Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Model Builders Wanted!

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Model Builders Wanted!

Postby Staff » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm a Model Designer at Merlin Entertainment's Legoland Development model shop in Carlsbad, CA. When I was hired as a Model Builder 10 months ago, we were working on Legoland Malaysia. Now we're hard at work on the production of Legoland Florida. With upcoming Legoland Discovery Centers and attractions being announced at an exciting rate, the job security is awesome. Our shop is looking to grow even larger to accommodate the production of the new parks. And with that growth comes your chance to join our expanding team!

From Legoland:
Do you have what it takes to be a Master Model Builder? LEGOLAND is currently looking to add five people to the team at the LEGOLAND Development Model Shop. Work on exciting new projects for LEGOLAND Florida, LEGOLAND Malaysia and the new LEGOLAND Water Park in California opening in June. Applications will be accepted from now until April 30th.

Go here for Legoland's career page and click on job id 291 Model Builder.

I'm happy to answer questions as best I can in the comments!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/04/22/model-builders-wanted/
Staff

Re: Model Builders Wanted!

Postby Solo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:45 pm

How many are you hiring?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby twentythree » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:59 pm

I would love to be involved with model building at LEGOLAND Florida but there is no positions available. Will there be any eventually or are all of the models being built in California and then shipped to Florida?
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Man, I'd hate to go down a LEGO water slide... that would be a bumpy ride. *ba-dum tiss*

I'd love to work as a model builder some day, but I'm not in a position to try for it for various reasons. Good luck to anyone who tries for it though!
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Solo wrote:How many are you hiring?

[quote=staff] LEGOLAND is currently looking to add five people

That's what they say. But shhh... we're really looking for more :)
Chief

Postby pastormacman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:27 am

I hate to sound like the materialistic one of the bunch but...

What's the pay and the hours. I mean don't get me wrong, just getting paid anything to build LEGOs all day would be great but I do have a family to feed. I need to see if this is even something that is a realistic option for me before I move forward.
pastormacman

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:28 am

I would love to...if I lived in Cali....
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby SIMAFOL » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 am

I agree with pastormacman. I don't want to jeopardize my current position and family status just to follow my dream. I've spoken to Gary about what happens to your home building and he said he doesn't build for himself anymore. We're currently a little over an hour from the new FL location, it might be in my interest to check it out.

If you have any financial/duration info, feel free to PM me. Plus, I am an improviser at SAK Comedy Lab and don't mind talking to people when I'm in my costume.
-SIMAFOL-
SIMAFOL

Postby drfeelgood » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:42 am

I' am currently applying for a postion as model maker for windsor over here in the UK. I was wondering what the interview process is like. I have read you need to build something within 15 minutes or something like that. If so what kind of bricks are you given to complete this challenge, any advice or tips would be most helpfull, thanks :)
drfeelgood

Postby Chief » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:39 pm

pastormacman wrote:What's the pay and the hours. I mean don't get me wrong, just getting paid anything to build LEGOs all day would be great but I do have a family to feed.

SIMAFOL wrote:I agree with pastormacman. I don't want to jeopardize my current position and family status just to follow my dream. I've spoken to Gary about what happens to your home building and he said he doesn't build for himself anymore. We're currently a little over an hour from the new FL location, it might be in my interest to check it out.

I also have a wife and kids to support, so I'm well aware of your concerns. Associates, Builders, and Designers all work 40-hour weeks. I don't know what pay they are currently offering, but 10 months ago it was 12-15 dollars an hour, so it's probably safe to assume the same now. In addition, there are fantastic benefits, including 401k, Lego discounts, and medical, among others.

Obviously, the pay isn't amazing. The vast majority of the workers in the shop have either a second job on the side or have a significant other with one. California's not a cheap place to live. Honestly, the pay + benefits + job satisfaction all work together to make it rewarding.

@ Simafol: my building at home has been hindered more by kids and a vast amount of unsorted lego than by anything work-related. Everybody is different though. Your results may vary.

drfeelgood wrote:I' am currently applying for a postion as model maker for windsor over here in the UK. I was wondering what the interview process is like.

I can't speak for the model shop in Windsor, but it sounds like their process is definitely different than the one here. I can say that a great portfolio goes a long way. Best of luck to you!
Chief

Postby SIMAFOL » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Wow Chief, thanks for the reply. Based on the info you provided, it doesn't look to be too advantageous for me. I'm currently making about that much now and it only takes me 5 minutes to get to work. Plus I am at a good growing company where I have places to go.
Thanks plenty!
-S-
SIMAFOL

Postby Zrath » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:28 am

I totally applied! :D

Thanks Chief!
Zrath

Return to BCS 2.0