Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] 10213 Space Shuttle

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: [NEW STUFF] 10213 Space Shuttle

Postby enigmapc » Sat May 08, 2010 11:25 am

Amazing!!! It is a little piece of history since the STS program is retiring soon. 20 years from now I'll be telling my kids, "This is what we used to explore space back when I was a kid." I still remember watching the Challenger tragedy when I was in third grade. I always feel a sense of patriotism and pride in the US when I see the shuttle. It reminds me of how blessed I am to live in America...even if politicians have forgotten. Man is capable of anything once the decision is made to do it. This set already has a place reserved for display.
enigmapc

Postby Diaaabo » Sat May 08, 2010 12:03 pm

http://www.plug.pt/forum/index.php?topic=4922.0

First public appearance at BRInCKa 2010 Lourinhã, hosted by PLUG.

All those white slopes would be very welcomed around here :cool:
Diaaabo

Postby meeotch » Sat May 08, 2010 1:38 pm

There is absolutely no question about it for me: I will be getting this set. One of my favorite sets that I had as a child was the 1682 Space Shuttle.

When my dad sold of of my LEGOs in a garage sale a couple years ago (after I explicitly told him not to) that set being among those lost was one of my biggest personal losses. I will definitely be getting this set to plug up one of the holes left in my soul. XD
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sat May 08, 2010 3:10 pm

^ Fail. IKR? My mom threw out of my lego catalogs 2000-2006.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Marty » Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble, you lot, but apart from the booster rockets and a few extra bits thrown in, I see no real difference between the older discovery version and the new one.
It's still too small and lacking in detail for my liking.
If there is to be a model of the shuttle, then make it detailed inside, and forget the boosters & landing pad, make it with lights and okay dare I say it, sound!
I've had the older version and I sold it at one stage, why?
Points about it I didn't like, but I remember looking at a sound & light rocket set I had, and wondering how neat it would be to add this in some way, but I never got around to it.
It's a nice set though, and for those that missed it first time around, you'll be happy.
But, here's the kicker, something like this is probably very expensive and with so many new sets to choose from, this would have a better chance being sold at Christmas, than middle of the year.

Happy trails, Marty
Marty

Postby vynsane » Sat May 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Marty wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble [...] It's still too small and lacking in detail for my liking.

I dunno... it looks pretty huge in this video with Simon Kent, Creative Lead Designer for LEGO.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby Robzula » Sat May 08, 2010 7:04 pm

That thing IS huge. The boosters seemed longer than his forearm, though he could just be short. Spring loaded, fully concealable landing gears is what's making this set a must have to me. Plus, like Meeotch, the old shuttle launch set is one of my favourites (though I had the redesigned one).

Was it just me or did that guy look like he was gonna murder someone at some parts of the video...
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby UOldPirate » Sat May 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Marty wrote:...But, here's the kicker, something like this is probably very expensive and with so many new sets to choose from, this would have a better chance being sold at Christmas, than middle of the year.

I would agree that the larger sets probably do sell better at Christmas. In this case however, Lego is most likely timing the release to coincide with the end of the shuttle program. With only 3 more shuttle missions left and the program ending in late fall, I think it makes sense to get the set out before NASA closes the book on the shuttles. There will be lots of buzz and interest in the shuttle program this fall, which could help boost sales. I know it will make me want to buy one. This could be the last time Lego ever makes a shuttle set. :(

meeotch & Robzula, the 1682 is one of my personal favs too. I had it out in my office for years and only boxed it up for storage last summer. double :(
UOldPirate

Postby Robzula » Sat May 08, 2010 8:22 pm

UOldPirate wrote:This could be the last time Lego ever makes a shuttle set. :(

This begs to differ.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby UOldPirate » Sat May 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Robzula wrote:
UOldPirate wrote:This could be the last time Lego ever makes a shuttle set. :(

This begs to differ.

True. However, I wasn't saying it would be the last time, only that could be the last time. I'd rather buy this shuttle now, than miss out and hope they release one in the future. Plus, there was a 30+ year gap between the end of the Apollo program and the release of the 10029. I'd rather not wait until 2040 for a "new" shuttle set. :)
UOldPirate

Postby Zrath » Sat May 08, 2010 9:52 pm

I like it!
Yes, it's got a lot in common with the 7470 Discovery Shuttle, which happens to be sitting on my dining room table right now but isn't actually mine DARN IT!!, but it's got the external tank and the Solid Rocket Boosters!!
I am so getting one when it comes out!!!
Zrath

Postby meeotch » Sat May 08, 2010 11:54 pm

I think this set looks a lot better than the Discovery set. This one is a lot sleeker than the Discovery was. Besides, there's one other major difference between the Shuttle Adventure and the Discovery: I have the opportunity to get the Shuttle Adventure at a reasonable price. Really, my only problem is with the external tank. It looks a little anatomical.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Larry Lars » Sun May 09, 2010 5:48 am

Meh! To me this looks to much to be a set for grown up collectors of Lego.
I'm 41 and happy to be a little kid when it comes to Lego. ;) This looks boring.

Some nice parts, but of course too pricy to be a parts pack.
Larry Lars

Postby KarolRabalski » Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Really neat! Definitely one of 2010's best sets! :)
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon May 10, 2010 3:01 am

Wait just a second here. You mean to tell me that not only is LEGO releasing a non-gimmicky, non-plastered-in-stickers space set, but that it's also reasonably priced and accurate to a real model?

My world is being turned upside down. :shock:
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Daz Hoo » Mon May 10, 2010 7:24 am

Larry Lars wrote:Some nice parts, but of course too pricy to be a parts pack.

Too pricy??? I beg to differ, because at an average of $0.083 per part, this set is extremely well priced, even if you consider it just to be a parts pack.
Daz Hoo

Postby enigmapc » Mon May 10, 2010 11:29 am

The shuttle is listed on S@H as "Coming in June".
http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... =245&d=100

Not long now.
enigmapc

Postby vynsane » Mon May 10, 2010 12:40 pm

I already planted the seed for Father's Day, although it looks like it won't be available until after June 30 in The States.

vynsane

Postby Solo » Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 am

I'll just throw this in here so everyone can drool a bit more...

Image
Solo

Postby vynsane » Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 am

Dat's pritty.

Man, now I really hope it's available before Father's Day...

vynsane

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes