Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC the 80s! Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: MOC the 80s! Contest

Postby galac-brick empire » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:48 pm

"Hold it, Stiles, these waves are mine..."

Although technically not the favorite movie of my 80's childhood, Teen Wolf (1985) did feature Michael J. Fox all "wolfed out" and van-surfing through downtown atop Stile's "shabby-chic" Wolfmobile... look up "1980's iconic" in the visual dictionary and I am pretty sure that's included somewhere in the definition. Personally, I really wanted to build the "mail plane" from Three Amigos, the sailboat/Ferrari from One Crazy Summer, or the phone booth from Bill and Ted's, but maybe there will be a "floating and flying" version of the '80's MOC Contest somewhere down the road. This was a fun build: I've always wanted to use my Lego soccer baseplates in a new way, and purposefully mismatching the green and gray was a challenge in itself. Finally, my research led to some interesting findings about Teen Wolf: For example who would have thought the story was set in Nebraska (note the personalized license plates)?

Hope you enjoy, and I look forward to seeing the other submissions.

Last edited by galac-brick empire on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageGalack-Brick Empire– "What a long, strange build it's been..."
galac-brick empire

Postby Solo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Seems like the problem isn't with your OS, Flickr just doesn't give you the option to embed code for images that aren't public. There's no easy way around it unless you change the privacy settings on those.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Solo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:23 am

OK so here's the work-around for that problem with private photos:

Click the download button next to share link and click "view all sizes". Select the medium 500 or 640 sized image link, then right click on the photo to copy the url of the photo itself and paste it in here between the Img tags. I did this for your first photo, you can edit your post to do the rest if you want.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby galac-brick empire » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the help.
ImageGalack-Brick Empire– "What a long, strange build it's been..."
galac-brick empire

Postby Solo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Thin out your submission post a little-
the rules wrote:up to five photos

Also, if you change the image urls from _m.jpg to just .jpg they'll show up the same size as the first one.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Tiler » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:15 am

Mad Max – The Road Warrior: Snake Truck

Choosing the car to build was by far the toughest part for me, mainly because I didn't want to compromise on the size of the car, stance of the driver and so on. A minifig-size car that would fit a minifig at the same time was kind of "asking" for a truck of some sort, in my opinion. So here it is, the lead enemy car from the final chase scene in Mad Max 2: "The Road Warrior" (1981). And of course, Wez is there riding it like the mad dog of war he is.

ImageMad Max – The Road Warrior: Snake Truck by Calin, on Flickr

ImageMad Max – The Road Warrior: Snake Truck _06 by Calin, on Flickr

ImageMad Max – The Road Warrior: Snake Truck _05 by Calin, on Flickr

ImageMad Max – The Road Warrior: Snake Truck _04 by Calin, on Flickr

ImageMad Max – The Road Warrior: Snake Truck _03 by Calin, on Flickr

A couple of more shots, including some building tricks are available in my photostream for those interested. Enjoy and Good Luck to everyone!
Tiler

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:27 am

Tiler wrote:Mad Max – The Road Warrior: Snake Truck

Wow, I was actually watching this last night and thinking something from the film would be someones entry. Nicely done it is.
Boyfromvalley

Postby MProoveIt » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Trooper10 wrote:Bluesmobile
Tonight only, the fabulous Blues Brothers. Rhythm and Blues review. The Palace Hotel Ballroom. Route 16. Lake Wazzapamani. The fabulous Blues Brothers show band and review. And it's ladies night [pause] tonight at the Palace Hotel Ballroom.

I'd buy this before Ecto 1. Excellent!
MProoveIt

Postby jp-30 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Some nice models being posted!

I'm suffering from Bricklink anxiety - waiting on 3 different packages to help with my entry. Gonna be some design vision compromises if they don't arrive in the next 48 hours!
jp-30

Postby naugem » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:51 pm

Seeing some unexpected entries, some of which didn't even cross my mind. Very nice!

Mine is almost finished, just need to apply some stickers. But I have a question about that. Since custom stickers are allowed, is it OK to cut official stickers?
naugem

Postby dWhisper » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:28 am

naugem wrote:Seeing some unexpected entries, some of which didn't even cross my mind. Very nice!

Mine is almost finished, just need to apply some stickers. But I have a question about that. Since custom stickers are allowed, is it OK to cut official stickers?

I believe this was answered already, but no. That would count as part modification, which is not allowed.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby jp-30 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:58 pm

That's not how I read it.

Custom stickers are allowed, so by trimming an official sticker, you are creating a custom sticker. The restriction is on unofficial or customised parts (ie bricks etc).

What's the difference between cutting an official sticker, or photocopying an official sticker onto sticker paper, then trimming / cutting the copy (apart from the huge waste of time, and inferior results)?
jp-30

Postby banthafodder » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:39 pm

I have to agree, if any stickers are allowed then a modified official sticker should be fair game.
banthafodder

Postby dWhisper » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Eh, I'm not thinking we're going to be as picky on the stickers. As long as Solo doesn't have any objections, I say modify away...
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm cool with cutting official stickers to create custom ones for this contest. jp-30's reasoning is sound.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby tankm » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:25 am

MOC of Batmobile from the Batman Movie (1989).

ImagetkmBatman89-01fb by tankm, on Flickr

With sliding canopy
ImagetkmBatman89-02fb by tankm, on Flickr

Back view
ImagetkmBatman89-03fb by tankm, on Flickr

Top view
ImagetkmBatman89-04fb by tankm, on Flickr

Side View
ImagetkmBatman89-05fb by tankm, on Flickr

Additional photos in my Flickr Album
https://flic.kr/s/aHskmm3TGD
Last edited by tankm on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tankm

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:47 am

Nice work, but you need to remove the text in your submission photos per our standard photo restrictions:
The rules wrote:Photography note: be sure to submit the best pictures possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photos cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models - not your image manipulation prowess. If you wind up submitting your model to Lego Ideas after the poll has ended, you're obviously welcome to further enhance your photos however you wish.

You're all set now, thanks!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby graznador » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:44 pm

The Hanna-Barbera cartoon character is ready to race in LEGO form!

Speed Buggy features ball-joint mounted wheels and three interchangeable faceplates for maximum expressiveness.
ImageExpressions: LEGO Speed Buggy by graznador, on Flickr

Bonus pic to show how he integrates with the official Scooby-Doo sets.

See the full LEGO Speed Buggy gallery.
graznador

Postby jp-30 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:44 am

Quick question. It's currently Daylight Savings time (PDT) on the US West Coast, I believe. the contest ends at 11:59pm PST, so that's actually when clocks turn 10:59pm on the US West Coast?

If I'm correct, I don't want people missing out because the contest ends an hour earlier than what they were assuming the deadline is...

I'm hoping the deadline is when clocks hit 11:59 PM on the US West Coast - ie PDT, not PST!
jp-30

Postby dWhisper » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:18 am

11:59 PDT, or the last minute before the clock switches over to Thursday where Don and Ace live.
dWhisper

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds