Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The guns steve the guns...

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

The guns steve the guns...

Postby RocketClone » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:21 am

Ive always had this question when i got my first police set. Why don't the policemen have guns included with their sets?
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Re: The guns steve the guns...

Postby Jabba the Taff » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:47 am

Cos they're British police. Or something like that.

Seriously, it's (or was) just a Lego policy that they didn't want to have anything to do with guns or the military.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15 am

Jabba the Taff wrote:Cos they're British police. Or something like that.

Seriously, it's (or was) just a Lego policy that they didn't want to have anything to do with guns or the military.

Explain Star Wars and all the indy and andventures sets etc. that had guns or army people.
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby The Brain » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am

They're licensed themes, and as partners with other groups, have to make accurate representations of said themes (SW blasters, Russian soldiers guns, etc.)

Even some sets like the adventurers theme had guns, but again, those are very similar to licensed themes (just ones that are made by LEGO). If you've noticed, they never had and never will have any guns in any "real"-themed sets, i.e. City or Trains.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby meeotch » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:36 am

Although it would be a sweet theme: LEGO Inner City. Imagine the possibilities! LEGO Uzi! Lego El Camino! LEGO do-rags!
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby liquidcross » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:56 am

meeotch wrote:Although it would be a sweet theme: LEGO Inner City. Imagine the possibilities! LEGO Uzi! Lego El Camino! LEGO do-rags!

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. ;)
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby legodavee123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Obi-Wan Skywalker wrote:Explain Star Wars and all the indy and andventures sets etc. that had guns or army people.

You don't seriously expect LEGO to be 100% consistent with everything across the board, do you? LEGO City is a separate product line from LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Adventurers, LEGO Agents, LEGO Batman, etc. Each product is evaluated continually-- what LEGO City is this year is quite different from what it was in years past, and what it will be in future years. Quite obviously, the decision from the LEGO marketing department is that LEGO City police should not have guns, presumably because they want to tone down the violence within that theme. It doesn't mean that LEGO City will ALWAYS be without guns, it just means that for their current assessment of the line, guns are believed to be too violent and/or unnecessary.

For many years, LEGO was against having any weapons at all-- but that clearly changed in the late 1970's, when LEGO released a "gun" in 1976, and axes, swords, and lances in 1978. For a long time, "weapons" in space were deemed "tools", and LEGO's official stance was that they were avoiding "modern" weapons across all of their themes (despite the one anachronism in 1976 with a "gun"), until 1996, when "Wild West" introduced revolvers and rifles, which were arguably still in a historic context. Since then, the line has progressively blurred as modern weapons have "forced" their way into licensed themes, but they've also leaked into other non-licensed themes like Dino Attack and Agents.

Hence, what started as a company-wide policy that all LEGO products tried to stand behind gradually became more fuzzy. And now, each line is treated more as a distinct entity, with its own policies about how to deal with LEGO violence. And LEGO City has apparently decided NOT to include guns with its police officers. Whether this is because it's attempting to be less violent, avoid extra elements, prevent confusion with other lines, or some other reason entirely (like mimicking Britain's police system), we may not ever know.

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby meeotch » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:51 pm

liquidcross wrote:
meeotch wrote:Although it would be a sweet theme: LEGO Inner City. Imagine the possibilities! LEGO Uzi! Lego El Camino! LEGO do-rags!

You're right. LEGO submachine gun! LEGO drive-by car! LEGO pantyhose-foot-to-apply-to-your-greasy-head!
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Mr.legoman123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:51 pm

liquidcross wrote:

Even better: Lego Grand Theft Auto. I completly understand why Lego wouldn't do it, but I'm just dreaming. We would get Both cool cars and cool guns.
NO ONE CARES ABOUT HOW YOUR DAD SHAVES HIS LEGS!!!!
Mr.legoman123

Postby Bulls_Eye » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Obi-Wan Skywalker wrote:Explain Star Wars

Maybe it was before you started collecting, but originally the Star Wars sets all had megaphones for guns.
Bulls_Eye

Postby RocketClone » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:07 pm

^^ Yes it took TLG a long time to realize that i'd be hard to imaginate a LSW fight scene if all you had were megaphones. :lol:
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby Jargon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:17 pm

I pity your "imaginating" skills.
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Bulls_Eye wrote:originally the Star Wars sets all had megaphones for guns.

I kinda miss that. :(
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby The Brain » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:01 pm

I much prefer the new blasters, but it does sort of detract from the sort of LEGO-y part of it, ya know? Especially now that it looks funky to combine megaphone blasters and the current ones, so it's hard to amass enough to equip my older figs. :|
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Coret » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:58 pm

legodavee123 wrote:For many years, LEGO was against having any weapons at all-- but that clearly changed in the late 1970's, when LEGO released a "gun" in 1976, and axes, swords, and lances in 1978. For a long time, "weapons" in space were deemed "tools", and LEGO's official stance was that they were avoiding "modern" weapons across all of their themes (despite the one anachronism in 1976 with a "gun"), until 1996, when "Wild West" introduced revolvers and rifles, which were arguably still in a historic context. Since then, the line has progressively blurred as modern weapons have "forced" their way into licensed themes, but they've also leaked into other non-licensed themes like Dino Attack and Agents.

So what are those things the Pirates used back in 1989, if the Wild West introduced guns. Sorry, it was just bugging me since you seemed to just skip over them.
Coret

Postby legodavee123 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Coret wrote:So what are those things the Pirates used back in 1989, if the Wild West introduced guns. Sorry, it was just bugging me since you seemed to just skip over them.

I was referring to "modern" looking weapons-- the blunderbuss and flintlock pistols in the pirates lines hardly looked very modern. Effectively, LEGO didn't want things like tanks, handguns, howitzers, etc., so they stated that they didn't want any "modern" weaponry in their sets. That's why things like the axes and spears in castle sets were allowed, as well as pirate guns and cannons, as well as futuristic laser guns that obviously showed up in space sets. Effectively, the weapons in Wild West were pretty much identical to modern guns. A revolver looks pretty similar to a modern handgun, and the rifles from the theme you'd be hard pressed to identify as being specific to the 19th century rather than the 20th or even 21st century rifles. The revolver you could make a case for being "historical" since modern handguns don't typically have the same mechanism, but it's pretty fine line. The pirate weapons, by contrast, are (IMHO) distinctly "non-modern".

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby Jargon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:56 pm

LEGO's shifting position on this issue is an interesting example of the slippery slope of justification. I don't particularly have a problem with this, but it is interesting.
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby Solo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:14 am

Except nothing in this thread is from Lego, it's all assumptions and fan rationalizations.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:56 am

Mr.legoman123 wrote:Even better: Lego Grand Theft Auto. I completly understand why Lego wouldn't do it, but I'm just dreaming. We would get Both cool cars and cool guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMY9VlMIEJk :D
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Return to Ask LEGO