Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby owennjames » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:10 am

I'm just curious as to what people think the rarest minifig (star wars only) or what their favourite one might be?
owennjames

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby legomatt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Isn't the rarest meant to be that gold plated C3PO?
legomatt

Postby The Brain » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:03 am

I was going to say that this topic should be consulted, but on second glance it's not really serious or SW specific...but we have had questions like this in the past (including favorite SW character ones).

Mine favorite would be Kit Fisto, though I've yet to obtain him yet.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:35 am

Out of the non chrome/metal variety, I think the rarest is Cloud City Boba
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Draykov » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 am

Rarest is relative. Are you including brick-built figs? Standard figs? Specially molded figs? Only non-promotional figs that appeared in regular production sets? Are you considering time as a variable (e.g. Padme has been released in 2 different sets, which is more than Lobot, but she came out in 1999 while Lobot came out in 2002, so the sets she appeared in have been out of production for longer). In other words, you're not going to find a simple answer (at least, not one with much merit) because it's a deceptively complex question. Some insight can be had by conducting a little research.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:36 am

Draykov wrote:Rarest is relative. Are you including brick-built figs? Standard figs? Specially molded figs? Only non-promotional figs that appeared in regular production sets? Are you considering time as a variable (e.g. Padme has been released in 2 different sets, which is more than Lobot, but she came out in 1999 while Lobot came out in 2002, so the sets she appeared in have been out of production for longer). In other words, you're not going to find a simple answer (at least, not one with much merit) because it's a deceptively complex question. Some insight can be had by conducting a little research.

Well, going by price, Cloud City Boba is the rarest at $85 on BL!
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Draykov » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 am

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:Well, going by price, Cloud City Boba is the rarest at $85 on BL!

Most people refer to that as value/worth (which is also relative) not rarity.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Andi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 am

Well, what is 'rare'? If something is available at once than it is not rare imo. Maybe expensive, but not rare.
So I would say, that fully golden C3PO might be the rarest Star Wars Fig.

My favourite - that is another question. This is Luke, from the first Landspeeder. Because he was the first minifig I bought after dark age. Also my very first Bricklink order. And the first time ever that I bought only a fig, not a set. And it was a wonderfully summer day when the package arrived.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby ccandgc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Rare? No Expensive? No...only as much as I am willing to pay.....any R2 series astromech. Especially R2-D2 XD
-Chad
ccandgc

Postby mr_joshua » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Draykov wrote:Rarest is relative. Are you including brick-built figs? Standard figs? Specially molded figs? Only non-promotional figs that appeared in regular production sets? Are you considering time as a variable (e.g. Padme has been released in 2 different sets, which is more than Lobot, but she came out in 1999 while Lobot came out in 2002, so the sets she appeared in have been out of production for longer). In other words, you're not going to find a simple answer (at least, not one with much merit) because it's a deceptively complex question. Some insight can be had by conducting a little research.

Well then....He did say Favorite OR rarest.

My favorite would have to be EPIII Scout/Swamp Trooper (from the original Juggernaut) and my rarest is a toss up, either Cloud City Boba or Chrome gold C-3PO.
mr_joshua

Postby DarthMC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Lets not forget the white Boba from the original 200. (At least until the rest of them are released and it drives the price down.)

DarthMC
DarthMC

Postby YavinBase » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:18 pm

legomatt is on the right track with his question. I would say that the solid gold 3PO is the rarest minifigure since only five were offered up to the general public via a contest a few years ago.

As for the favorite minifigure, mine would be Cloud City Lando. Reasons are since this is the only set that he has appeared in to date and his cape is unique.
YavinBase

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:19 pm

YavinBase wrote:legomatt is on the right track with his question. I would say that the solid gold 3PO is the rarest minifigure since only five were offered up to the general public via a contest a few years ago.

As for the favorite minifigure, mine would be Cloud City Lando. Reasons are since this is the only set that he has appeared in to date and his cape is unique.

Although I think OP means a regular ABS fig.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby BobaFett » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:58 am

My favorite is, and always be the original Boba Fett fig in the old gray.
In my opinion the rarest figs are the Cloud City figs.
BobaFett

Postby legofett » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Jango, Young Boba (although he is not heavily desired.) Most of all i'd say Padme is the rarest. It is a complete joke IMO that TLG has queen Amidala on the episode 1 box art, and the LSW videogame as a fig but never made a real one. IMO Cloud City Boba is overrated when I have about 5 regular Boba's minus the overatted wrist-rocket/holister paintjob. Oh and in your face I have the 4 painted stormies! :p
legofett

Postby OOM-9 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Hmm that is a broad question. :S I'd have to say my "rarest" minifigure I own would be the flesh Qui-gon jinn only because he appeared in one set. My favorite minifigure is Ahsoka. Yes its shocking I know. :p
OOM-9

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:44 pm

legofett wrote:Jango, Young Boba (although he is not heavily desired.) Most of all i'd say Padme is the rarest. It is a complete joke IMO that TLG has queen Amidala on the episode 1 box art, and the LSW videogame as a fig but never made a real one. IMO Cloud City Boba is overrated when I have about 5 regular Boba's minus the overatted wrist-rocket/holister paintjob. Oh and in your face I have the 4 painted stormies! :p

I don't think Padme is too rare at $4 for the cheapest on BL. There are a lot of figs that TLG included in the LSW games that don't exist in official Lego reality. Oh, and this isn't the place to brag about your collection.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Draykov » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:49 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:I don't think Padme is too rare at $4 for the cheapest on BL.

Once again, you're confusing rarity with value. Statistically speaking, she's rare because she only showed up in 2 sets across the entire licensed theme, and not since 1999.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Yes, but rarity and value are very closely connected. The rarer the piece, the more expensive it will be. Plus, I don't think that being in 2 common sets constitutes are being rare.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Draykov » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm not disputing the connection between rarity and value, but they are, definitively, different things. Rarity is not a matter of opinion. Statistically speaking, Padme is a pretty rare minfig, hence the average going price of about $10 on Bricklink. Her value compared to something like a Boba Fett figure has more to do with demand than actual rarity.

For instance, let's take two character that have only appeared once: Lobot and Captain Antilles. Average going price for Lobot on Bricklink a little over $7. For Cpt. Antilles it's almost $20. And Cpt. Antilles is currently available in an extant set. Why? Is one more rare than the other? 1 to 1. No difference. But there are other factors, such as the price of the set each character came in, general demand and interest in a particular character, etc. Which leads me back to my original point: value is a complex issue with lots of determining factors. Rarity can be determined empirically with statistics.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Next

Return to Star Wars