Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW] Marshal Banana's X-Wing

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

[SW] Marshal Banana's X-Wing

Postby Draykov » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Breaking protocol a little bit here since this isn't my MOC, but since Marshall Banana doesn't seem to frequent these parts, I had to post this on the builder's behalf...this one is too good to let slip away into the Internet ether (click image for the full set):

Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: [SW] Marshal Banana's X-Wing

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:18 pm

That cockpit is GORGEOUS! Not to mention the engine assemblies and laser cannons, which are virtually flawless. This is amazing!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 pm

:facepalm: If anything, the engine assemblies and the laser cannons are the most flawed section of this MOC. And I'm sure that at least errbt would agree with me.
fallenangel327

Postby ~Legolot~ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:53 am

Since I'm a total Star Wars geek and a freak for detail, R2-D2 is actually supposed to be facing backwards and not over-looking Luke. But I love The Ship! The cockpit is spot-on, but the rectanglular part near the tip of the laser cannons should be a bit bigger.
~Legolot~

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:28 am

fallenangel327 wrote::facepalm: If anything, the engine assemblies and the laser cannons are the most flawed section of this MOC. And I'm sure that at least errbt would agree with me.

If you're going to criticize, make it constructive. I happen to think the cannons and engines look good. They more closely represent the ship from the films than the official LEGO sets in minifig scale have.

~Legolot~ wrote:Since I'm a total Star Wars geek and a freak for detail, R2-D2 is actually supposed to be facing backwards and not over-looking Luke.

That head rotates 360 degrees. ;)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby unmovedmover » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:48 am

It's a brilliant looking ship, but I don't understand the desire alot of people seem to have to hide studs under flat plates. The stud look is one of the most endearing aspects of licensed legos to me.
unmovedmover

Postby ~Legolot~ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:20 am

Draykov wrote:That head rotates 360 degrees. ;)
Okay thanks!
~Legolot~

Postby Brickdoctor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 pm

Since I too am a Star Wars geek, I noticed that you might want to change the frontpage post, since the wing markings identify this as Red Two. ;)
-Brickdoctor
My Flickr
Brickdoctor

Postby HoboBob1138 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:53 pm

If we can get another confirmation on it being Red Two, I'll change it. Never mind I see it now.
No matter the distance, no matter how far
HoboBob1138

Postby fallenangel327 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:48 pm

I see Wedge's helmet in the cockpit and two stripes on each of the wings, so we can say with some confidence that it's Red 2. However, the astromech droid is blue and the stripe on the nose is broken so you can't be too sure. (The Red 2 X-wing has the unbroken red stripe on the nose seen on the "stock" X-wings in the hangar, whereas on some other X-wings, such as Luke's Red 5, the stripe is broken. In addition, the astromech droid seen on the Red 2 X-wing at the Battle of Yavin had red markings.)
On top of that the Red 2 X-wing's engines are larger in proportion to the rest of the ship compared to the Red 5 whereas the engines on this one are actually smaller.
Also note that the Red 2 markings should only be present on the outer surface of the wings. However the yellowing around the squadron markings are there so maybe...
The engines lack the red circles sported on the engines of the Red 2 studio model so we can't be too sure.
The bottom "lip" on the nose is missing or not very prominent, whereas on the Red 2 it's a little more prominent than on the other X-wings. However, the Red 2 X-wing sports red triangles near the proton torpedo launch tubes, and there are red tiles at the corresponding location on this model.

It is true that the droid's head should face backwards, but not the droid itself. Remember that in the Yavin 4 hangar scene when R2 was placed into Luke's fighter (as well as after the Death Star trench run when he was being removed) he was positioned so that the "front" side of his body faced the same direction as the fighter. This was also true at the end of the Battle of Hoth. And as I mentioned above, the droid shouldn't be R2-D2.

It is true that the engines and the laser cannons are more accurate than those on the 4502 X-wing, but the main issue is both are much too small. Judging from this picture I think the engines and the laser cannons should be considerably larger - in fact, 4x4 cylinders would represent the size of the engines more accurately, and 2x2 round bricks the laser cannons (at the point at which they attach to the wings). The engines are also a bit too short ( I remember that they should extend right up to the droid socket, just behind R2) so using 4x4 cylinders would generally enlarge the engines so that they are to proper scale.
The tip of the nose should be a dark grey. I think all of the parts he used for the exterior exist in dark grey so fixing that shouldn't be too hard.
Am I the only one here who thinks the canopy structure is a bit too big?

The SNOT wings and the canopy remind me of roguebantha's X-wing...
fallenangel327

Return to Star Wars