Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Previews new DC Super Heroes sets for SDCC

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Previews new DC Super Heroes sets for SDCC

Postby Staff » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:02 pm

76096_Superman-Krypto-Team-Up

When I think LEGO, I think Forbes, which is why it makes perfect sense the outlet got the exclusive first look at some upcoming DC Super Heroes sets that will be at SDCC next week. I suppose it fits, LEGO only sees as as lines on a spreadsheet at this point anyway, but hey, some new sets. Three sets are going to be available at the con, 76096 Superman-Krypto Team-Up, which will feature Lobo (and a reuse of the Scooby Doo mold), 76097 Lex Luther Mech Takedown, and 76098 Speed Force Freeze Pursuit.

76098_Speed-Force-Freeze-Pursuit

There are some interesting things to be had in the sets. I'm really not a fan of Lobo, but I know he's a favorite to a lot of other people of my generation. Round nets, plenty of those terrible action shooter things, Reverse Flash, and probably the most important for those of us trying to build up a proper justice league, what looks to be Cheetah. I'd be more excited about Cheetah, but that representation looks a bit phoned in for my tastes, given how important of a character she is. Though those trans-green wings on the Krypto set gives me a Jedi Interceptor mash-up idea...

76097_Lex-Luther-Mech-Takedown-1200x1104
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2017/07/15/lego-previews-new-dc-super-heroes-sets-for-sdcc/
Staff

Re: LEGO Previews new DC Super Heroes sets for SDCC

Postby MyrmidonX » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 am

The Main Man himself! My Wolvie mini-fig will be waiting to skewer him. I just wish they had put his dog in as well, that would have been hilarious. I agree that Cheetah looks a bit phoned-in, mostly because her hairpiece has been used over and over, but she has her tail at least? That should count for something.
MyrmidonX

Postby PurpleDave » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 am

When I think LEGO, I think Forbes, which is why it makes perfect sense the outlet got the exclusive first look at some upcoming DC Super Heroes sets that will be at SDCC next week.

Okay, yeah, I got nothing this time. I know you guys regularly lament that non-AFOL medis sources get exclusive scoops on many other Superheroes sets, but those have always been movie tie-ins before. So if MonotoneNews.com contracts with the studio to get exclusive coverage of any merchandise or even news in general for Super-Accountant: The Movie, LEGO's little claw hands are tied. As a licensing partner, they have to play by the rules and hand it all over to the same media site as everyone else.

This, on the other hand...I have no idea. As far as I've seen, the only minifig in this batch that has been positively tied to a source is Batman, who's sporting his Rebirth costume. Justice League Action has been thrown around as a theory, but it took me all of about five seconds to eliminate Wonder Woman. Action WW has a "W"-shaped belt, and a Roman Legion-style skirt similar to Gal Gadot's, which hangs lowest in the center. This WW has a straight belt and a skirt that's split over her left thigh, which looks more like a tropical beach wrap.

Superman is, as ever, impossible to nail down, and ever-changing. This is going to be the _sixth_ distinct minifig using the same basic torso. The "S" shield has changed quite a bit over the decades in the comic books, so you'd think they'd have given it a refresh by now (Might Micros doesn't count). Besides that, I know that's Lex wearing his third iteration of the Warsuit, but I don't know the source for each design. Flash appears unchanged (seriously, when are the going to give him yellow boots?), but Cyborg got a new torso. The rest I don't really know much about, except that no yellow boots on Flash means little chance of ever seeing red boots on Reverse Flash.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Firestorm's debut as a minifigure (outside the LEGO games, anyway). Maybe not the best of Gerry Conway's creations, especially with Conway himself being a figure of some controversy, but it's still another figure to round out the Justice League roster.
Supersonic wrote:nobody is going to see the differences between the Rebels and ESB AT-AT. Definitely not kids.
fallenangel327

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:10 am

PurpleDave wrote:Okay, yeah, I got nothing this time. I know you guys regularly lament that non-AFOL medis sources get exclusive scoops on many other Superheroes sets, but those have always been movie tie-ins before. So if MonotoneNews.com contracts with the studio to get exclusive coverage of any merchandise or even news in general for Super-Accountant: The Movie, LEGO's little claw hands are tied. As a licensing partner, they have to play by the rules and hand it all over to the same media site as everyone else.

I have no plans on stopping said complaints, and I know what LEGO is doing it... it just doesn't make any sense. A lot of the places they release info certainly have reach, but do they have reach to the audience that's going to care about it? Forbes is a business site, and it's not like LEGO is a publicly traded company that needs to impress shareholders. Even when they do stuff like MTV or the big nerd sites, it's not hitting the announcement market for the core customers.

The time is far past when LEGO actually cared about AFOLs or fans, especially fan sites. I made a comment elsewhere, but we are just statistic numbers to LEGO at this point. It's not even just the news... it's the formulaic design they're using, the creep of prices and the lack of features, and the severe drop in creativity for the stuff that they are putting out.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby sparkart » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am

It's kinda ironic, but for rabid fans, it seems like you don't need to tell them anything, they'll find out through their (sometimes surreptitious) channels, usually sooner rather than later.

In defense of big business, they have to go by facts, numbers, statistics, real things. Going by feelings only works when you're using The Force, and that's make-believe. LEGO makes stuff for kids, because that's 90% of the buying market.
sparkart

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Personally, I would rather not know. I enjoy being surprised by finding something new on a shelf.

And I've made that argument of the target market as well, but kids don't read Forbes either...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Return to Licensed Themes