[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - A digression on Scalping...
Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

A digression on Scalping...

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: A digression on Scalping...

Postby Iare Tosevite » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:21 am

Seems to me that it depends on timing.

If bought during usual price or sale, it's not really scalping since it's still in production.

However, knowing that it was terminated and during black friday, it's closer to the definition of scalping.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby kelano28 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27 am

kelano28

Postby ufjason » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:21 am

Sorry but that's a load of BS! Lego is in the business of selling sets. You better believe I would buy every hoth base I saw when it was discontinued. In fact, I bought ten sets two holiday seasons ago. I paid retail for them, which at 49.99 was pretty good compared to TRU at the time. I was also limited to 5 and they had stacks of them! I was in Orlando at the time and made two separate trips. I was holding onto them for last holiday season and you know what, they were re released! The set availability can't be compromised when they were out for so long in wide distribution at both Lego's website, stores and TRU. You had your chance to buy it either online or at retail. So, if you missed this set the first time, shame on you for not taking advantage the second time. They even had them on sale at TRU at one point.

One time I was in a Lego store and tried buying all of the sith infiltrators when I saw them post discontinuation. They looked in the back and said they didn't have anymore and they'd have to limit me to two. I didn't argue one bit, as it's their prerogative to do so and I accepted that. If they were smart, they would only put them out one at a time if it's a limited set. The store near me is very proactive in taking care of customers and do not let anyone purchase in bulk in store if the set is limited. However, they do take phone orders and those in the know typically order a lot before they ever hit the shelves. Again, they limit the total amount of one set they can buy. I typically get preferential treatment there as I buy so much. In the last year, I've spent close to 2000 on Lego, so don't say I'm hurting their business. I bought a lot at a scratch and dent there, and late black Friday found over ten star destroyers and four MTT's lingering on shelves. I took my fill after everyone else had their chance.
Last edited by ufjason on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby DarthMC » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:34 am

DarthMC

Postby Tyrant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:04 am

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Tyrant

Postby kyphur » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:08 am

It seems that the people upset by the problem of supply & demand are the ones who seem to think owning the sets they want is their right.

No it's not. You have the same chance as everyone else to get the sets while they're in production. We know about them months before they're released so stop buying cola for 3 months and save your change for the new sets.

There is no solution because the problem is fictious.
kyphur

Postby ufjason » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:45 am

, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 am

Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby bigospedros » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am

it's posts like that one from ufjason that make me wish I lived in the US !

bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Tyrant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Tyrant

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:55 am

Solo

Postby Tyrant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:33 am

Last edited by Tyrant on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-The Sith Code
Tyrant

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:37 am

I was editing my reply as you posted so there's more there than when you read it.

But yes, leaching. You're stepping into an established market as an extra middleman to profit. Like I said before: you're still providing a service to the community, but at a cost. People don't like you for this. Deal with it. You think TRU cares that people are always complaining their prices are marked up?

Solo

Postby onions » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:44 am

tyrant you drone on and on replying with the same rhetoric. we get your point. seriously. you're not adding much else to the discussion beyond your initial post.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby kyphur » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 am

Last edited by Solo on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Yeah... opinons on the government really ought to be kept out of this sort of thread. Try the BCS.
kyphur

Postby Tyrant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:57 am

Last edited by Tyrant on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Sith Code
Tyrant

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 pm

I answered your question before you even asked it: the problem here is that people don't like scalpers. The only solution is to deal with it. The thread this was split from was asking why can't LEGO just rerelease sets that are in demand, and it died off because it's an absurd idea because it wouldn't be as profitable for them as making new ones.

If you have a more specific question then please repeat it. But if you just want to know what's the problem and it's solution, well, it's been covered.

Solo

Postby Tyrant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:15 pm

-The Sith Code
Tyrant

Postby tamuhockey » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:23 pm

As a question - do people whining about scalpers, consider it scalping if a someine is an autorized LEGO reseller (or even store resellers, ala Wal-Mart, Target, etc) - who are able to purchase the products direct from LEGO for below MSRP, but then turn around and sell them for MRSP, in bulk? Its really no different from people buying at MSRP, and asking for more than MSRP - there is time and money invested in the initial purchase, storage (long or short-term) and marketing for resale, that needs to be made back somewhere down the line - one cannot expect resellers to take a net loss on all their products. If anything, purchasing farther upward the supply channel gives them an advantage over all other potential customers, and allows them to control a much larger percentage of the markets' supply, than an ordinary retail customer. For sets purchased at retail - at least all market participants have an equal (in theory) opportunity to purchase.

As well - shouldn't you also be getting on TLC's case, for selling their items at MSRP via the website, when they are selling them for much, much cheaper to resellers, and don't have anywhere near the overhead that their channel partners have? That's just blatent profit, for profit's sake. We certainly Can't have companies making a profit on products they sell.

The term "SCALPING" is just a concept invented so people have someone/something to blame so that they can feel better about not being able to afford products that are underpriced for their respective market. What people seem to consider scalping, is really just the markets' natural way of correcting itself to try and reach equilibrium - without it, free market economies CAN NOT FUNCTION EFFECTIVELY. Its a necessary function - it provides a great service to the market (and all its participants - buyers/sellers) - and the only reason to get upset over it is that you seem to think the world is completely fair, and that you are entitled to something despite lacking one or more of the following (time/energy/money/intelligence) when compared to the rest of the market participants who are in the market for a specific underpriced good/service.
tamuhockey

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:28 pm

Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars