Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:11 am

Skafte wrote:Has anyone tried to motorize the wings?

I cobbled together a proof-of-concept using two PF XL motors with the infrared remote control. I simply stuck long enough axles in the back where the handles go. The technic beam is there to hold the motors in place, ie. give them something to turn against.

The wings in action
(I know it looks terrible. I really need to get some decent lighting arrangement worked out.)

I think there is enough room inside the shuttle to fit the battery box and at least one of the smaller M motors, possibly two. I'm not sure how the M motor will cope with the wings though.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby MisterFubar » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:15 am

I would think the M motor would be more than capable with the right gearing. Might be a little slow though...

I'll have to play around with it when I get my shuttle.
MisterFubar

Postby Skafte » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Yes, yes, please give it a shot and share your experiences! I have also tried the external motor thing, but with M motors - it works well.
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby MisterFubar » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Skafte wrote:Yes, yes, please give it a shot and share your experiences! I have also tried the external motor thing, but with M motors - it works well.

After I got the entire shuttle assembled I realized it would probably have been a lot easier to integrate some motors as I went, and not tried to do it after the fact. :facepalm:

Once I recover from building it I'll tear it back down and work on motorizing it. I might need to come up with another clutch though, I think I've only got one.

Overall it was a fun build, even building the wings wasn't as repetitive as I thought it was going to be.
MisterFubar

Postby MisterFubar » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Gingerbeard Man wrote:I cobbled together a proof-of-concept using two PF XL motors with the infrared remote control. I simply stuck long enough axles in the back where the handles go. The technic beam is there to hold the motors in place, ie. give them something to turn against.

I tried it externally with 2 of the M Motors and it was much too fast going down, and they barely had the power going back up so without gearing them down I don't think they would work well

I only have one XL motor and it handles the direct drive much better.

I hate that the slop in the geartrain makes the wings hard to position closed properly... it's too easy to turn them just a little too far to where gravity will take over and slap them against the center wing.

Video of the wings going down with 2 of the smaller motors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRqAfGyTyE
MisterFubar

Postby onions » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:34 pm

i have a feeling i'm going to hate this set. the fact that you have to manually turn each wing is a HUGE turn off.

"here i am swooshing around the UCS Lambda-class Shuttle. fwooooosh.... coming in for a landing, oops gotta bring the wings up. one sec. -turn turn turn twist turn turn turn twist twist turn carpal tunnel turn twist- okay now to do the other wing - turn turn turn twist turn turn- time for a break.

-turn turn turn twist ....... twist......- screw this i'm playing mario kart."

yeah.

that's the best lego could do? they couldn't do one gear to handle both wings? seriously?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:22 am

onions wrote:that's the best lego could do? they couldn't do one gear to handle both wings? seriously?

Well, to be fair, being a UCS set it is meant more for impressive display and accuracy in terms of appearance. That said, though, I agree with you. On such a large model, there is PLENTY of room to create a proper gear train that would manipulate the wings simultaneously, so it's a shame that TLG couldn't step it up on that one. Maybe it'll be fairly easy to mod a better technic system?
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Skafte » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:17 am

Also, if you stay away for the Mario Kart for another 15 seconds and want to put the thing down, you get "oh, where is the landing gear? Back at the other table? Swoosh back there, pick it up, try to attatch it, oh I can't see the holes, need to tip the beast on its side (looks really like a proper landing now), dang, the port cannon fell off, well there you go, the landing gear is on, I can put it down."

I love it. To me it's a display piece and the cranks are just devices for different display modes, not a play feature. I'd like motorized wings - as a moving display piece, but I'm sceptical it is possible to make it look good.

I got rid of some additional studs:

Brick me!
Skafte

Postby charmeleon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 am

Hi,
Have ordered the UCS shuttle and am awaiting delivery.... but unfortunately won't have a chance to build it for a little while as am about to move house.

Wondering if anyone can help me with measurement of height.... the Lego website and anywhere else I have found to date measures the height when it is displayed on the stand with wings down. What I am after, is what the height is without the stand when the wings are folded up and it is resting on its landing gear.

TIA for any help!
charmeleon

Postby MisterFubar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:01 am

charmeleon wrote:What I am after, is what the height is without the stand when the wings are folded up and it is resting on its landing gear.

TIA for any help!

18 7/8" off the stand, on the landing gear.
MisterFubar

Postby SDIronClaw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:21 pm

I wonder if there is a way to use just one motor?
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Previous

Return to Star Wars