Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

January 2010 Assortment Prices, Piece Counts

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: January 2010 Assortment Prices, Piece Counts

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:06 pm

Here are some of the Canadian retail prices, as revealed on Toysrus.ca :

• 8085 Freeco Speeder - 177 pcs - TRU.ca RP: $34.99

• 8087 TIE Defender - 304 pcs - TRU.ca RP: $69.99

• 8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack - 74 pcs - TRU.ca RP: $14.99
(one can only assume that the 8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack will retail for the same price).

• 8086 Droid Tri-Fighter - 268 pcs - TRU.ca RP: $34.99

At 304 pieces, the TIE-Defender is pretty expensive, especially if you consider the retail price and piece count of its TIE predecessors:

- 7146 TIE Fighter : 169 pieces, $29,99
- 4479 TIE Bomber : 229 pieces, $39,99
- 7263 TIE Fighter with LUL Darth Vader : 159 pieces, $29,99
- 6206 TIE Interceptor : 212 pieces, $29,99
- 7664 TIE Crawler: 548 pieces, $69,99
- 8017 Darth Vader's TIE-Fighter : 251 pieces, $39,99

And yes, all those new sets mentioned above are available for order.
Daz Hoo

Postby Aharown » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:37 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:Here are some of the Canadian retail prices, as revealed on Toysrus.ca :

(one can only assume that the 8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack will retail for the same price).

And yes, all those new sets mentioned above are available for order.

$15 for a battle pack. Sigh :(

Of course, I'll still get a couple each, but that's probably it.

The Freeco Speeder seems about right - a bit expensive, but I'll only get one, anyway.

Thanks for the price list, Daz Hoo!
<><
Aharown

Postby KarolRabalski » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:Here are some of the Canadian retail prices, as revealed on Toysrus.ca :

At 304 pieces, the TIE-Defender is pretty expensive

Grrrrr. Well these are TRU prices, but theres none close to me and I usually go to Zellers or Sears, so things will probably be cheaper.
The Driod TriFighter I'm okay with, the Freeco Speeder...thats the last item on my to get list. Very Last.
the battle packs will be a dollar less for sure at zellers and stuff, i really dont get why TRU puts their prices up
I'm really angry about this Tie Defender though, 69.99 is the price I paid for the LEGO Batman tumbler + joker ice cream truck (quite possibly the best LEGO set I've ever purchased, legit, 449 pieces) and i only paid ten dollars more for the republic attack shuttle which was double the amount of pieces.
whatever, ill still get it haha. but still..
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby BlueDragonZ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:44 pm

KarolRabalski wrote:Grrrrr. Well these are TRU prices, but theres none close to me and I usually go to Zellers or Sears, so things will probably be cheaper.
The Driod TriFighter I'm okay with, the Freeco Speeder...thats the last item on my to get list. Very Last.
the battle packs will be a dollar less for sure at zellers and stuff, i really dont get why TRU puts their prices up
I'm really angry about this Tie Defender though, 69.99 is the price I paid for the LEGO Batman tumbler + joker ice cream truck (quite possibly the best LEGO set I've ever purchased, legit, 449 pieces) and i only paid ten dollars more for the republic attack shuttle which was double the amount of pieces.
whatever, ill still get it haha. but still..

Actually, Zellers have expensive SW battle packs. The Clone Walker and Assin Droids are $14.99. Toysrus & Walmart got them for $13.99. And if your lucky.... Sears (BOGO 30% off atm), london drugs (20% off all lego atm) and superstore (30% off all $13 sets last week) got them for reg. price of $12.99. But the rest of the stuff at Zellers are pretty much at retail with $26.99 sets marked up $1 higher.

The Tie Defender is a joke for $70. When i first saw it i was expecting something around a max of $50. With 304 pieces, thats even more overpriced than the count dooku solar sailer.. With these jacked up prices, people may buy fewer sets and hopefully lego will lower back their prices.
BlueDragonZ

Postby wiiwhitey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Man you getting ripped off so much on that Tie Defender. It should be $30 and the Tri-fighter & Freeco should be both $19.99 nor $24.99.
wiiwhitey

Parts per dollar ratio mystery

Postby RogueJedi007 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:36 pm

Most fans of Lego are comfortable paying about 10 cents a piece for a Lego set, and most know that more minifigs drives this ratio of 10 cents a piece higher. That is pretty well known.

Also most fans of Lego have seen this 10 cents a piece become more like 20 cents a piece over the last few years, again this is pretty well known and the reasons such as inflation are the cause.

But I am looking at this years assortment of Star Wars Lego sets and it seems like there is little rhyme or reason to some of the prices and part ratios. All prices are in the Canadian $.

