The other day, StarWars.com posted an article about the upcoming digital and physical releases of The Rise of Skywalker. Here’s the breakdown.
The Rise of Skywalker Digital Release
The Rise of Skywalker will be released digitally on March 17th. As its customary for new film releases, this is two weeks ahead of the physical release. It will be available in HD and 4k Ultra HD. It has a bunch of the same features as the physical release except the following:
The Maestro’s Finale – Composer John Williams reflects on his body of work for the Star Wars saga and shares insights on scoring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
It makes no difference which retailer you buy the digital movie from. With Movies Anywhere, your purchase will be available on most devices and platforms.
The Rise of Skywalker Physical Release
As usual, the majore retailers each have their own exclusive version, all set to be released on March 31st both online and in-store.
Best Buy came out on top with not only one, but two exclusives.
First up is a SteelBook with some iconic scenes on both the inside and outside of the case. The asking price for the The Rise of Skywalker SteelBook is $34.99. This bundle has the 4k UHD, Blu-ray, and Digital Code.
Their other, way better exclusive is this:
This is THE deal to get: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga contains ALL NINE movies in 4k. This is the first time any of the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy films have been released in UHD. This should be the Maclunkey cut unless Lucasfilm messed with that scene again. Outside of Disney+ this is the only way to watch, let alone own, all 9 movies in UHD. Not only will you get physical discs, but you’ll also get digital copies as part of the bundle. But wait, there’s more! You’ll also get what looks like an art book and some sort of letter. Details are scant on what they are exactly, but the proof is in the picture. The price for the Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is $249.99. Again, this is exclusive to Best Buy.
The Target exclusive of The Rise of Skywalker 4k UHD – Blu-ray – Digital Code bundle throws in a Filmmaker Gallery Book. There is also some exclusive content but the site doesn’t list exactly what that might be. They are asking for $34.99 before any REDCard discount.
Walmart’s exclusive Episode IX bundle has a neat gatefold opening that holds all of the discs inside. Their price is $34.96.
Don’t have a 4k TV? I just noticed this 9-film Blu-ray package from Walmart for $129.99. You get 18 discs of movies and bonus content inside a nice display box:
Non-exclusive Vanilla TROS Version
If the exclusives aren’t your cup of tea, you can always opt for the vanilla versions.
4k / Blu-ray / Digital Code version “Ultimate Collector’s Edition” is $29.99. Buy from Best Buy | Target | Walmart
No matter which version you choose, they all contain the following features:
- The Skywalker Legacy – The story lives forever in this feature-length documentary that charts the making of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
- Pasaana Pursuit: Creating the Speeder Chase – Dive into the making of the movie’s epic landspeeder chase and discover how this spectacular sequence was brought to the screen.
- Aliens in the Desert – See what it took to create the Pasaana desert scenes, from the sheer scale and complexity of the shoot to its colorful details.
- D-O: Key to the Past – Explore the ship that connects Rey to the mystery of her missing parents and get to know the galaxy’s newest, irresistible droid.
- Warwick & Son – Warwick Davis, who played Wicket in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, dons the Ewok costume once more; this time joined by his son Harrison.
- Cast of Creatures – The team behind the film’s memorable creatures reveal the puppetry, makeup, prosthetics and digital magic that bring them to life!
tl;dr: The Rise of Skwyalker comes out on digital platforms on 3/17, physical on 3/31.
Tons of purchasing options. If you click through any of the links above and make a purchase, FBTB may earn a small commission. And as always, FBTB greatly appreciates your continued support.
Images lifted from the StarWars.com post The End of the Skywalker Saga, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Comes Home and various retailer product pages.