Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Classic space magnet thoughts?

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Classic space magnet thoughts?

Postby bobalego » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:33 am

I for one think the selling of the classic minifigure sets was not worth buying for the sole reason that the helm on the space man is not a classic helm. This goes for the magnet too. Any one else feel this way or has it already been talked about? I would love more than anything else for LEGO to rerelease the classic castle sets. The helm issue would be the only reason I see this not happening. LEGO must have discontinued the mold for this helm.
bobalego

Re: Classic space magnet thoughts?

Postby liquidcross » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:16 am

I'm guessing that the classic space helm was discontinued because the chin strap broke far too easily. Many of mine as a child met that fate. :(
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Morgan19 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 am

I have no plans to spend the $75, but I'm fine with how the Classic figure is represented– the helmet is what's available to use. If anything, it would be great if the new Classic figures had true trans-clear visors as well... Now that would make them unique.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 am

bobalego wrote:I for one think the selling of the classic minifigure sets was not worth buying for the sole reason that the helm on the space man is not a classic helm. This goes for the magnet too. Any one else feel this way or has it already been talked about? I would love more than anything else for LEGO to rerelease the classic castle sets. The helm issue would be the only reason I see this not happening. LEGO must have discontinued the mold for this helm.

It's definitely been talked about. Personally, i find the new style helmet to be superior to the old one. Not just in terms of sturdiness, but also because an open-face helmet is no way to venture out into the cold vacuum of space. I tend to be something of an old school purist, particularly when it comes to Classic-Space, but I don't mind this helmet. Besides, the fact that CS is getting some love after all those years without any space theme at all outside of Star Wars is great.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby JamesBenjamin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm with Draykov. I don't mind the new-style helmet, especially when its a freebie thrown in. I was going to buy the shuttle sooner or later, so I just ordered it yesterday, the magnet figure drew me in from the "later" column to "now."
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:54 pm

I am not by any of these collectable figs/packs unless they stop using CCP (Cheap Chinese Plastic).
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby legomatt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:03 pm

I thought the little freebie space-dude was a nice idea, until they asked for £50 spend - which i won't be doing in any hurry.

I'm not too concerned about how authentic the helmet is, (you can pop an authentic one on if you have it), but those original ones certainly did snap - pretty much every one of my original lego helmets met that fate, and i never mistreated my toys as a kid - they were just brittle. So, using a slightly stronger version is probably a good idea... otherwise how many of us would be complaining about them if they arrived with a nice little hairline crack, sometimes an appreciative nod to the past is better than reliving it.
legomatt

Postby Marty » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:11 pm

I for one like the little space dude, but here's the thing, why couldn't Lego do a magnet set with the 5 coloured space men, like they did when they first came out?
Blue, Red, Black, Yellow & White, it makes more sense.

I still have most of these as they are most treasured items, but your right about the helmets though, you have to be careful, when handling.
Marty

Postby Robzula » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:48 pm

I like the magnet guy, but it's not enough incentive to make me spend $75 right now. If it was more like the statue that came with the Galactic Enforcer, that might be another story, because that's probably the coolest thing I've gotten in a LEGO set in the past few years.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 am

Marty wrote:I for one like the little space dude, but here's the thing, why couldn't Lego do a magnet set with the 5 coloured space men, like they did when they first came out?

Now you're speaking my language...but these days, I don't trust minifigs outside of production sets, so the chances of me actually purchasing anything like that individually (let alone in multiples) is pretty slim. This little guy is "free" so I see it as getting what you pay for. It's a great idea and a pretty good execution but for the fact that it's one of the more cheaply made figs. The 2x4 tile with the Classic-Space homage is a nice little bonus.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:49 am

Got mine yesterday. It comes as pieces in a polybag. The delivery note calls it "D2C NASA Promotion 2010". Since when is NASA involved with LEGO Classic Space..?

Unfortunately it has "components made in DENMARK and CHINA" and the telltale rectangular markings on the arms.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:14 pm

I'd buy one or two if sold, but it's not worth a $75 purchase just to get one.

I really don't see why anyone cares about the helmet. It's not that drastically different.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby ufjason » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:19 pm

I agree, I'd buy this individually. Classic space has a special place in my heart but I also loved futuron as well. Most sets that have figures that come with visors come with an extra visor you could use for this figure. Even the 8683 spaceman came with an extra visor. I liked the statue that came with the spIII galactic enforcer, very nice tribute.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Return to Original Themes