Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ultimate Collector Series 10215 Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Ultimate Collector Series 10215 Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter

Postby Staff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:58 am

Official press release from LEGO:

Obi-Wan’s Jedi Starfighter

Ages 14+. 676 pieces.
US $99.99
CA $129.99
UK £94.99
DE €99.99

Blast off into The Clone Wars with Obi-Wan’s collector-series Jedi starfighter!

Now, you can build the ultimate LEGO version of Jedi general Obi-Wan Kenobi’s Delta-7 Aethersprite-class Jedi starfighter! Larger and more detailed than any previous Jedi starfighter model, this limited-edition collector vehicle is equipped with twin laser cannons, a full cockpit interior and a wing-mounted R4-P17 astromech droid dome that rotates. With a buildable display stand and plaque, it’s just the thing to pursue bounty hunter Jango Fett across the galaxy or battle swarms of Separatist fighters in space! Measures 9 in (23 cm) high on stand, 18" (47 cm) long and 9" (22 cm) wide when built.

• Ultimate Collector’s Series Obi-Wan’s Jedi Starfighter!

• Equipped with twin laser cannons!

• Features fully detailed cockpit interior!

• The dome of Obi-Wan’s wing mounted R4-P17 astromech droid rotates!

• Includes display stand, plaque and label sheet!

• Model can be detached from display stand!

• Measures 9 in (23 cm) high on stand, 18" (47 cm) long and 9" (22 cm) wide when built!

My initial impressions?

I can't stop staring at the R4 unit's head. It seems so grossly disproportionate to the rest of the ship. Add the fact that the two previous UCS models that featured astromechs (7191 X-wing Fighter and 10134 Y-wing Attack Starfighter) had the minifig versions included, the R4's head is just gigantorous.

Design-wise, it's just a giant wedge. There doesn't seem to be an ounce of effort on the designer's part about making a Jedi Starfighter have any ounce of wow-factor. Now, let me be clear in that when I say "designer" I am talking about the original designer that created the ship for the film. That guy, he was the one we can thank for creating such a boring ship. It's like it was designed after a cursor:

Cursor

Just chop off the tail and you have Cursor: The Original Delta-7.

All kidding aside, it just looks and feels uninspired. Given that, I can admit LEGO did a great job in recreating the ship at a larger scale, but the flat design doesn't lend itself to any amount of great detailing, which all the previous UCS ships had. A for execution, F for design.

And where's the hyperdrive ring?

Historically, the UCS sets were a real value for the money, giving the consumer more than their dollars' worth with the amount of parts you would get in any given set. The last few years' worth of UCS sets have been a strain on the wallet but for 10215, they're asking for Benjamin in exchange for 676 pieces. While it's good to see a sub-$100 UCS set I find that it's a really hard deal to swallow. I can accept that prices on LEGO sets just aren't what they used to be: licensing costs go up, manufacturing costs go up, inflation, world economy, etc, and I think many of us can accept it. When it's justified. Like when a set contains new elements like a tauntaun, or minifigures with uniquely molded elements. But try as I might, I can't see anything in this set that would justify the outrageous price. Except for, maybe, that oversized humongosaurus of an R4 head that looks like a printed element. But still, even that can't cost that much, can it?

The press release states "limited-edition" so it might be possible that this is an exclusive to some outlet, and that might explain the higher cost.

Maybe I'm just biased since I grew up with the Original Trilogy. But personal bias aside, the set fails to get a recommendation from me based on economics alone. Many people who couldn't afford a $200 or $300 dollar UCS set may be excited at the prospect of this one, but is it really worth it?

That's all I can think of. It's late and I still need to pack.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/07/21/ultimate-collector-series-10215-obi-wans-jedi-starfighter/
Staff

Re: Ultimate Collector Series 10215 Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfight

Postby Draykov » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:04 pm

I was really starting to get skeptical about whether or not they'd ever get around to doing a UCS Jedi Starfighter. Disproportionate or not, I love the giant astromech dome. Wonder if we'll see non-printed versions of that part in other sets down the road.

P.S. Is it just me, or was the intent to set that video private?
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:39 pm

I like it, but it does seem a bit pricey. I'm sure one will end up on my shelf when they are released anyway.

I think a 3x3 dome would have been a better choice for the scale of the astromechs head.
MisterFubar

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:58 pm

MisterFubar wrote:I think a 3x3 dome would have been a better choice

Agreed. I was about to say the same.

I guess they had their mind set on that rotating "feature" and turntables only exist as 2x2 or 4x4.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby harrison » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:09 pm

not true i got my 3x3 dome to rotate its just not printed :-(

the video apparently goes live at 3pm EST
harrison

Postby vynsane » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Is the R4 dome REALLY that disproportionate?

No, not really...
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby THX 1138 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:41 pm

The dome doesn't look like it's all that big, but it should be a bit smaller. The price, however, is awful. You'd think for $100 they could at least put tiles on the wings to cover up the studs...
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby UOldPirate » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:48 pm

I was hoping this thing would come with a hyper-drive ring, but that would have probably doubled the price. To be honest though, the price doesn't seem that bad to me. Compared to the Special Edition Naboo Fighter which was $40 for 187 pieces, $100 for 676 isn't terrible. Plus, it looks to be a pretty neat build with the S.N.O.T. nose section. I'm sold.
UOldPirate

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:49 pm

I kinda like it, but not at that price ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Feralcom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 pm

The R2 units head is as equally oversized as the price.

I might pick it up at Target, Walmart or TRU, but I won't order it and pay shipping on top of that price.

It may be the first prequel item I don't get.
Feralcom

Postby Cradok » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:21 pm

The price per part is actually $0.15, which is in line with the 8088 ARC-170 and ahead of the $0.16 of the 8087 TIE Defender. It just seems to be more because it's $100.
Cradok

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:01 pm

So the price is in line with two other overpriced sets? ;)
Mister Ed

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Cradok wrote:The price per part is actually $0.15, which is in line with the 8088 ARC-170 and ahead of the $0.16 of the 8087 TIE Defender. It just seems to be more because it's $100.

But those sets have minifigs. As OP said. UCS sets are supposed to be good deals, price/part wise. Also, they're supposed to be MOC-quality, but this just looks like a dumbed-down version of cavegod's.

And to whoever brought up the UCS Naboo Starfighter, at least that had chrome parts/stickers.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:06 pm

The UCS AT-ST had 1068 pieces and was only £60 in the UK, although as it didn't sell well you could get it for £45 most of the time. I don't see that this set has any massively unique pieces, similar to the AT-ST so I really don't understand the price?!
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby kelano28 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:15 pm

Is it possible the colors have come into play price-wise? I feel like if the ship was mostly gray/black (like most ucs) then it could have been cheaper.. or am I way off here?
kelano28

Postby KarolRabalski » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:31 pm

I kind of wish they had made the droid like a normal minifig droid. Kind of like how there are other actual minifigures in the USC sets, but either way, I'm not a fan of UCS haha. I mean, they look great and all, but the only huge sets I would like to buy would be of like a building or something. I'd rather have the minifigure Star Wars sets, but then again that's just me.

I do like that cockpit! I've never seen it before so maybe it's already around, but I think that would be a great piece.
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby Draykov » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:06 pm

KarolRabalski wrote:I do like that cockpit! I've never seen it before so maybe it's already around, but I think that would be a great piece.

You mean the canopy? I believe that's just an unprinted version of this one.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby OOM-9 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Meh, I'll pass. It doesn't impress me that much compared to other UCS sets. And don't get me started on the price! >:(
OOM-9

Postby Gonk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Given everything else that has been stated here and elsewhere - the fact that it has stickers is a deal killer for me. For that much money they should have been able to print on the bricks. Pass.
Gonk

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Actually, I don't think that the head is too big. If this is close to twice the size of the system scale, that 2 studs vs 4 studs would be appropriate.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Next

Return to Star Wars