Update: LEGO finally sent us the rest of the images. They are added below with the press release after the jump.
Apparently today is Simpsons’s day, and news of the next “big” set is here. The Kwik-E-Mart is probably the most iconic Simpson’s building that’s not a nuclear power plant, so this one is pretty exciting. Well, until you see that it’s going to be $199 and include mostly repeat characters (adding only Snake, though the printing for Apu looks different).
I keep meaning to buy the house, but it’s hard to drop that kind of cash when there are things like Slave I, modulars, and a kajillion other sets around. This one at least looks better than the house, and features a lot of the modular playset designs, like removable walls and sections. I’d love to get a better look at the interior and see how it shapes out, but I also wish it would have included some different characters like Jimbo, Kearney, or Dolph.
I do have to admit, I kind of want to get this just so I can put some gas pumps out front, and then blow them up in fantastic fashion, as in Sweet Seymour Skinner’s Baadasssss Song from season 5. Which was on the air 21 years ago. And I watched it live.
These sets make me feel so old…
Anyway, 71016 Kwik-E-Mart will be available May 1st, run you $199.99 USD, and comes with 2179 parts.
71016 The Kwik-E-Mart
Ages 12+. 2,179 pieces.
US $199.99 – CA $229.99 – DE 199.99€ – UK £169.99 – DK 1699.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Visit The Kwik-E-Mart—Springfield’s favorite convenience store!
Welcome to The Kwik-E-Mart—your one-stop shop for convenience foods at inconvenient prices! This highly detailed and iconic LEGO® version of The Simpsons™ store is packed with more rich, colorful details than a Mr. Burns birthday cake has candles! Walk under the huge Kwik-E-Mart sign and join Homer, Marge and Bart as they browse the aisles filled with beauty products, diapers, dog food, pastries, fruits, vegetables and more—including Krusty-O’s and Chef Lonelyheart’s Soup for One. Then head over to the refrigerated cases where you’ll find Buzz Cola, chocolate milk, various other drinks and snacks… and frozen Jasper! There’s also a Buzz Cola soda fountain, juice dispensers, coffee machine, arcade games, ATM and stacks of Powersauce boxes. At the counter, Apu is ready to tempt you with a variety of printed magazines, comic books, cards, tofu hot dogs, freshly expired donuts and his ever-popular hallucination-inducing Squishees. At the back, there’s a storage closet complete with rat and an exit. On the roof you’ll discover Apu’s secret vegetable garden, while outside this amazing model features bright-yellow walls, 2 phone booths, a stack of purple crates, and a dumpster area with ‘El Barto’ graffiti, opening door and an iconic blue dumpster that also opens. You can also remove the roof and open out the rear walls for easy access. This set also includes Snake (a.k.a. Jailbird), who loves nothing more than stealing cars and robbing the Kwik-E-Mart—but this time Chief Wiggum is hot on his tail in his police car. Capture this bandit and return peace to the town of Springfield and the amazing Kwik-E-Mart. This fantastic set includes 6 minifigures with assorted accessory elements: Homer Simpson, Bart Simpson, Marge Simpson, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Chief Wiggum and Snake (a.k.a. Jailbird).
• Set includes 6 minifigures with assorted accessory elements: Homer Simpson, Bart Simpson, Marge Simpson, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Chief Wiggum and Snake (a.k.a. Jailbird)
• Features opening rear walls, a removable roof with secret vegetable garden, Kwik-E-Mart signage, light-blue walls, dusty blue floors, turquoise welcome mat, shelves, refrigerated cases, counter, Buzz Cola soda fountain, juice dispensers, coffee machine, 2 arcade games, ATM, crates of Powersauce bars, surveillance cameras, rear storage closet with a rat, cheese, rat hole and an exit door.
• Shelves feature beauty products, diapers, dog food, pastries, fruits, vegetables and more—including Krusty-O’s and Chef Lonelyheart’s Soup for One
• Refrigerator cabinets feature a variety of beverages including cans of Buzz Cola… and frozen Jasper!
• Counter features a cash register, magazine and card display, lottery machine, hot dog oven, donut display and a Squishee dispenser with 2 Squishees
• Also includes Chief Wiggum’s police car featuring an opening trunk, removable roof and space for 3 minifigures
• Accessory elements include Bart’s spray can, Marge’s shopping basket, Apu’s broom and Chief Wiggum’s cuffs and truncheon
• Snake (a.k.a. Jailbird) is exclusive to this set for fall 2015
• Removable roof features rare, dark-orange bricks
• Lift off the roof and open out the rear walls for easy access
• Drink a Squishee and get that sugar-high feeling!
• Apprehend Snake before he robs again!
• Stock up with overpriced convenience goods
• Discover frozen Jasper!
• Relax in Apu’s utopian vegetable garden
• Have a donut…. mmm, dooonuts!
• Kwik-E-Mart measures over 5″ (14cm) high, 14″ (38cm) wide and 10″ (27cm) deep
• Police car measures over 2″ (6cm) high, 2″ (6cm) wide and 5″ (15cm) deep
Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning
May 2015 via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO® Stores or via phone.