Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The sarlacc Model Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: The sarlacc Model Contest

Postby MisterFubar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Here is my very first and very sorry attempt at it. I think I used about 40% of the pieces. The set doesn't have a whole lot of easily usable pieces.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48087935@N08/
MisterFubar

Postby onions » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:12 pm

MisterFubar wrote:Here is my very first and very sorry attempt at it. I think I used about 40% of the pieces. The set doesn't have a whole lot of easily usable pieces.

dude, you have a whole month to build. and you submit something less than 24 hours since the announcement?

this isn't a race.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:06 am

onions wrote:
MisterFubar wrote:Here is my very first and very sorry attempt at it. I think I used about 40% of the pieces. The set doesn't have a whole lot of easily usable pieces.

dude, you have a whole month to build. and you submit something less than 24 hours since the announcement?

this isn't a race.

I sure did. I had a little free time which gave me the opportunity to sit down and build something and I took it, I didn't realize you wanted me to spend the entire month working on it.
MisterFubar

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 am

The mention of pilot and windscreen seems to imply that the alternate model should be some ship/spacecraft. Is this also a requirement, or would a fixed installation (e.g. moon base) built from 8036 plus one windscreen also be acceptable?
(Just wondering. I will probably submit a spaceship just like everybody else.)

Background: While mulling over which windscreen I could use I even considered a UCS TIE canopy. It seems too large to build a reasonable ship around it given the parts available, but it might make a good domed roof for a separatist igloo...
Gingerbeard Man

Postby banthafodder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:31 am

^^ The rules state that you only need to build an alternate model. There is no specification as to what that model could be as long as it fits the figure requirement. I guess we'll need a judge clarification.
banthafodder

Postby Morgan19 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 am

Yay, an old-fashioned alt-model contest-- always a fun challenge. Thanks for running this one, guys.

First, my usual question: are Photoshopped visuals that don't physically affect the model's pieces (background, lighting, exhaust trails, laser beams, etc.) allowed in the submitted photo?

Second, are you looking specifically for an alt that belongs in the SW universe (like the voidfighter) or is any type of vehicle acceptable?

m19
Last edited by Morgan19 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan19

Postby Masked Builder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 am

While I may have missed it but, can we have more than one entry? Thanks, Masked
Masked Builder

Postby Jargon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 pm

If this is to be your contest entry, you may want to tag it appropriately.
onions wrote:In flickr, your photo must be tagged with "sarlacc Model", with quotes, to be eligible.

Also, blogged.
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby JimButcher » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:07 pm

For some reason I can only see the first post on each page...

Anyway, sounds fun. A few questions, though:

- Still using one Sep Shuttle set, are we allowed to do more builds if we have leftover pieces, and still count them as one entry collectively? More importantly, do we have to use all of the pieces?

- Do we have to use an additional windscreen?

I'll get building soon...
JimButcher

Postby onions » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:59 am

MisterFubar wrote:
onions wrote:

this isn't a race.

I sure did. I had a little free time which gave me the opportunity to sit down and build something and I took it, I didn't realize you wanted me to spend the entire month working on it.

not that you HAVE to spend the whole month building it, but if you yourself admit that it's a "very sorry attempt", don't you think you should take some time to build something that you are happy with?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 am

Gingerbeard Man wrote:The mention of pilot and windscreen seems to imply that the alternate model should be some ship/spacecraft. Is this also a requirement, or would a fixed installation (e.g. moon base) built from 8036 plus one windscreen also be acceptable?
(Just wondering. I will probably submit a spaceship just like everybody else.)

Background: While mulling over which windscreen I could use I even considered a UCS TIE canopy. It seems too large to build a reasonable ship around it given the parts available, but it might make a good domed roof for a separatist igloo...

it shoud be a ship. i've amended the rules to clarify this point.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 am

Morgan19 wrote:Yay, an old-fashioned alt-model contest-- always a fun challenge. Thanks for running this one, guys.

First, my usual question: are Photoshopped visuals that don't physically affect the model's pieces (background, lighting, exhaust trails, laser beams, etc.) allowed in the submitted photo?

Second, are you looking specifically for an alt that belongs in the SW universe (like the voidfighter) or is any type of vehicle acceptable?

m19

i'm going to have to say no to any special effects. this is a building contest, not a graphic design challenge. photo editing should be limited to image correction only, i.e. color correction, brightness/contrast, levels. you may remove the background to help isolate the model, but any photoshoppery should be avoided.

any ship is fine, it doesn't have to be "'starwarsy".
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:07 am

Masked Builder wrote:While I may have missed it but, can we have more than one entry? Thanks, Masked

one entry per person. submitting more than one entry only hurts your chances anyway.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:10 am

JimButcher wrote:For some reason I can only see the first post on each page...

Anyway, sounds fun. A few questions, though:

- Still using one Sep Shuttle set, are we allowed to do more builds if we have leftover pieces, and still count them as one entry collectively? More importantly, do we have to use all of the pieces?

You are to build an alternate model, singular. more than model will not count. Also:

The Rules wrote:You may use as many or as few pieces from the set as you wish.

JimButcher wrote:- Do we have to use an additional windscreen?

I'll get building soon...

Yes.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 am

i've updated the rules to clarify the points above.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:20 am

onions wrote:not that you HAVE to spend the whole month building it, but if you yourself admit that it's a "very sorry attempt", don't you think you should take some time to build something that you are happy with?

I'm very happy with what I built, but relative to some of the great work I've seen around here I'm going to have to stick with the "very sorry attempt" label on it. XD
MisterFubar

Postby vandal08 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:41 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I hope I am adding my entry correctly, but here goes:

I have a few more pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48077350@N03/4407425411/
vandal08

Postby theJudeAbides » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:24 pm

OK, so I think I'm ready to "officially" submit my entry:

For more information/pictures and/or to comment on it, please visit the MOC page.

Please let me know if there is something wrong with it (tags, etc..) as I'm not that familiar with Flickr.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Robzula » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 pm

Does the alt model have to be a starship, or can it be a tank, or boat, or whatever? Does it have to be military, or can you make, say, a civilian airspeeder?
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 am

starship.

it does not have to be military.
onions
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds