Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Star Wars] Republic Y-Wing

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Star Wars] Republic Y-Wing

Postby xadrian » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:00 am

First MOC post on FBTB. Hello everyone. :)

I wanted to get better photos, but we had a play date yesterday and a few of my sets were...heavily played with. But here it is anyway.

I based this off some online images of the Republic Y-Wing seen on the Clone Wars cartoon. It seems big in comparison to the official 2009 set, but personally I think as a fighter/bomber craft it's about the right size. I could be wrong.

You can see the whole set here, with a few little additional service accessories to go with it.
xadrian

Re: [Star Wars] Republic Y-Wing

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 am

Well, you've got the basics and the colour schem right on, but I think it's way too big. Your nacelles, cool as they are, are almost twice as big as they should be, and while using a 6-wide bubble dome for the turret is a simple solution, it's too big. Also, the nose is too long and seems too thin, and the back hump is a bit messy.

Sorry to be so negative, especially on your firrst post here, but it could do with shrinking it up some if you want it to be minifig scale...
Jake

Postby xadrian » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Thank you for the input. I don't know really the difference between minifig scale and the scale of what the design of the ship looked to be. If minifig scale is something built from S@H then yes this is entirely too big. ;)
xadrian

Postby Pepa Quin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 am

Hey, Xadrian,

I like this MOC but Jake does have a point - it looks huge! :)

Here's something that might help you out:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-B_Y-wing_starfighter
It says the ship is 23.4 meters long, which is roughly 76.5 feet.

There's many scales you can use - I often use a scale of 1 foot to 1 stud. How does this compare to yours?

Good work overall, though!
-Matt
Pepa Quin

Postby xadrian » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:42 am

Well, if I find specs on a ship that has dimensions, I try to do 1 meter = 1 inch, so a 14m length would be 14 inches. That's for what I guess would be minifig scale if a person is roughly 1.5m and a minifig is just over an inch.

That was part of my problem with this design. The dimensions giving on wookiepedia seemed really short when looking at the CG rendering they used in the show. The dimensions say 23 meters which should have been 23 inches here, but mine is about 32 inches.

But then I looked at this and it doesn't seem like 23 meters.

http://flickr.com/photos/rocketseason/2947424661/

But yeah, it was big. :)

And going back to what Jake said, that back end is a mess. I had some nice sloped white plates but they still have the gunship decals on them and I didn't want to mess up the colors.

Learning process, hehe.
xadrian

Postby Gold_2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:36 pm

Going back to the Wookiepedia article, and something I believe written on one of Decipher's SWCCG Y-Wing cards, the Y-Wings from Ep. IV were basically the Republic Y-Wing with most of the panels removed. I believe Decipher added the reason: they had so many mechanical problems the Rebel maintenance crews just left the panels off to shorten repair times.

Wookiepedia says:
When Joe Johnston refined the Colin Cantwell and Ralph McQuarrie Rebel Alliance Y-wing designs for construction into a visual effects model for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, he posited that the starship was once a sleek vessel that was chopped and stripped like a hot rod by Rebel Alliance technicians. The BTL-B is apparently the stock version of the "stripped-down" Rebel ships.

So the Republic Y-Wing should have the same lines and size as the later Y-Wing. The biggest thing I'm seeing, as far as accuracy goes, is the nacelles being raised a bit from where they should be. But its a pretty good start, and it looks fun to play with. Nice job. :)
Gold_2

Postby Teekay » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:43 pm

If this is a UCS model, the nose just needs to be longer. If this is a minifig scale model, it's quite a bit too big.

PSSST!!!! Just stick with UCS!

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby Veers » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:32 am

Now THAT's a bomber!
But if you're trying to match scale, you should definately take it down a couple sizes.
Or you could keep it this way and say it's a new and improved super bomber ;)
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase