Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO DC Super Heroes Cosmic Clash Trailer, Box Art, and Minifig Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO DC Super Heroes Cosmic Clash Trailer, Box Art, and Minifig Revealed

Postby Staff » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:16 pm

It's Cosmic Boy! I have no idea who this guy is! He is the free minifigure pack-in with the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital copy set of the upcoming LEGO DC Super Heroes Justice League: Cosmic Clash. Personally, I think LEGO and DC releasing minifigures this way is genius. You get an animated movie for the kids and a minifigure of a character that would probably wouldn't see the light of day in a normal set for you (or for the kids). Win win.

The trailer was released exclusively to The Nerdist the other day. But the embed didn't work for me for some reason. Here's a YouTube source:

The release date for Cosmic Clash has been set for March 16th, 2016.

No pre-order information yet, not even Amazon. I'll post when I find something out though.
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/lego-dc-comics-super-heroes/2015/12/08/lego-dc-super-heroes-cosmic-clash-trailer-box-art-and-minifig-revealed/
Staff

Re: LEGO DC Super Heroes Cosmic Clash Trailer, Box Art, and

Postby Solo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Image
Solo

Postby onions » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:26 pm

I blame firefox. i updated the post.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:19 pm

The true genius aspect is they don't see a slew of articles exposing how rigged the giveaway process is, people aren't posting them to eBay literally seconds after making skin-on-package contact, and (best part) I can easily get my hands on a couple at a time if I want.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby onions » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:29 pm

we have lightning lad from the minifigure box. cosmic boy from the dvd. i'm guessing we'll never ever see a saturn girl.

insert sad face here.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby PurpleDave » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:47 am

onions wrote:we have lightning lad from the minifigure box. cosmic boy from the dvd. i'm guessing we'll never ever see a saturn girl.

Sure we will. In San Diego.
PurpleDave

Postby onions » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks for reminding me, i've been meaning to post this link for awhile now. But when i see crap like this i can't help but post about a broken system.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby PurpleDave » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:06 pm

onions wrote:Thanks for reminding me, i've been meaning to post this link for awhile now. But when i see crap like this i can't help but post about a broken system.

So remember how The LEGO Company protested that it was so impossible for them to even rig the giveaway, in spite of multiple eyewitness accounts of the exact same shenanigans, and a three-part article that was practically an entire book explaining in ridiculous detail exactly how they could, and apparently did, do just that? Turns out they didn't. The people working the booth aren't on LEGO payroll at all. They all get borrowed from LEGOLAND, CA, which means they all work for Merlin. And that means that TLC has zero oversight on how the whole giveaway is managed. I've heard from more than one person that they've had SDCC minifigs slipped to them in the past, and last year's story of how someone was spotted walking around with a bag stuffed full of the Collector a full day before it was on the schedule makes me wonder if some of the LLCA employees might be making some side deals for cash. If they've got friends who they feel like tossing a freebie to, that's hard to track, but letting a whole bag casually walk away during event hours? It's clear that it wasn't just a case of sticky fingers, or they wouldn't be showing it off to people waiting in line. And I could see someone finding maybe a couple people who would sell them the same minifig way below market price, but c'mon. It's been a few years now, and SDCC is infamous for being plagued by people who do nothing but flip highly desirable freebies for large payouts, and everyone who knows about SDCC minifigs should be well aware that the starting rate is in the $300 range. Anyone selling that many and not taking a loss on it is either getting them in bulk like the Collector guy, or they're fakes.
PurpleDave

Postby onions » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 pm

yes it is true they borrow from legoland's workforce for manpower but the thing is those employees are representing LEGO as a company and unfortunately reflect the company's image. so whatever goes on with backdoor deals does nothing but tarnish the brand and the experience with the brand. it's not hard to do the giveaways fair and square with full transparency. i'm just surprised LEGO hasn't figured it out yet.

yes it's been a few years, and this past summer's con was probably the smoothest yet, but i'm not the one to bring up the topic.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby PurpleDave » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:48 am

onions wrote:yes it is true they borrow from legoland's workforce for manpower but the thing is those employees are representing LEGO as a company and unfortunately reflect the company's image. so whatever goes on with backdoor deals does nothing but tarnish the brand and the experience with the brand. it's not hard to do the giveaways fair and square with full transparency. i'm just surprised LEGO hasn't figured it out yet.

That's exactly the problem. As long as it's being done in their name, they kinda need to have someone on site who is being held accountable for making sure stuff like that stops happening, and looking for ways to improve the process each year.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:25 pm

So... here's a question on it. Does it actually hurt LEGO's brand? Anyone here stop buying LEGO sets because of it, or going to their stores? We're already a small little sliver of their market, and SDCC is a tiny little sliver of our market. Sure, it's a bit of bad press in our circle, but if there's no repercussions from that bad press, what motive do they have to stop?
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:10 pm

What motive do they have to continue? I've never really understood the point of con-exclusives, anyway, especially poorly handled ones.

Sure, they may not hurt the companies that do them, since those directly effected are a tiny sliver of their customer base, but by that exact same logic, how much can it HELP them?

Doing it badly presumably squanders whatever GOOD will that would come from the tiny fragment of their customer base that actually pays any attention to such conventions, so what do they gain? Why do the exclusives at all? (For that matter, why go to the convention in the first place? I can see toy specific conventions, but ComicCon? How much can the presence of a LEGO booth at SDCC possibly benefit them?)

I mean, I have to assume that it must measurably benefit them, or they wouldn't keep doing it, right? I assume I'm just showing my ignorance by not getting it.
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Mister Ed wrote:What motive do they have to continue?

hype
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby dWhisper » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Ultimately, the draw of exclusives gets people into the booth and onsite store as well to purchase sets. A good chunk are AFOLs, but I'm willing to bet a sizable portion are not, so those are additional sales and a chance to grow the tiny sliver of a market ever slightly. And those people likely don't know or care about the shenanigans at all, it's just a cool exclusive like a lot of other cool exclusives.

Seems like there's a lot of upside to them in that sense. At worst, someone who doesn't buy won't buy. AFOLs are going to keep buying because we buy anyway. It's also a way for LEGO to get sets to people without taking them out of the regular supply chain (which I covered in an article a couple of months ago, is actually really important for them... they want sets on shelves for kids over anything else).

The bad press is limited, and it's presence to a market they could can entice but normally wouldn't.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:44 pm

dWhisper wrote:So... here's a question on it. Does it actually hurt LEGO's brand?

It does, but not enough. How many AFOLs like to be completists with their favorite themes? How many of those people have given up on buying everything because of a handful of minifigs? And how many have decided to devote a substantial chunk of their LEGO budget to buying those minifigs instead of anything else that they'd actually be buying through regular retail channels? All of that negatively impacts their bottom line. But the kids who get excited about yet another thing that they will never own and channel that into actually buying something affordable in the same theme buy well more than enough to make up for us.

Besides that, I have it on good authority that the marketing team that's behind the SDCC minifigs doesn't care about the fact that most of them end up paying the utility bills at eBay, or that there's astronomically more demand than there is supply. They serve their intended purpose, and that's all marketing cares about. The company is just starting to acknowledge that AFOLs are a solid chunk of their overall business, and it's going to be a long time before our displeasure factors into things of this nature.
PurpleDave

Return to Licensed Themes