Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Toy Fair 2017] LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Videos

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

[Toy Fair 2017] LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Videos

Postby Staff » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:45 am

These are the last couple of videos and they are for Marvel Super Heroes. Ms. Marvel is the one thing I am most excited for out of this theme and, like Nick, will buy at least two copies to make a regular version and arms extendo version. I have a whole video for just her, seen above, but you should see the neat GOTG sets too, seen below, and a bonus video showcasing the new minifigure firing mechanism.

76080 Ayesha's Revenge

76081 The Milano vs. The Abilisk

76077 Iron Man Detroit Steel Strikes

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2017/02/18/toy-fair-2017-lego-marvel-super-heroes-videos/
Staff

Re: [Toy Fair 2017] LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Videos

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 pm

So they have to have designed a new torso (5th complete redesign if you count the modern keychains) to allow the arm to slide through it. That will certainly make it more difficult to transfer the arms to Plastic Man...
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby fallenangel327 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Yes, and pneumatic hose doesn't come in red, either. It's a shame.

At least now we have a proof of concept for Mister Fantastic and hopefully another Plas, even if the odds of us getting the former anytime soon is slim.
Supersonic wrote:nobody is going to see the differences between the Rebels and ESB AT-AT. Definitely not kids.
fallenangel327

Postby dWhisper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:20 pm

I just opened this set, and there's a bigger problem with Ms. Marvel now. The arm / bracers are all one part, and the over-sized nature of the bracers makes it so you can't pull the arms out. The only way to swap it out and put on normal arms is to cut the long arms.

They're also not a traditional tube/hose... they're a solid bendable plastic that feels different from anything else I've seen in LEGO. The torso itself is actually two parts that are fixed together (glued, maybe, not sure), and it feels lighter than a traditional minifig torso.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:46 am

fallenangel327 wrote:Yes, and pneumatic hose doesn't come in red, either. It's a shame.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.as ... &catType=P

They do make rigid 3mm hose in red. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to attach that to a torso, though. One possibility would be to take a page from this design and bore a hole through the reinforcement ribs inside the torso and just thread a long piece through. We know the minifig hand will fit in the end. Achieving a fit with just enough friction to hold a pose but not enough to scarf up the flex tube might be a bit tricky.

dWhisper wrote:I just opened this set, and there's a bigger problem with Ms. Marvel now. The arm / bracers are all one part, and the over-sized nature of the bracers makes it so you can't pull the arms out. The only way to swap it out and put on normal arms is to cut the long arms.

You're maybe assuming I'm not totally okay with shredding the original torso if that's what it takes to get the arms free, as long as I can figure out a way to get them into a Plastic Man torso afterwards? A bigger problem is that the one cuff is gold. Is that painted, or molded? If it's painted, I can deal with that easily enough. Molded and I might have to cut at least one end off anyways and carefully bore a hole into the end that will accept a minifig hand post. The cuffs may need to be sanded down to be closer to the diameter of the middle section. I mean, it's clear that this won't be just a simple part swap like I've done to get some of my increased variety of basic Batmen and Robins, but I used to customize SW action figures. The biggest trick is making it look like it could be a stock LEGO piece afterwards, and not some hand-painted miniatures war-gaming piece like a lot of custom minifigs tend to be.
PurpleDave

Postby fallenangel327 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 am

It would probably be easier to just cut the arms and reattach them inside the Plastic Man torso. No need to cut up a perfectly good Ms. Marvel figure.
Supersonic wrote:nobody is going to see the differences between the Rebels and ESB AT-AT. Definitely not kids.
fallenangel327

Postby PurpleDave » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 am

fallenangel327 wrote:It would probably be easier to just cut the arms and reattach them inside the Plastic Man torso. No need to cut up a perfectly good Ms. Marvel figure.

Yeah...no reason to save it either. The arms are the important part to me, so why would I chop them up to save something I don't have any need for?

Besides, you guys seem to be riding on a pretty huge assumption, which is that you _can_ attach regular arms to this torso. Compare the diameter of the bendy arms with that of the thin section of a regular arm's connector pin. It looks at least 50% thicker, which means a regular arm would fit pretty much like the tokens in a game of Operation. Just tight enough to slide in and out without actually contacting the hole at all. So, again, I have no problem shredding the torso to get the arms free intact.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am

My comment was more directed at the fact that I'm not exactly cool with slicing them up (despite Ace egging me on most of last night while I was building this set and sending him some pictures).

* To answer the bracer question, it's molded. It extends slightly past the bracer part
* The bracer part feels harder than the bendy arm part, but it's one continuous piece
* The diameter of the bendy arms looks to be the same as a normal minifig arm
* Removing the arms will be easier on Ms. Marvel, since her torso is actually two pieces that's been fused together (I haven't gotten brave enough to try and break one yet, it feels very connected)
* The hands are just regular hands, so they can be removed
* The set that this figure appears in is red hot garbage

I'll get some pictures posted later with my breakdown on it.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:26 pm

dWhisper wrote:My comment was more directed at the fact that I'm not exactly cool with slicing them up (despite Ace egging me on most of last night while I was building this set and sending him some pictures).

Fair enough. You actually seem to care about the character, where to me she's just a source of a new and interesting part that _may_ also prove to be useful.

* To answer the bracer question, it's molded. It extends slightly past the bracer part

So one end is molded in gold plastic? I mean, I assumed it was molded in hard plastic to make a secure fit for minifig hand stems. But if they painted over red, I could easily get rid of the gold. If it's gold all the way through, that will make it a lot more difficult, and possibly not worth even attempting.

* The bracer part feels harder than the bendy arm part, but it's one continuous piece

That's pretty standard post-Exo-Force, now that they've mastered the art of overmolding parts. We get overmolded headgear/hair all the time, plus all short-sleeve arms and most two-tone legs are overmolded. The 1x2 plates with the long spines from Exo-Force were the first dual-material overmolded parts I know of, and they were probably done for a combination of safety and durability purposes, though the blending was pretty shoddy.

* The diameter of the bendy arms looks to be the same as a normal minifig arm

There's a whole range of "diameters" involved on a minifig arm, so it'd help if you could be more specific. The only true diameters would be the flange on the shoulder pin, the shaft of the shoulder pin, and the area directly around the wrist. The rest of the arm is shaped a bit more like a ball of dough resting on a table, and never quite gets to be as thick as the internal dimension of a standard modern torso (not to mention it's very flat near the shoulder compared to how thick it is closer to the elbow).

Now, as I said, I don't really care about saving the original torso (or torsos, if it turns out the only way I can make this work is to get two of these and cut the arms in half to get a pair of red cuffs). The Plastic Man torso is going to be more of an issue, since I would have to modify it considerably to allow an uncut set of arms to pass through the center, and threading an uncut set of arms through bears the potential to crack the torso. _If_ I can pull it off with a single set of arms, I'd probably want to test it out on a torso that I don't care about at all and then just destroy that to extract the arms without any risk of damage. If I have to use two sets of arms to make one that works, I'm not really sure how I'd want to incorporate them into the Plastic Man torso.

In your case, however, you might be better off just waiting for someone to custom-print a LEGO torso with this same design (I'm sure it'll happen), because I'm fairly confident that you won't be able to attach standard minifig arms to the torso.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. The diameter on the bendy arm looks to be the same diameter as the minifigure arm connector (not the arm itself). The bracer looks to be about the diameter of a minifigure arm. I have pictures of it side-by-side with a stock blue torso with the arms off, and the opening's look very close to one another. I haven't opened up my second copy of the set yet to get the other one to cut up and test, though.

dWhisper

Postby fallenangel327 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:14 pm

PurpleDave wrote:Fair enough. You actually seem to care about the character, where to me she's just a source of a new and interesting part that _may_ also prove to be useful.

You could always sell the torso further down the road, though I don't know how much it would be worth without the arms.

PurpleDave wrote:So one end is molded in gold plastic? I mean, I assumed it was molded in hard plastic to make a secure fit for minifig hand stems. But if they painted over red, I could easily get rid of the gold. If it's gold all the way through, that will make it a lot more difficult, and possibly not worth even attempting.

Ah. I assumed you were going to paint over the gold bit. But then you wouldn't be concerned with the lack of flexible red hose.

PurpleDave wrote:In your case, however, you might be better off just waiting for someone to custom-print a LEGO torso with this same design (I'm sure it'll happen), because I'm fairly confident that you won't be able to attach standard minifig arms to the torso.

Someone on Eurobricks demonstrated earlier this month that the Ms. Marvel torso was in fact capable of accepting regular minifigure arms (see here). It isn't an absolutely perfect fit, but it works.
fallenangel327

Postby Crusader » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 am

Is it really worth the effort, or should we just wait for the figure we want to be made? Lego has produced so many types and varieties of figures in the last ten years. We have Banana men, Dr. Who, Mr. T, and a hundred other unique figures we never thought we would see be made.

Patience you must have.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby fallenangel327 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:07 am

You don't exactly see characters making Plastic Man references on The Big Bang Theory.

While I wouldn't consider Plas an obscure character by any means, he's definitely a B-lister, and with us already having received one version of him there's no guarantee that they'll ever consider putting him in an actual set. Besides, both Dr. Who and Mr. T are popular enough to be known outside their respective fanbases, while Plastic Man is not.

dWhisper already touched on this back in January, but in spite of all the clickbait you see about how "nerds have won" and how nostalgia cash-ins cage in our creativity or whatever, nerdy things aren't actually popular. What people identify as "nerdy" things belong to a manufactured identity that marketers have created by cherry-picking a dozen or so pop-culture franchises and turning them into Funko Pop figures. It doesn't matter how many low-effort Avengers parodies you see on YouTube, the only people who actually care enough about superheroes to discuss Gene Colan's Captain America (for example) are nerds. And even if you've played all of Nasir Gebelli's Sirius Software titles, or you own a genuine Thunder Cross PCB, or you got every ending in Muv Luv, or you love SSI so much you've done single-class runs of all the Phantasie games on your Atari ST, tell people you're a gamer and they'll assume you own Companion Cube earrings and make "All Your Base" jokes all the time. At this point the "nerdy" things in question have largely been divorced from their roots and repackaged into a form suitable for mainstream consumption.
Last edited by fallenangel327 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fallenangel327

Postby PurpleDave » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 am

fallenangel327 wrote:You don't exactly see characters making Plastic Man references on The Big Bang Theory.

I thought there may have been _one_ reference to Plastic Man on TBBT (as in remembering seeing one, not "it just seems logical that it would have happened by now"), but even a TBBT wiki failed to yield any results.

While I wouldn't consider Plas an obscure character by any means, he's definitely a B-lister, and with us already having received one version of him there's no guarantee that they'll ever consider putting him in an actual set. Besides, both Dr. Who and Mr. T are popular enough to be known outside their respective fanbases, while Plastic Man is not.

Exactly. Marvel has had tons of revised minifigs, primarily thanks to the fact that every character is contractually required to have a costume change the next time they appear in a new movie. For DC, if you take the Bat-family out of the equation (for which the only characters that have _not_ received a second minifig by now are pretty much those that got their first in the last year or two), there's a very short list of characters that have at least two distinct minifigs:

1. Superman (classic, SDCC, Clark Kent, MoS, BvS, MM)
2. Wonder Woman (classic, New 52, BvS, MM, and one announced)
3. Lex Luthor (basic suit, dark Super Powers, light Super Powers, BvS)
4. Martian Manhunter (classic, M-crotch)
5. Green Arrow (SDCC, the other one)
6. Bizarro (SDCC, MM)
7. Flash (regular, MM)
8. Captain Cold (regular, MM)
9. Lois Lane (MoS, BvS)

So, not even ten characters make that list (I'm not counting Supergirl because the only difference is the hair, while all three decorated parts stayed the same). There are currently at least 11 Bat-villains released for TLBM that have 3+ minifigs now, which beats 2/3 of that list (Joker and Harley even beat Superman and Wonder Woman by a few iterations). If you eliminate Mighty Micros and SDCC, that removes a whopping eight minifigs and four characters from that list (and flat out erases Bizarro from the pile of official minifigs). Even Hawkgirl and Jon Stewart (two of the seven characters featured in the acclaimed Justice League animated series) haven't gotten a single minifig so far.

Given all that, and the fact that Plastic Man has never really had any major costume revisions, why should we expect that they'll actually capitalize on this new arm design and make a second Plastic Man minifig? Ironically, this may even be the _only_ character who will get to make use of this upgrade. Elongated Man is by far the least famous of the classic stretchy types. Mr. Fantastic is tied up with Fantastic Four, which Marvel seems to be dead-set on scuttling unless they get the rights back from Fox.

dWhisper already touched on this back in January, but in spite of all the clickbait you see about how "nerds have won" and how nostalgia cash-ins cage in our creativity or whatever, nerdy things aren't actually popular.

The fact that you're even referring to them as "nerdy things" is proof of this. Nerd is more about academics, while Geek is the cultural side. Oh, sure, lots of nerds are big into geek culture, but they don't have any better claim of ownership over it than anyone else.
PurpleDave

Postby fallenangel327 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for the breakdown. I do feel it's worth pointing out that even on the Marvel side we have three versions of Thor and four of Ultron but only one of characters like Power Man, Iron Fist, and Hobgoblin, according to Brickset. Even Quicksilver has only been released once in minifigure form. Wasp has had more costume revisions than even Supergirl, and we haven't even had one of her (though we can obviously expect that to change soon).

PurpleDave wrote:Given all that, and the fact that Plastic Man has never really had any major costume revisions, why should we expect that they'll actually capitalize on this new arm design and make a second Plastic Man minifig? Ironically, this may even be the _only_ character who will get to make use of this upgrade. Elongated Man is by far the least famous of the classic stretchy types. Mr. Fantastic is tied up with Fantastic Four, which Marvel seems to be dead-set on scuttling unless they get the rights back from Fox.