7748 Tank Droid: 216 pieces: $30
8016 Hyena Droid Bomber: 232 pieces: $27
8036 Separatist Shuttle: 259 pieces: $40
8085 Freeco Speeder: 177 pieces: $35
8086 Droid Tri-fighter: 268 pieces: $35
8091 Swamp Speeder: 176 pieces: $40

The Swamp Speeder and Freeco Speeder have nearly the same number of parts but are $5 difference in price. Why? Because the Swamp Speeder has 3 battle droids? Because it is store exclusive? Exclusive to where? But the Hyena Bomber has more pieces and 3 battle droids (I know one is not a SBD) but is only $27. Even the Freeco comes with a new molded minifig which I think should make the set higher in price, not lower. The Tank Droid comes with new molded pieces (jet packs) as well which makes me think that new molds do not drive up costs of sets which I thought that was something that the Lego company said in the past. Also the Separatist Shuttle has a new molded 'hat' piece but that does not seem to affect the price of that set.

I understand Lego prices have gone up over the years but this seems like Lego themselves doesn't know how to price their own product. If you have a parent looking to buy simply for the best deal regard parts per dollar then the Tri-fighter will fly off the shelf. Or will they want the Freeco Speeder with Homer Simpson face Anakin and the new alien because it is new and shiny and from the Clone Wars? Or the Swamp Speeder with more battle droids (yawn), a vehicle with little or no screen time and a second string Jedi?

Does anyone else have any ideas? Do other countries and currencies have the same issues? I don't want to put this in 'Ask Lego' because it would get the same answer as all these kinds of questions, "It's complicated how and why Lego does it's pricing...etc etc." I have a hard enough time in the last few years buying Lego at full retail prices, but even less interested in paying full prices when sets that are similar in size or piece count vary so much in price.
=========================================================================
We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers.
RogueJedi007

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:19 am

I think any explanation we have that isn't a direct "well it's complicated and varies" would be pure speculation. I believe it has something to do with pre-determined price points that sets have to fall into, but that doesn't even make sense when comparing some sets.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Re: Parts per dollar ratio mystery

Postby ricefields » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 pm

RogueJedi007 wrote:But I am looking at this years assortment of Star Wars Lego sets and it seems like there is little rhyme or reason to some of the prices and part ratios. All prices are in the Canadian $.

The Swamp Speeder and Freeco Speeder have nearly the same number of parts but are $5 difference in price. Why? Because the Swamp Speeder has 3 battle droids? Because it is store exclusive? Exclusive to where? But the Hyena Bomber has more pieces and 3 battle droids (I know one is not a SBD) but is only $27. Even the Freeco comes with a new molded minifig which I think should make the set higher in price, not lower. The Tank Droid comes with new molded pieces (jet packs) as well which makes me think that new molds do not drive up costs of sets which I thought that was something that the Lego company said in the past. Also the Separatist Shuttle has a new molded 'hat' piece but that does not seem to affect the price of that set.

You forgot to mention the Bariss Offee minifig. I think that could be one of the contributors to the hike on the swamp speeder compared to the freeco speeder and other sets. I bet this one minifig will be unique (ie no future sets will include Bariss) and lego knew to capitalize on the retail cost of this set.
ricefields

Postby BlueDragonZ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Prices have gone up significantly in Canada. From $27 to $30 to $35 which is almost a $10 mark up making sets. The good news is that we're still slightly cheaper than other parts of the world because of the US which has the largest market. Lego did not raise the prices in the US that much because of the competition there is despite the fact the American currency has dropped significantly. Prices in America are only a bit higher than what they used to be a few years ago. Yet, Canada's currency didn't really drop, yet prices still continue to rise.

RogueJedi007 wrote:But I am looking at this years assortment of Star Wars Lego sets and it seems like there is little rhyme or reason to some of the prices and part ratios. All prices are in the Canadian $.

I agree with ricefields. Limited edition sets usually consist of a special unique figure which they will most likely never produce again. They used to be great value (i.e 7666 Hoth Rebel Base) but recently, they have become more expensive than standard sets (i.e Pirate Tank) due to the figures in them. Even toysrus being famous with prices higher than msrp, most (if not all) the new 2010 sets have not been marked up and is at retail like the swamp speeder for $40. This is most likely because prices are already much higher and the price increase has been much higher these few waves than previous ones.
BlueDragonZ

Postby RogueJedi007 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 am

ricefields wrote:

You forgot to mention the Bariss Offee minifig. I think that could be one of the contributors to the hike on the swamp speeder compared to the freeco speeder and other sets. I bet this one minifig will be unique (ie no future sets will include Bariss) and lego knew to capitalize on the retail cost of this set.

Ok but do we really know that the Bariss minifig will not be in any more sets in the future? I don't think so. The Ahsoka's Fighter set was an overpriced store exclusive but the Ahsoka minifig was in the ATTE. And her red droid was exclusive but does that warrent a high price for the set? No. Neither does the Bariss minifig, since the minifig uses existing parts with no new pieces, just new printing on standard Lego pieces. As I have said, I would understand paying more for a set with new Lego pieces (Ackbar's head for instance) but I do not understand paying more for a unique printed Lego piece. How is that any different in cost than Lego printing 1 million Lego Clone minifigs compared to printing 1 million Lego Bariss Offee minifigs?
RogueJedi007

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:46 am

The cost of the printing itself isn't any different, but don't be so naive to think that's the only cost.

There's the cost of designing the print, redesigning it, putting it into a computer etc. Start up costs can add a lot to a set.
Master Fetty

Postby RogueJedi007 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:52 am

Master Fetty wrote:The cost of the printing itself isn't any different, but don't be so naive to think that's the only cost.

There's the cost of designing the print, redesigning it, putting it into a computer etc. Start up costs can add a lot to a set.

I am guessing all that is done by employees of Lego or one of George Lucas' affiliate companies and the printed parts on a Star Wars minifig take as long as say a printed minifig in the new Pirates, Toy Story or Space Police line.

Sorry I have to disagree. I don't see how designing and redesigning a printed Lego piece would increase a price of a set, unless Lego pays their graphic design employees by the design, including unused ones. Unless I am being naive. ;)
Last edited by RogueJedi007 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogueJedi007

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:09 pm

You missed off the ;) there.

With Star Wars, you've got to get a likeness to 'something', which adds extra stages to the chain.

But it's not like the set defies convention; exclusives with exclusive figures always have higher price per piece ratios.
Master Fetty

Postby RogueJedi007 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Master Fetty wrote:You missed off the ;) there.

With Star Wars, you've got to get a likeness to 'something', which adds extra stages to the chain.

But it's not like the set defies convention; exclusives with exclusive figures always have higher price per piece ratios.

I do agree that since the SW characters are based off actual people and actors there is more involved. And I agree that in the past and present the sets with exclusive figures cost more, which is only due to Lego creating what figures are rare and which are not. They could easily create a new Bespin Battle Pack with Lando, printed Boba Fett, Golden C3PO, Chrome Vader and make those figures easy to get without spending a ton. Lego is creating rare and collectable minifigs which is part of the problem with other Star Wars figures, and I had hoped Lego was above doing that.
RogueJedi007

Postby mr_joshua » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:15 pm

I don't think they are creating rare and collectible minifigs...I love every single part of Jango fett's Slave I set and am glad I decided to fork over the 50 bucks for it when it was new. Lego alone can't create a collectible item....its the collectors that are addicted to minifigs that help dictate the rareness and price of the figs. Don't hold your breath on the whole 'rare' issue either. I remember the orginal EPII clones being in such high demand (and price) a few years back...now you can get the new version in a 10 buck battlepack.
mr_joshua

Postby ricefields » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:34 pm

RogueJedi007 wrote:Ok but do we really know that the Bariss minifig will not be in any more sets in the future? I don't think so. The Ahsoka's Fighter set was an overpriced store exclusive but the Ahsoka minifig was in the ATTE. And her red droid was exclusive but does that warrent a high price for the set? No. Neither does the Bariss minifig, since the minifig uses existing parts with no new pieces, just new printing on standard Lego pieces. As I have said, I would understand paying more for a set with new Lego pieces (Ackbar's head for instance) but I do not understand paying more for a unique printed Lego piece. How is that any different in cost than Lego printing 1 million Lego Clone minifigs compared to printing 1 million Lego Bariss Offee minifigs

I think the ahsoka fighter was overpriced not because of ahsoka but because of the red droid (which I think its safe to say you won't find it in any future set) and the two long printed pieces (which is also unique to this set) and the fact that it was a wal mart exclusive. Exclusives obviously have less stock made, thus driving up the per unit costs. I think printed pieces must be more expensive than we think. Lego, for a long time, was stuck on certain prices for sets. for each line/collection, there had to be a 19.99 set, a 29.99 set, a 39.99 set, and so one. We were so use to that pricing scheme to the point that if anyone sold in between, you knew they were jacking up the msrp! They probably thought this would have been steal at 29.99 and lego rarely prices anything at $34.99 so next in line was 39.99. Unfortunately for cdns, exchange rate during mfg was not that good at that time, so we got ding with 54.99 instead of 49.99. But even at 49.99 it was overpriced.

I believe the only 34.99 sets ever made in star wars was the 7166 imperial shuttle and 6208 B wing fighter).

OK I might look foolish in the future but I will say the swamp speeder will be the only set to contain bariss ofee! Magnets don't count...
ricefields

Previous

Return to Star Wars