Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Collectible Minifig Packs No Show @ Toy Fair

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Collectible Minifig Packs No Show @ Toy Fair

Postby Staff » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:40 pm

The Collectible Minifig Packs were a no show at Toy Fair this year. LEGO decided to pull them at the last minute, only to bring them out again for the regular show attendees (i.e. buyers and I suppose "real" press). No satisfactory reason was given, at least none that made any sense to me.

ANYWAYS, all griping aside, the press kit did come with a pic of the series 2 selection. Some stats:

Series 1:
» $1.99 USD
» $2.99 CAD
» Available in June

Series 2:
» $1.99 USD
» $2.99 CAD
» Available in September

Pardon the poor photo, but I did the best I could with my camera and available light and cleaned it up as much as possible. Check it out below:

Collectible Minifig Series

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/02/14/collectible-minifig-packs-no-show-toy-fair/
Staff

Re: Collectible Minifig Packs No Show @ Toy Fair

Postby banthafodder » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Disco Stu is my new fav in this series. Metallic purple arms=awesome
banthafodder

Postby yankeeken » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:09 pm

What is the guy in between the vampire and the mime suppose to be? I thought he was suppose to be an aviator, but he has handcuffs.
Last edited by yankeeken on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yankeeken

Postby skyward72 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:09 pm

I wonder if there will be any chase figures?
skyward72

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:54 pm

yankeeken wrote:What is the guy in between the vampire and the mime suppose to be? I thought he was suppose to be an aviator, but he has handcuffs.

I was thinking motorcycle cop a la CHiPs.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby the dutch guy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:10 pm

did they give any official statements regarding what they're going to cost in other countries, or just the US and Canada?
don't you just love patriotism...
the dutch guy

Postby jedi_master_sal » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Ah shoot! From that pic I want:
Spartan, Witch, Body Builder, Egyptian, Dracula, Mime, Maracas Hombré.

Anyone else buying these and gets those ones I listed and doesn't want them, shoot me a PM and let's make a deal.

-Sal
jedi_master_sal

Postby Draykov » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:32 pm

You'll probably want to start thinking about getting in on some of this, Sal: Hot Trading Guild Action

The following is from this thread:
Solo wrote:Yes, the trade forum will probably have a dedicated thread for these. Everyone who wants to trade can post in it, and they can list their haves and wants all color coded for easy browsing and a note if they mind shipping internationally. That's my suggestion for it at least.

onions wrote:sounds like you just volunteered to manage the thread.

thanks, don!

Interestingly, this is also how Don became FBTB's official bear bait on camping trips.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby fredjh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:55 pm

I wonder how mixed the boxes of these will be.

I mean... should I buy them a week apart? At different locations?

Should I buy like 20 or 30 all at once, or will that just give me 20 or 30 of the same one?
fredjh

Postby MShiels » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:25 am

Interesting, the dealer price list here in CAnada shows them for 2.99 each, not 2.49.
ImageIf near Mississauga, come visit us at 2410 Dunwin Drive, Unit 5 - your local Ontario LEGO only store - TRUly the largest selection of LEGO around
And out Bricklink store is http://Shop.LastingToys.Com
MShiels

Postby MenacingVitamin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 am

OK, am I wrong or does that weightlifter's barbell include two 2x2 round jumper plates?!?
MenacingVitamin

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:38 am

fredjh wrote:I wonder how mixed the boxes of these will be.

I mean... should I buy them a week apart? At different locations?

Should I buy like 20 or 30 all at once, or will that just give me 20 or 30 of the same one?

Representatives from LEGO stated that each box (which will contain 60 packs) will be filled randomly and that, in each serie, some minifigs may be rarer than others. That means boxes will not necessarely have an equal amount of every minifig pack.

In short, in order to trully get what you want (say, one of each), you might have to buy multiple packs or pay a problably much higher price on the secondary market.
Daz Hoo

Postby fredjh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:46 pm

That's what I mean... let's say I buy a whole box, or even two. Am I likely to get the complete set? I realize I'll get more of some than others, I think that's a given.

I really like the figures, but the whole "Pokemon" approach to selling them is a turn off.
fredjh

Postby onions » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:24 pm

you could always trade your extras to get the ones you want. i have a feeling with the community as large as it is, it would be quite easy to acquire a complete set by trading.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Jabba the Taff » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Are you feeling lucky, punk? If there's 60 box, 16 figures, then surely - but surely!! - each one must appear once. Those numbers give Lego plenty of leeway to put 1 copies of some, 2 of some and 3 of some in a whole box. Could they be a nasty as to leave some of the figures out of the boxes completely?

This is all speculation of course, I'm just choosing to believe that Lego may be in the business of being in business but they're not that nasty. I hope so anyway because buying whole boxes the way I completed my Garbage Pail Kids collection!
Jabba the Taff

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Well, like others mentioned, there's 60 packs in one box, and 16 different minifigs in the serie. Although the odds aren't bad in finding all 16 in one box, there's no garantee.

And for the "Pokemon" method used by LEGO to sell those, well, you can't blame them for using a proven sale method. Afterall, LEGO is a business...
Daz Hoo

Postby jedi_master_sal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 pm

jedi_master_sal

Postby Draykov » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Jabba the Taff wrote:Are you feeling lucky, punk? If there's 60 box, 16 figures, then surely - but surely!! - each one must appear once.

I'm with Jabba...and don't call me Shirley.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Prince Kahuka » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:Although the odds aren't bad in finding all 16 in one box, there's no garantee.

I don't know how reliable he is, but "homoludens" over at Eurobricks said:
homoludens wrote:...in Nuremberg I heard a lego rep saying a few times that there is at least one of each figure in a case/display box.
Prince Kahuka

Postby Tyrant » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Well, in another "random" product I buy (Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures), the cases seem to be pretty reliable about their content. One case will have half of the rares, 1.5 of each Uncommon (1 copy of half of them, 2 copies of the other half), and 4 of each common. That is how every case I ever bought (and I bought them for several sets) broke down. So, while the product can be random, the packing on the case level doesn't have to be absolutely random.

If LEGO goes a similar route, that would mean a case should have a specific breakdown. The random part can be which order the boxes go in the case, and therefore which order they end up on the shelf. I hope that makes sense. The overall content of a case can be fixed but the location within the case of each figure doesn't have to be fixed so when they are put out you are still essentially shotting in the dark (but you know that case, at one point, had the entire set). If that is the way LEGO chooses to go.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Next

Return to Original Themes