Here’s this morning’s Direct in its entirety in case you missed it.
If you can’t or don’t care to watch, here are the highlights.
- Pokemon Sword and Shield has a worldwide release date of November 15th, 2019.
- A double pack with both games will be available. It is up for pre-order at Best Buy and GameStop. If you’re weird and not into buying both games at once, you can get them individually: Pokemon Sword [BB | GS] Pokemon Shield [BB | GS]
- The two legendary pokemon have been revealed:
- The box art has been revealed:
- Dynamax. Certain areas of the Galar region, like gyms, will allow pokemon to dynamax, which means the pokemon will grow to enormous sizes. They will also get a boost in power, making them stronger in battles. While Dynamaxed, their moves turn into special “Max Moves”. The effect lasts for three turns and only happens once in battle (it just sounds like a different take on Mega evolution).
- Some pokemon encounters will pit a player against a dynamaxed pokemon. You will be able to team up with 3 other people on either local wireless or over the internet to bring it down. It sounds a lot like raid battles from Pokemon GO. Encounters with dynamaxed pokemon will see the pokmen remain giant-sized for the duration of the battle.
- There is a region in Galar called the Wild Area. It connects several towns together, and is an area filled with all sorts of pokemon, more than any other area.
- The camera is now free floating and the game truly does feel like a full 3D game.
That’s all I can think of for now. I’m going to rewatch the Direct later. I was hoping some details on a special edition would be shared, but no such luck; just the double pack which has been standard for Pokemon games for some time now. Maybe one will be announced later.
For more details, like info on some of the new pokemon from Sword and Shield, check out the official Pokemon twitter feed.