I wouldn't mind a Rita Farr figure with stretchy arms, even if it would be a tad misleading. You wouldn't even need a new mold. Though the LEGO Group will most likely give us the other Elastigirl in this form first, once The Incredibles 2 comes out.
fallenangel327

Postby PurpleDave » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:Thanks for the breakdown. I do feel it's worth pointing out that even on the Marvel side we have three versions of Thor and four of Ultron but only one of characters like Power Man, Iron Fist, and Hobgoblin, according to Brickset.

None of those three characters is based on the MCU, though. Iron Man might be the only Marvel character with more variations than any DC minifig that's not named "Batman". Captain America, Thor, and Hulk all have a pile of minifigs (or a mix of minifigs and bigfigs, in the latter case) mostly thanks to the MCU, with some SDCC and MM support thrown in. Wolverine and Magneto just got their third variants through Mighty Micros, even though neither has seen a movie tie-in, just based on the sheer stubborn popularity of the characters in spite of everything Marvel is doing to drive people away from the X-Men. GotG has five characters who are represented at least twice, solely due to the MCU. Spiderman has far more variants than is justified for a character with so little variation in his costume's appearance (and the only interesting version is from SDCC). The Netflix series are buzzworthy, but apparently not viewed enough to even warrant an SDCC minifig yet (where the Arrowverse has had three), and the only minifigs based on any of those characters drew from print sources.

If you eliminated the MCU from the equation, I suspect only a handful of Spiderman and X-Men characters would have seen repeat minifigs by now, and I kinda doubt that anything else would have really sold very well. On the other hand, they'd probably have a much wider range of print-based characters by now, including the Fantastic Four and a much wider range of X-characters. Part of the issue is that Marvel doesn't have Batman, and DC does. Iron Man may be able to hold his own against Batman in terms of costume variations, but there's simply no Marvel character with the range of well-known villains that Batman has. I suspect at this point (thanks to TLBM) there are more Batman villains with official minifigs than Marvel villains combined.

Even Quicksilver has only been released once in minifigure form.

He's got a sticky past, along with Scarlet Witch. Both are shared by Marvel Studios and Fox. Disney is flat-out vetoing any attempt by Fox to produce merchandise tied to their films, so that's right out. The MCU killed him in a petty response to Fox deciding to include him in DoFP, so that too has run its course. That pretty much leaves just the print-based X-Men sets (of which we've seen a whopping three, one of which is Mighty Micros, and all three of which featured both Wolverine and Magneto...plus that fan-enraging SDCC release of Jean Grey). Given the massive range of X-characters, and the paltry number that have actually been released, doesn't it make more sense to flesh out the big names before repeating characters that showed up elsewhere?

I wouldn't mind a Rita Farr figure with stretchy arms, even if it would be a tad misleading.

To be fair, even Plastic Man is less about being super stretchy and more about being able to change shapes. I mean, he does both, but the stretchy bit seems to be more an aspect of conversation for him, while fleshy GL-style constructs (shaping a hand into a shovel, for instance) and full-on shapechanging are more common when he's actually interacting with someone physically. And the stretchy bit involves his neck a whole lot.

Though the LEGO Group will most likely give us the other Elastigirl in this form first, once The Incredibles 2 comes out.

Oooh, I hadn't even thought of that yet. After getting teased with just two of the characters in the Disney CMF line, I'll be so pissed off if they don't do at least one set that completes the full family (plus Frozone). I mean, it sounds like Cars is limited to the DUPLO range this time around, where the last time I was able to pull a few useful pieces out of the brick-based sets that helped me make some of the characters in minifig scale. I was kinda hoping a new movie would mean more printed mouths.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:00 am

PurpleDave wrote:
I wouldn't mind a Rita Farr figure with stretchy arms, even if it would be a tad misleading.

To be fair, even Plastic Man is less about being super stretchy and more about being able to change shapes. I mean, he does both, but the stretchy bit seems to be more an aspect of conversation for him, while fleshy GL-style constructs (shaping a hand into a shovel, for instance) and full-on shapechanging are more common when he's actually interacting with someone physically. And the stretchy bit involves his neck a whole lot.

Funny you should mention that, because it's something that I'll cover when I get the review for this set done (sometime next week, taking pictures this weekend)... but that exact same thing is true about Ms. Marvel as well. She can change shapes, but does it fairly rarely (mostly because she doesn't have a full grip on her powers yet, but it actually happens in her very first appearance).

Her power set certainly allows her to stretch her arms and do things, and she does it... but rarely like you see in the minifigure, and I'm not sure she's ever done just her arms. It's almost always all of her (usually while yelling "embiggen!" or the like... she's also a big nerd). Far more often, you'll see her increase in size and go all stretchy, fighting like that.

This look for a character fits pretty much to Mr. Fantastic better than anyone, since we see him do things like this a lot, but just feels weird when you know other characters with the look.
dWhisper

Return to Licensed Themes