Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Hero Factory Video

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

LEGO Hero Factory Video

Postby Staff » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 am

I just got the following video in a press release today. LEGO Hero Factory is the line that is replacing Bionicle:

While I, myself, wasn't the biggest Bionicle fan, I can appreciate it's place in the LEGO product line. There were mixed reactions when LEGO announced that the line was ending. Hero Factory seems like a good idea that has just the right appeal to hook kids. Some preliminary images have been leaked if you want to take a look (Hero Factory replaces Bionicle in August 2010 via The Brothers Brick). FBTB will have full coverage of this line come Toy Fair in February.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/01/19/lego-hero-factory-video/
Staff

Re: LEGO Hero Factory Video

Postby jonutah » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:26 am

They look and seem just like Bionacle. I really don't see why you discontinue something that has some following for something that looks exactly the same with no following. Seems costly to start a whole new brand...

- Jon
jonutah

Postby Draykov » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:31 am

Hero count: the word "hero" (along with its derivatives) was used heroically 10 times over the heroic course of that heroic 1 min. 14 second hero spot. On average, that's 1 heroic hero every 7.4 seconds. Hero.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby KarolRabalski » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:44 pm

I agree with jonutah, it's looks exactly the same if not lamer than BIONICLE. BIONICLE got lame after the Piraka, they probably should have had an epic ending a while ago.
But this...yea it'll probably get the attention of kids, but I think they could have come up with something more creative, maybe some sort of Technic transformers for kids or something.
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 am

KarolRabalski wrote:maybe some sort of Technic transformers for kids or something.

Like throw-bots?
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby GrayMattR » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 am

I was surprised to see that Hero Factory looked (to me a non-Bionicle fan) the same as Bionicle. The reason they are making the change is that a new story is needed to get kids interested or re-interested. The story of Bionicle was a huge factor in it's success with kids. Using the same pieces in a different story is a great plan on Lego's part.
GrayMattR

Postby meeotch » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:27 am

All this talk of heroes made me hungry.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby KarolRabalski » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 pm

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
KarolRabalski wrote:maybe some sort of Technic transformers for kids or something.

Like throw-bots?

Hey! I remember throw-bots! Haha, but maybe something bigger, throw-bots were really simple and small.
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby anakinisvader » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Maybe they should be called Heroicles.
anakinisvader

Postby Iare Tosevite » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Heroic indeed. :P well if it hits well, it'll make money for Lego. More Lego profit == More sets and stuff for us to get awed over. The hero stuff is for rubies. ;)
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Darth Caedus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:25 am

Ugh, that video was terrible. Compared to the mystique and exotic intrigue of the original 2001 Bionicle ads, it just falls flat. I mean, when Bionicle was launched, there was this cool aura surrounding it, with a huge island full of secrets, slick visuals, and diverse heroes. This "Hero Factory" couldn't feel any more canned. I mean, It's sounds like one of those one-off lines LEGO comes up with like Agents or something, not a replacement for a rich, original line that blended story with style. I enjoyed Bionicle a lot from 2001-2004, in 05 it sort of petered out but the Piraka in '06 were a breath of fresh air. Even as it inevitably built into a typical Ultimate Battle of Ultimate Destiny in 07 and 08 there were cool elements, and the un-happy ending was a nice twist. Didn't dig the Glatorian stuff, but I continue to be confused with why they would replace Bionicle with something so generic.
Darth Caedus

Postby Master Fetty » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:40 am

Unhappy ending? How exactly did Bionicle end.

I quite enjoyed it through til the end of the Toa Metru story.
Master Fetty

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Uhm, how exactly does this relate to Star Wars and Licensed Lego? :S There has been too much off-topic stuff on this site lately for my taste...
Anyway, I'm actually quite digging this line, much more so than Bionicle to be honest. I might actually get one or two of them. The trailer is cool, but the end kind of cracks me up... "Hero Factory - We build Heroes"... Well DUH! :lol: Something like "Where Heroes are built" would have sounded better IMO. Oh well.

Looking forward to Toy Fair! :D
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Flynn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:Uhm, how exactly does this relate to Star Wars and Licensed Lego? :S There has been too much off-topic stuff on this site lately for my taste...

Well, you will notice that this is, in fact, in the "Original Themes" portion of the site, so it's perfectly "on-topic"...
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm not saying it's off topic for this forum. I meant the frontpage. There were some random things on there lately which didn't have anything to do with Licensed Lego at all, which is what FBTB claimed to be about at some point.I'm not saying it's bad, I just think the frontpage should focus a bit more on Licenses, that's all. Just my opinion.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Master Fetty » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Firstly, there's not really been anything new on the license front.

Secondly, I think it has been stated FBTB, is broadening its view point to encompass all LEGO.
Master Fetty

Postby Robzula » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Master Fetty wrote:Unhappy ending? How exactly did Bionicle end.

I'm gonna throw up a SPOILER ALERT here

In the last story arc before the Glatorians, the original Toa had morphed into flying guys and were trying to awaken Matanui once more after he was resurrected by Matoro's sacrifice. When they finally did, it turned out Makuta had switched his soul into Matanui's body and Matanui's soul into the Mask of Life in the brief time that he was dead and caused the Toa to awaken HIM rather than the good god. Makuta then flung the Mask of Life into space and started a reign of terror on the world of Matanui. (Matanui then landed on the Glatorian planet, starting that story arc)
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:29 am

We're not exactly covering all lego, just trying to cover all licensed lines.

i posted the lego hero factory video since it came to me as a press release directly from lego. those are the exceptions we make on news reports.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby meeotch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:11 am

I for one like having as many updates as possible and let me decide if it's worth my time to read. I'd rather have too much information than not enough.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Draykov » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 am

Any LEGO news is good news, as far as I'm concerned...and my opinion counts as at least 2.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Next

Return to Original Themes