't see any in the program list, though, at least not that I recognized.
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:10 am

I would check your preferences > security settings and see that accept cookies is set to "Always" or Only from sites I visit.
then, click on the show cookies button and type in fbtb in the search. you should see a series of cookies for .fbtb.net.
in the same preferences window, make sure Enable Java and Enable Javascript are turned on.
make sure "private browsing" is not enabled.
you can try a repair disk permissions, then reboot your computer.
you can also try resetting safari with all the options checked. you'll lose cookie information for other sites if you do this. then reboot your computer.

try those steps above.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:51 am

How do you "repair disk permissions"? All those other settings were already as you suggested.
Mister Ed

Postby Zeus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:46 am

BTW... I have the same issues on this forum. I'm using IE 8. I also frequent the toysnbricks forum and it seems they use the same forum software. I don't have the problem there (or other sites).

Can't figure it out. It's not that annoying though so I just let it go. :S
Zeus

Postby onions » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:05 am

repairing disk permissions is built into the app disk utility. every mac comes with it. usually found in applications > utilities > disk utility.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:10 am

Ah. I've got a PC. Any idea where it would be on that?
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:19 pm

oh duh safari is cross platform. i know of no such thing for the pc.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby onions » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:20 pm

onions
Damp Noodle

Postby The Brain » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:37 pm

This may just seem unnecessary advice, but why not switch to another browser like Firefox? I know Safari works on PCs but I see no reason to use the Mac-based browser when there are plenty of other highly-recommended browsers for us PC users.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:37 am

Well, following that Google link wasn't very encouraging, as it made it sound like the problem was one that would have to be addressed by the people running the board, not anything I could do, and I don't want to be that big of a bother.

As for switching to another browser, I COULD do that, but the aforementioned links showed the problem happening on Firefox, too, so there is no guarantee that would even have an effect. Plus I've got all my bookmarks and stuff on Safari already, and I'm lazy (and have a slow internet connection) so a round of downloading and setting up new browsers to see if they fix the problem (which is intermittent, and therefore would take a while to be sure was fixed) seems like too much work right now. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:08 am

latest version of firefox came out yesterday i think.

i'll crawl through those results on google to see if there's anything i can see. but the fact that it's not a widespread problem and only happening on two out of three browsers you teste leads me to believe that there is something specific to your setup that is preventing cookies from being recorded. it might be your history settings. if you have your history set to expire after 1 day that would prevent cookies from being remembered the next day. i know that happens with firefox, probably for safari too.
onions
Damp Noodle

Return to Suggestions