After much consternation from the lack of a Direct announcement over the past 48 hours, Nintendo finally announced a Direct mini. If you’re not in the know, a Nintendo Direct is a way for Nintendo to officially announce upcoming games. This one they labeled as a “mini” so it was a quick 15-minute video with some announcements on their upcoming Switch releases. And, boy, were those announcements GREAT! Here is a list of stuff they covered but be warned there are spoilers below. Go watch the video if you’d rather be surprised yourself:
- The World Ends With You: Final Remix is remastered for Nintendo Switch with new Epilogue level.
- Aegislash and Blastoise join the roster in Pokken Tournament DX as paid DLC.
- Kirby Star Allies features four-player co-op and will be released on March 16th.
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition will be re-released for the Switch platform and will include all of the DLC for free including two new characters of Link and Zelda based on their appearance in Breath of the Wild.
- Mario Tennis Aces seems like it’s the original Game Boy Advance Mario Tennis game but on steroids. And I am HYPED! And it has nothing to do with the face that my name appears in the game title. Absolutely nothing…
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA. I know nothing about the Ys games.
- Super Mario Odyssey is getting an update that will include a new game mode, Balloon World. After you’ve completed the main game, find Luigi and partake in aÂ balloon-themed hide-and-seek game.
- Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy by SNK puts all of their female characters into one fighting game. SNK has a long history of fun fighting games, so this one should be good.
- Donkey Kong joins the crew in Mario + Rabids: Kingdom Battle.
- PAYDAY 2 will debut with a timed-exclusive character, Joy.
- Fe and Celeste were announced at the same time. I know little of these games but seem interesting.
- Funky Kong joins the Kong gang in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze headed to the Switch.
- Dark Souls Remastered is coming to Nintendo Switch on May 25th!
These are just the smaller games that are coming out this year. And it’s only January! More news to come as the year goes on and especially at E3.