Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Themed Speeder Bikes Contest Announcement

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Themed Speeder Bikes Contest Announcement

Postby Solo » Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 am

Loki needs some more work but Thor is fine:
the rules wrote:Speeder bike design requirements:
  • A pair of steering/control vanes.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby DrMerlock » Fri May 20, 2016 12:58 pm

@solo, the long, grey poles on each side of Loki's speeder ARE the steering/control vanes.
DrMerlock

Postby banthafodder » Fri May 20, 2016 2:13 pm

I think that if you clipped a small panel onto the pole it would count as a control vane or something that could be imagined as being able to change the vehicle's direction in atmospheric flight. As it is now it could be confused with an antenna or ray gun.
banthafodder

Postby foximus-prime » Fri May 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Here's one of my entries. As requested by Ace some Power Miner Speeders!
ImageP-miner-speedz01 by Todd N, on Flickr
and more in here--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 532282334/
foximus-prime

Postby banthafodder » Fri May 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Really nice speeder bikes there
banthafodder

Postby Solo » Fri May 20, 2016 3:16 pm

In order to clear up any further misunderstandings about the control vane requirement I've made a helpful graphic featuring official sets:

Your bikes need something that passably resembles those common repeating features to qualify for our contest.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby westonkd » Fri May 20, 2016 3:37 pm

For my second entry: Batman and Superman!

Speeding through the streets of Metropolis and Gotham, Batman and Superman take their fight to a new level with speeders! Batman's speeder is a mix of a little old and a little new. Because superman can obviously fly, his speeder has no floor.

Batman's speeder

Side view of Batman's speeder

Superman's speeder, no floor needed!

Batman's speeder front view

More images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157668664780105
westonkd

Postby DrMerlock » Fri May 20, 2016 3:59 pm

I have added control vanes similar to the ones on Rey's speeder. I edited my previous post.
DrMerlock

Postby Solo » Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm

That'll do, thanks!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby rifflestein » Fri May 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Solo wrote:OK, so, that's great, but it opened up a can of worms. Or ants I guess. I've officially been overruled by Ace on my previous response excluding game figures because if we're going to allow tiny Ant Man, which we are, then the trophy figures from the Helicarrier set should also be allowed since they're just as much not minifigs as that Ant Man is even though I think everyone would agree it makes perfect sense in that one case because it was in a minifig set but the Helicarrier wasn't but whatever I've already lost that battle.

And so, by extension (since they're basically the same size as the trophies), game figures are fair game too. So have fun.

But that opens up another can of worms about handlebars, which are one of the three requirements. It's probably possible to do them at that scale, but the entry in question doesn't have any. I'm not trying to act like a judge, and I hate to point fingers at someone else's entry since I'm probably going to enter the contest, but I just think there should be consistency in the rules.

For further clarification, do they specifically have to be handlebars, or can they be any sort of control apparatus? I ask because the same entry has a steering wheel on the other bike.
rifflestein

Postby Solo » Fri May 20, 2016 7:29 pm

You're absolutely right. I was too busy arguing with Ace about the minifig/trophy issue and the lack of handlebars on both bikes slipped right by. Sorry for the false hope minimitch but neither of those qualify. Even if the figure can't grasp the handlebars correctly you still need to put the effort in. Picking a non-standard minifig that can't actually use them won't excuse you from that requirement. As for the handlebars, they don't need to be a specific handlebar element, you can use other parts to build them however you see fit like others have done so far. But steering wheels aren't handlebars.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby minimitch » Fri May 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Sorry. Your right. It's been fixed.
Thanks,
MM
minimitch

Postby Solo » Sat May 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Nice. I didn't even know those helmet bits fit in the ends of pneumatic Ts.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby jp-30 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:50 pm

My first entry - a Classic Space Speeder Bike combo (Classic Space vs. Blacktron).

FBTB.net Speeder Bike Contest entry by jp-30, on Flickr

More photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAfSLJt.
jp-30

Postby ted @ndes » Sun May 22, 2016 4:54 pm

This is a rather timely contest. I will also be hosting a collaboration table at BrickWorld Chicago (June 16-19) with a
Speeder Bike Rally theme, set in a "Tech West" environment. Anyone that would like to show off their speeder-bikes in the BW display, send me a message via flickr and I'll fill you in on the details...

...but obviously, FBTB StarWars Days June 4-5th gets first dibs at your bikes. Respect.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby banthafodder » Sun May 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Through a tragically misunderstood, garbled hologram transmission from Yoda to Mace Windu, a clown army first appeared on Geonosis. Equipped with the latest in circus armory, they showed up with a BRS (Big Red Shoe) speeder bike and a SF (Squirting Flower) bike. The BRS is designed to stomp out infantry lines with its heavy armor and massive "rib tickler" steering vanes. The SF bike is designed for peripheral attacks with a laughing liquid cannon that renders the enemy useless.ImageSend in the clown army by trochanter, on Flickr
BRS and SF bikes

ImageBRS speeder bike by trochanter, on Flickr
BRS front view
ImageBRS speeder bike by trochanter, on Flickr
BRS rear quarter view
ImageSquirting flower speeder bike by trochanter, on Flickr
SF bike side view
Thanks again for a great contest
banthafodder

Postby ted @ndes » Mon May 23, 2016 10:18 am

City - Arctic Themed Speederbikes - Snow Fox & Caribou

Snow Fox is the smaller bike, designed for more maneuverability and as short range personal transport.
Caribou is the "chopper", optimized to cover longer, strait-line distances, and at a higher velocity.

Flight Mode

Ski Mode

Underside

Rear view
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby graznador » Tue May 24, 2016 6:44 pm

How strict is the same theme limit? Let's say I want to build bikes for a doctor from a City set and the Collectible Minifig nurse. They go together thematically, but could be considered different themes.
graznador

Postby jp-30 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:44 pm

I think this post from Solo clears that up - what you propose should be fine.

Solo wrote:...you don't have to stick to one faction. For example, Space Police with Blacktron or Forestmen and Black Falcons work because they're rivals, but a space figure with a castle figure wouldn't make sense together. Make sense? Don't dwell too much on the theme itself, worry about the figures you're building for. Elaborating on my previous post above about CMFs, something like a monkey from the Pirates line paired with the dude in a banana suit would totally work.
jp-30

Postby ted @ndes » Tue May 24, 2016 8:35 pm

the deadline, which is 11:59PM PDT Monday June 7th 2016.

... Should that read:
- 11:59PM PDT Monday June 6th 2016, or
- 11:59PM PDT Tuesday June 7th 2016?
Last edited by ted @ndes on Wed May 25, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds